Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I've noticed in many of the pictures that have been posted recently is that the rear end of the Sky is a little high off the rear wheels. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to lower the rear end about 2-3 inches ? Is there some technical reason why it's raised up the way it is, or was it purely the designers' desire to raise the rear end for aesthetics ?
:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Eibach pro kit will lower you 1.4 inches front and rear, and Eibach sportline will do 2" front and rear... Run you about $220...

They are pretty damn low as they sit, but there is unsightly fender gap IMHO... I will definately be lowering my car.. but its tough to make plans on something that is 6 months down the road.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
850 Posts
If you have never driven a car this low, trust me, you don't want it any lower. You will be high centering on speed bumps and dragging the tail leaving parking lots. One reason it may look a bit higher empty is because it is empty. Once you get a body or two in it it settles down. If you lower it any more you will probaby run the risk of rubbing the tires in the wheel wells.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
There have been several posts about the rear wheels rubbing, lowering the car further would seem to amplify this problem. TexSon I agree , the roads around Houston are filled with potholes, and not to mention the drive entrances are very steep.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
TexSon said:
If you have never driven a car this low, trust me, you don't want it any lower. You will be high centering on speed bumps and dragging the tail leaving parking lots. One reason it may look a bit higher empty is because it is empty. Once you get a body or two in it it settles down. If you lower it any more you will probaby run the risk of rubbing the tires in the wheel wells.:eek:
:agree: What he said.:driving:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
I've tried lowering my rear end but on matter what I do it is still all there. Now if I turn sideways it doesn't look too bad but I still see it. Oh were we talking about a car. Duh, my bad....Skip... house is clean , grass cut, and I refuse to clean the garage or go to work, Ain't got squat to do except answer posts... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a look at this picture of the Sky's rear end

Jordan said:
Eibach pro kit will lower you 1.4 inches front and rear, and Eibach sportline will do 2" front and rear... Run you about $220...

They are pretty damn low as they sit, but there is unsightly fender gap IMHO... I will definately be lowering my car.. but its tough to make plans on something that is 6 months down the road.
When I look at this picture of WGH's new Sky, the rear end definitely is raised up higher than on, say, a Honda S2000 or Mazda MX-5 Miata. I think it IS the fender gap that Jordan mentions that is unsightly. The Sky's competitors are lower, so I don't think it's a problem getting over curbs and speed bumps with them. Maybe KappaMan can shed some light on my question: Is there a technical reason for the raised rear on the Sky, or was it just the designers' pen that did this ?

WGH SKY.jpg
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
SKY USA said:
When I look at this picture of WGH's new Sky, the rear end definitely is raised up higher than on, say, a Honda S2000 or Mazda MX-5 Miata. I think it IS the fender gap that Jordan mentions that is unsightly. The Sky's competitors are lower, so I don't think it's a problem getting over curbs and speed bumps with them. Maybe KappaMan can shed some light on my question: Is there a technical reason for the raised rear on the Sky, or was it just the designers' pen that did this ?

View attachment 1305
It was raised just because I have a big butt and Saturn, kind souls they are, knew that the rear end would probably bottom out when I sat down in the seat. Why do you think they posted that warning on the inside of the door? They did it for me , found out I wanted a Sky and ... Butt I digrease, it is because I designed it . Oh No know you know.... Run Skip Run they know. Skip ...out of breath.... :willy: :willy: :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skip said:
It was raised just because I have a big butt and Saturn, kind souls they are, knew that the rear end would probably bottom out when I sat down in the seat. Why do you think they posted that warning on the inside of the door? They did it for me , found out I wanted a Sky and ... Butt I digrease, it is because I designed it . Oh No know you know.... Run Skip Run they know. Skip ...out of breath.... :willy: :willy: :willy:
Skip - I was talking about the Sky's rear end, not yours ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
830 Posts
I have a 2001 Miata and it will bottom out and rub on some curbs, you have to watchyour self on speed bumps....Seal9:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
I don't think that would be a good idea. I think it just looks too high because of the design. Besides, lowering could possibly be detrimental to the ride and control of the vehicle.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I agree with Tex. The car will settle enough when two normal sized people get into it. Besides, the designers are the pros... why mess with sucess!!
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
SKY USA said:
Skip - I was talking about the Sky's rear end, not yours ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Bad.....Skip.....:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
belletire said:
Maybe a full gas tank will lower it :confused: I actually like it raised up...
I always have gas and I wish my rear end were nice and raised butt over the years has really sagged .... Skip... needs new frame before he scratches his bottom....:lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Mallett has been sucessful in lowing the car 2" all the way around while still using 19" wheels. Slight wheel well rubbing has been seen, but nothing that affects the driving of the car or wearing of the tires. So, yes you can drop 2" inches all the way around for better handling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Jordan said:
Eibach pro kit will lower you 1.4 inches front and rear, and Eibach sportline will do 2" front and rear... Run you about $220...

They are pretty damn low as they sit, but there is unsightly fender gap IMHO... I will definately be lowering my car.. but its tough to make plans on something that is 6 months down the road.
On top of that going to a 245/40 wheel will lower the car about 0.5" extra and going to a 245/35 about 1". You're speedo is going to be off though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
You guys want to see low? try have long tube headers on a lowered 93-02 camaro or firebird... if you look under the car you will notice nothing really hangs extremely low from front to back, and as long as you take speed bumps slow and learn to take angles you will be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jordan said:
You guys want to see low? try have long tube headers on a lowered 93-02 camaro or firebird... if you look under the car you will notice nothing really hangs extremely low from front to back, and as long as you take speed bumps slow and learn to take angles you will be fine.
I really appreciate all this great input ! I want to emphasize that my objective in lowering the rear end of my Sky is not to create a super-low, "wicked" look that might compromise the practicality of the car, where I could barely get over speed bumps and exit driveways. All I'm trying to do here is to lower the rear of the car so that it looks more "level", like most all of its competition. I challenge anyone to name a competitor that has this same "@ss high" stance ! :D (other than the Solstice ! :lol: )
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top