Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock single CD radio and audio system. (Unfortunately, the CD player is broken). FM radio sounds fantastic. Rock music sounds crisp and you can feel the bass.

AUX from my phone or an MP3 player, however is very flat. There is no bass. The same song transmitted over FM radio sounds amazingly better compared to the song on my phone sent through AUX, encoded at 320kbit/s.

FM radio has a left channel and a right channel but no bass channel. I'm assuming the stereo is 'smart' enough to reconstruct and enhance a bass channel from the stereo FM radio waves. Why not for the AUX input?

I am not an audio engineer, I just like to feel my music. What do I need to do differently to get MP3's to sound as good as FM Radio or is it a fool's errand?

thanks
philip

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Something is wrong, you should find the Aux input as good or better than FM radio, even with MP3's. Things to check:

- Swap the audio cord for a known good one.
- Verify that the player you are using (and MP3 files) are good, by playing them through another device (or just headphones)
- Similar to above, check the the audio settings on the player, mae sure the bass equalizer is not set high.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. I had time to play with it after work and it appears if I crank the volume to max on the phone and change the equalizer from "rock" to "pop" it sounds pretty close to what I would expect. The vocals sound a bit muffled with "rock" which is odd because they sound crisp over radio. I even had the same song flipping back and forth (beastie boys - no sleep till brooklyn)

I tried both VLC and Android music players. Much better. Thanks.

philip

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am not an audio engineer, I just like to feel my music. What do I need to do differently to get MP3's to sound as good as FM Radio or is it a fool's errand?
I have new tweeters and a 60W subwolfer and a state-of-the-art pioneer head unit. I do miss the original 6 CD player.
For me it's a fools errand. For each CD - to get the sound I really like requires custom equalization. And a many CDs never sound great no matter what I do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just curious. I have the Monsoon system but I'm not overly thrilled with the sound unless i crank it up a bit. If i want to stay with the stock head unit is it a simple matter of replacing the speakers with same sized upgraded items? Will there be modifications required in doing so? What ohms rating (2 or 4) should i be looking for ? Would adding in a separate amp to run the sub woofer improve things?

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
People who have replaced audio components have generally agreed that the speakers and amplifier supplied with the Monsoon system are pretty good, and that the biggest improvement is achieved by replacing the head unit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ok.... but i would prefer not to replace the head unit as i would rather not have to worry about theft and resulting damage.

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
ok.... but i would prefer not to replace the head unit as i would rather not have to worry about theft and resulting damage.
In that case, you may want to do nothing. Improvement from anything other than the head unit has been reported to be minimal at best.
Do some searches for the audio threads for more detail. There are several on the Solstice forum also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but getting the head unit out of this car is not an easy task even if you were trying to steal it. There are much easier cars out there to pick on than ours! I do agree with John in that the best result you could achieve would be to replace the head unit. I changed mine out with a nice moderately priced Panasonic from Crutchfield and it sounds great with the stock speakers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts