Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of short, so when I test drove the Sky the hood blocked such a big portion of my view of the road that it actually reminded me of driving my 74 Cougar years ago.:willy:

74Cougar.jpg

So I was wondering if the seat could be raised any to help me see over the hood?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
There's always the old 'telephone book' trick. :jester:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm sure that spacers...a stack of washers or better yet a two steel bars drilled out could be inserted between the seat frame and the floor board. Most machine shops would have no problem modifying it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
same problem

my wife is also short and complained about not being able to see very well also,i hope the is a way to correct this?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well when aftermarket seats are available I bet their will be brackets available that raise the seat... but Otherwise I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I would have guessed not too many aftermarket companies would modify something like that due to the possibility of being sued in the event that someone got hurt. In a rollover, if the bracket let go or something...I dunno

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
I would have guessed not too many aftermarket companies would modify something like that due to the possibility of being sued in the event that someone got hurt. In a rollover, if the bracket let go or something...I dunno
Not to mention that your head would stick up above the roll brace (Aerofairing)

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the near future, there will be an adjustable driver seat, manual or power. It has yet to be decided which one they are gonna go w/.

*looks around for GM guys* :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Yes but you must account for the tall drivers...

The chrysler crossfire has 2 bars behind the seat, and when I was in the seat my head stuck above them, and I am just under 6'2"...

So someone say 5'8" raised to my heighth I can't see being illegal.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scooter said:
In the near future, there will be an adjustable driver seat, manual or power. It has yet to be decided which one they are gonna go w/.

*looks around for GM guys* :D
I should of been more specific, I was asking if the seat was adjustable, but from the responses I guess not.:banghead:

Not that big of deal just not used to seeing the hood of my car while driving. With my ION I see nothing but Street!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm short too, but I didn't notice it so much when I was (test) driving it. Maybe because I already have a low car - not sure... I was told I look tiny in it though. Phone book works for me, perhaps a pillow or something... as long as I can reach the clutch...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
nscrbug said:
There's always the old 'telephone book' trick. :jester:
Good one, got a kick outta that. Dont forget the blocks on the pedals trick :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Hey, then you could look like Fred Flintstone. Sorry couldnt resist that one. :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
richmcc said:
I should of been more specific, I was asking if the seat was adjustable, but from the responses I guess not.:banghead:

Not that big of deal just not used to seeing the hood of my car while driving. With my ION I see nothing but Street!
Yes the seat is adjustable. It goes front to back and the back part goes slant or no slant..... Skip... Adjustin to no Sky.....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
richmcc said:
I am kind of short, so when I test drove the Sky the hood blocked such a big portion of my view of the road that it actually reminded me of driving my 74 Cougar years ago.:willy:

View attachment 1319

So I was wondering if the seat could be raised any to help me see over the hood?
go to your local walmart or target store and get a nice chair cushion. they come in all styles, colors, and designs these days. and they'll raise you up at least an inch or two. who cares if you're sitting on a cushion? it's better than a phone book or building a hi-rise seat in your car. cheaper too. oh yeah, get a matching cushion for the missus too.

good luck!........................:cool:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SkyRaider said:
go to your local walmart or target store and get a nice chair cushion. they come in all styles, colors, and designs these days. and they'll raise you up at least an inch or two. who cares if you're sitting on a cushion? it's better than a phone book or building a hi-rise seat in your car. cheaper too. oh yeah, get a matching cushion for the missus too.

good luck!........................:cool:
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, since the seats are not adjustable I am not going to let it concern me. I just need to get used to seeing the hood when I drive. Which will just remind me of how :cool: of a car I am :driving:

·
Registered
14 Posts
richmcc said:

LOL! I thought you meant up Up & Down Which will be in the near future like I said. Of course I'm sure you know that it goes Back & Forth The Recline is the round knob on the bottom left of the drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Slope

I think the main reason you do not see the hood while driving many cars these days is that the entire front end from the base of the winshield slopes continuously downward all the way to the leading edge. This is not so with the Sky - the hood is nearly flat for about 3/4 or so of the distance between the windshield and the front edge - then slopes downward and out of view.

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
As a short person(5'3"), I've always been used to not being able to see the end of my car's hood. My 95 SL1 and 01 SC2 were both too sloped to allow me to see the front edge of the car. In my Sky, I can see the more of the hood than my other Saturns- I can see until just past the front wheel curve. You just have to get used to estimating where the fender is... and not parking too close to the curb!:nono:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts