Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't put up top

RedLine.There is a little rectangular door behind each seat. It should not pop up when trying to put up the top, but on the right side of the car it is popping up and prohibiting from bringing the top all the way forward to lock it. It has a strong spring behind it. Car has been garaged with top down for many months, driven only in warm weather with the top down; now I need it in December in NY, and I really need to put up the top! Any suggestions welcomed! (I am not a mechanic. Is this something a GM dealer would know how to fix?

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
316 Posts
The "little rectangular door" is called a tulip and it is supposed to come up with the top! Its the one not moving you need to hold up as you put the top up.
Either the cable on it popped off, broken clip or just needs adjusting . There's even youtube videos on it somewhere out there

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Very, VERY, common problem. The tulip flaps are pulled open by a cable (each side) when you lift the top. There is a plastic clip that attaches the cable to the flap and you'll probably find that clip has broken. Easy replacement and you can find appropriate clips at your local car parts store in the help isle (look for doorlock rod clips).

See: Tulip Panel Flap/Door Issue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very, VERY, common problem. The tulip flaps are pulled open by a cable (each side) when you lift the top. There is a plastic clip that attaches the cable to the flap and you'll probably find that clip has broken. Easy replacement and you can find appropriate clips at your local car parts store in the help isle (look for doorlock rod clips).

See: Tulip Panel Flap/Door Issue
When the tulip pops up, it keeps the top from moving forward to lock at the windshield. I think it should remain down, as the one on the driver's side does. I will look for the clips, but I wish I had one to look AT, so I know what to look FOR! I will
look for the recommended entry shown above. Thanks--doug

·
Administrator
7,904 Posts
When the tulip pops up, it keeps the top from moving forward to lock at the windshield. I think it should remain down, as the one on the driver's side does. I will look for the clips, but I wish I had one to look AT, so I know what to look FOR! I will
look for the recommended entry shown above. Thanks--doug
The flaps should go up as the top goes up. They are there to make room for the top frame. The one that is staying down is keeping the top from getting to the windshield.

If you lift the flap as you raise the top you should be able to get it into position to latch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just went through this same exact problem myself. Both tulip flap doors, the little plastic clip had broken and the pull wires were hanging loose. I didn't know about the common door part info at Autozone so I spent $20 on ebay. Even still, I consider $20 to be a relatively cheap fix. They worked great.

Only thing to be aware of is order of operations when you go to replace the clips: Put the plastic clips in the tulip doors first and then insert the metal wire holders into the plastic clips. If you go the other way around, the plastic clips are expanded too wide by the wire guides to fit in the tulip panel holes. Not that I figured this out the hard way or anything... :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
An alternate solution that I used (after replacing the clip twice) was to drill a small hole in the metal ferrule at the end of the cable (after the bend) and reassemble it onto the tulip panel using a washer and a small cotter pin. I'd send pictures but my son is currently borrowing the car, again. I haven't had any issues since doing the mod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
An alternate solution that I used (after replacing the clip twice) was to drill a small hole in the metal ferrule at the end of the cable (after the bend) and reassemble it onto the tulip panel using a washer and a small cotter pin. I'd send pictures but my son is currently borrowing the car, again. I haven't had any issues since doing the mod.
That's a great idea! Unfortunately the metal ferrule on one side (lovely little pot metal part...) broke. Anyone know how hard it is to replace that part of the cable?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Now be sure you get some rest before viewing this video as it may well put you to sleep but you can see the flaps open when he raises the top and close when he puts the top down.

Why have the flaps there otherwise? If you want to stop the one panel from popping up cut the cable that pulls it from below. (just kidding, you need to have both pop up)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks, Sahein. But how hard is it to replace that cable? Are there any instructions anywhere?
It is not very hard to replace. There is just one screw. The hardest parts of removing and replacing the broken cable is finding the right position of the top to gain access to the screw. First take a picture of the cable routing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts