Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my first Sky (the one with the megabucks mark-up in Roseville). One glaring item distracted from the great lines of the car - the front mounted license plate holder. Has anyone written about feasibility of mounting the front plate lower, possibly even under the front grill? Legalities aside, would this be possible?

·
Registered
115 Posts
SkyHope said:
I saw my first Sky (the one with the megabucks mark-up in Roseville). One glaring item distracted from the great lines of the car - the front mounted license plate holder. Has anyone written about feasibility of mounting the front plate lower, possibly even under the front grill? Legalities aside, would this be possible?
Some states (like mine) say that plates are required in both the front and back. If that's the case with you, then you have to make a personal decision if you're going to do it But I think it's one of those laws that isn't really enforced. I don't know how anal your state is about absolutely having plates up front. But I've seen plenty of cars here in Alaska with no plates in the front--only on the back.

I asked my dealer if the Sky I have on order will come with a front plate mount, and he said no (which made me feel real good).

Long story short--I'm only putting my plates on the back. The law be damned. They'll have to ticket me first (but I'm not holding my breath on that)!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thank goodness we dont have to have front plates. But if we did I would consider this. Has anyone measured to see if a plate will fit here?

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in agreement with you skyhope. My first Sky I looked at the dealership had the plate mounted right in the center of the front bumper. Really bad in my opinion. Law requires it here in Idaho. I looked at the grill in the front and it has holes in it and I'm not sure if that would have effect on engine cooling but I would't think so since radiator is about 12 inches behind grill. Has anyone else thought about mounting in grill or like Skyraider betting on not being ticketed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
should I get mine, I will not have a front plate on it.....I will wait for that infamous first ticket...then deal with the issue later!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
For some reason Mine had the license frame in the trunk (tennessee does not require a front tag). I looked the frame over and it looks like it mounts from under the edge of the fromt bumper and also has 3M tape to stick it to the bumper. I don't see why it cannot be flipped over so the majority of the tag hangs below the front bumper in front of the grill area.. since the Solstice mounts theirs in front of the grill area I don't see why it would hurt on the Sky mounting it in that location.

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
That picture of the front plate looks ok to me.
I don't think many people (other than maybe the police) will spend much time looking at the license plate....the car's too beautiful:D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
GRinLR said:
Thank goodness we dont have to have front plates. But if we did I would consider this. Has anyone measured to see if a plate will fit here?
Arizona is like Tenn, no front plate required (thank goodness) :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree the plate needs to be moved into the grill area. I plan to manufacture my own "L" bracket to mount it from the existing holes. I'll check to be sure it doesn't restrict air flow to the radiator, but don't expect it to be a problem.

We need a front plate to pass vehicle inspection in Maine. It probably won't be on for long!

Thank goodness they don't drill mounting holes into the front like the Honda S2000!

·
Registered
262 Posts
slvrsky said:
Law requires it here in Idaho. Has anyone else thought about mounting in grill or like Skyraider betting on not being ticketed?
Law requires in CT as well. I can't see why the cops would care one way or the other, in the grill or above it. What are they supposed to do, get the blue prints from Saturn to determine which way it was designed?

Personally, I am going to buy an extra front license plate holder from the dealer. I am going to take it and put in behind the rear tire of my friends F-350 and back over it. Then place it in the trunk of the Sky. Any trouble with a LEO and I open the trunk and say, "Officer, it just fell off and I ran over it, I was going to the dealer on Monday and get a new one."

Hey, marlboromike. Do you think that will work?

·
Registered
18,521 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
Law requires in CT as well. I can't see why the cops would care one way or the other, in the grill or above it. What are they supposed to do, get the blue prints from Saturn to determine which way it was designed?

Personally, I am going to buy an extra front license plate holder from the dealer. I am going to take it and put in behind the rear tire of my friends F-350 and back over it. Then place it in the trunk of the Sky. Any trouble with a LEO and I open the trunk and say, "Officer, it just fell off and I ran over it, I was going to the dealer on Monday and get a new one."

Hey, marlboromike. Do you thing that will work?
Myself personally...and of course I am retired Law Enforcement so I have a certain amount of immunity..will not put one on the front...but I believe if u want to do things right, silicon it on to the black meshing...there is enough room there, but put it to the left or right...don't center it...it will not hurt the appearance of the car that way. Does that help? By the way, u cannot center it without bending the license plate because the mesh takes the shape of the front grill. It is angled. Must go to the left or right...the center plate does not work

Michael

·
Registered
380 Posts
Custom front plate bracket

Sky Hi said:
I agree the plate needs to be moved into the grill area. I plan to manufacture my own "L" bracket to mount it from the existing holes. I'll check to be sure it doesn't restrict air flow to the radiator, but don't expect it to be a problem.

We need a front plate to pass vehicle inspection in Maine. It probably won't be on for long!

Thank goodness they don't drill mounting holes into the front like the Honda S2000!
There is a $75.00 fine in Ohio if you do not have your front plate installed. I plan to take my Sky to work and have the machine shop boys fabricate one that mounts under the lowest cross bar (if feasible) so as to not effect air flow. I'll let everyone know how that works after I "get 'er done"!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
FReaK said:
On my SC2 when the cops have ever asked me about my front plate, I just tell them my brother-in-law backed into my car and snapped the bracket.......sure it happened a year ago, but its true
Likewise F -

I lived in Virginia and my SC2 NEVER had a front plate and was only questioned about it once in 10 years to which I responded that it had been backed in to in a parrallel parking spot. Producing the second plate for an officer usually calms any concerns they may have.

I was cited in a parking ticket in Washington DC (which enforced the Virginia Law) when I would park on the streets overnight but I simply wrote the agency and explained I wasn't using the front bracket and I would place the plate in the windshield, which I did when I left it on the street.

It does call attention to your car and could add to a reason a cop may want to follow you for a bit, but I don't see a judge really enforcing the fine if you offered an excuse and an apology.

~SC2

·
Registered
165 Posts
As my boss used to say when we made a decision that might not be popular with the bigwigs in headquarters (but were the right thing to do for the clients we served) "Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission".:) :)

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
When my SKY was delivered it came with the licence plate frame already mounted on it. It is riveted on under the lip so that when you drill out the rivets you will not be able to see the holes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
marklynn70 said:
When my SKY was delivered it came with the licence plate frame already mounted on it. It is riveted on under the lip so that when you drill out the rivets you will not be able to see the holes.
I understand we can request the dealer not install the front holder when they prep our car here in CA... hope that works so we won't have to deal with undoing anything.

Next Q - would it make any sense to put the plate behind the grill? Brainstorming here.

When it is mounted on the front of the bumper it protrudes a lot, especially because the bumper comes out to a slight point - I love our personalized plate but don't want it sticking out in front of our SKY!!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyHope said:
I understand we can request the dealer not install the front holder when they prep our car here in CA... hope that works so we won't have to deal with undoing anything.

Next Q - would it make any sense to put the plate behind the grill? Brainstorming here.

When it is mounted on the front of the bumper it protrudes a lot, especially because the bumper comes out to a slight point - I love our personalized plate but don't want it sticking out in front of our SKY!!!
If it was behind teh grill it would not be visible. But on the grill should be OK

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SkyHope said:
Yes, you can request that the plate bracket not be mounted in CA. You'll need to sign a form that states you are aware that a front plate is required - this gets the dealer off the hook. I have asked my dealer to "place the front plate bracket in my hand". The sales manager and my salesman have both noted my request and will honor it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.