Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my dealer today checking on my status. My salesperson told me she has a customer that is a car collector. When his car comes in he is going to bring a flat bed and put the Sky on it and drive it home to just sit in his garage. Is this guy crazy or do you think the SKY will become a collectible one day?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Well, if you wait 20-30 yrs, and its still in mint undriven condition yea, it could be, but again why? Lets see, I would rather have driven it for the next 20 yrs, and sell it for what it may be worth and sock my extra money in an account and bet my account will be worth more than the value gained on the sky. And i will have enjoyed driving it all those miles.... YMMV,

S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I would rather drive my car around than let it sit there. My friend has a Ferrari 360 Modena and it just sits there in his garage because he doesn't want to put miles on it. What a waste of a $200,000 car.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
I think it's a '53 Corvette. I really do.

The '53 'Vette was quirky, and broke a lot of rules... Glass body, headlight baskets, crazy lines... And it came with an underpowered six. Still, the '53 is highly collectable as the first of a fine breed - even with its well-documented flaws.

The '07 SKY has a lot in common with the '53 'Vette. The only question is, "Will it live on and have a legacy?"

Sure. Why not? I'm thinking these will be classics one day, just because of the interest that they generate today. In my opinion, as much as the '65 Mustang, maybe more.

'Vette? Mustang? Corvair? Edsel?

Cars that break the mold - good or bad - often become collectible if they generated interest when introduced. I think the SKY is a pretty safe bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
jdigiant said:
I think it's a '53 Corvette. I really do.

The '53 'Vette was quirky, and broke a lot of rules... Glass body, headlight baskets, crazy lines... And it came with an underpowered six. Still, the '53 is highly collectable as the first of a fine breed - even with its well-documented flaws.

The '07 SKY has a lot in common with the '53 'Vette. The only question is, "Will it live on and have a legacy?"

Sure. Why not? I'm thinking these will be classics one day, just because of the interest that they generate today. In my opinion, as much as the '65 Mustang, maybe more.

'Vette? Mustang? Corvair? Edsel?

Cars that break the mold - good or bad - often become collectible if they generated interest when introduced. I think the SKY is a pretty safe bet.
That may be true, but only 300 1953 Corvettes were built that year. That's why it's so collectible. The Sky is a hot car, beautiful styling, innovative and I love mine but I truly don't think it will ever be in the category of old Vettes. There are going to be thousands built, even the 2007 model year. That makes it all the more "common". It will be worth some value if it's garaged and never driven but I wouldn't want to drive that car after it has sat for so long. It will need major work.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
triple black said:
That may be true, but only 300 1953 Corvettes were built that year. That's why it's so collectible. The Sky is a hot car, beautiful styling, innovative and I love mine but I truly don't think it will ever be in the category of old Vettes. There are going to be thousands built, even the 2007 model year. That makes it all the more "common". It will be worth some value if it's garaged and never driven but I wouldn't want to drive that car after it has sat for so long. It will need major work.
No argument there. I don't think it will command the price of a '53 Corvette, ever. But I don't equate "Collectible" with "Rare." The '57 Chevy is Collectible, and they made a ton of those... Same thing for the early Mustangs. So while it won't command a crazy price tag, I bet down the road people will want to have one in the collection just because it is innovative and stylish. And if they're available and relatively inexpensive, then all the better.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,445 Posts
Ehhh...I don't think so. The Vette was really the first American made sports car that worked and could compete in looks with the European fair. The Mustang was the car that laid the groundwork for the Pony car. The Sky is entering a class of car that has a long and distinguished history. It's not setting trends. If anything, the first year Miata would be a colector's car for bringing back the roadster class into the mainstream. We all know how "collectable" that car is. (Nothing against Miatas, I'm just sayin')
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
First it's North American built, it's a sports car and the production is somewhat limited.

Remember the VW Bug? My step father said those would be worthless in 30 years. They made to many of them. Now they're hard to find. And although not worth the price of a 53 Corvette they are collectable and worth some money.

I'm hoping this car is enjoyed by everyone that drives it. There are lots of manufacturers building modifications for the Sky. I suspect the Redline and the Mallet will be the real money makers but that any Sky will have some real collector value in 30 years. Especially the ones that have been taken care of.

Mine will never see winter! I'm going to also get it rust protected. I hope it will be in good shape for a long time. Perhaps someone will want it when I'm done with her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Well, if someone has the money to gamble on the car then so be it. Maybe they will be laughing all the way to the bank in 20 years, or maybe just laughing at their luck. Either way, a first year model with only 10k made could tack on a few $$ over the next several years...especially when we all have only our memories of driving our Skys and we think back about how it was so great- one of us might just make the guy an offer so we can get the 'ole Sky feeling again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
moni6 said:
I was at my dealer today checking on my status. My salesperson told me she has a customer that is a car collector. When his car comes in he is going to bring a flat bed and put the Sky on it and drive it home to just sit in his garage. Is this guy crazy or do you think the SKY will become a collectible one day?
My dealer told me the same thing yesterday. They have sold a few that have been taken home and placed right in the garage. The value of the car seems to increase the moment it leaves the dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
I plan to keep mine a long time and hope that it grows into a collector. I will take good care of it -- but I bought it to DRIVE.
I am documenting it from the beginning, and this information is work more than just a pristine care with no provenance. You need well care for car and documentation to gain Classic Status.
Even with that there is NO guarantee that the SKY will be either collectible or classic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Collector Here

:cool:
moni6 said:
I was at my dealer today checking on my status. My salesperson told me she has a customer that is a car collector. When his car comes in he is going to bring a flat bed and put the Sky on it and drive it home to just sit in his garage. Is this guy crazy or do you think the SKY will become a collectible one day?

Aloha Moni...I understand what this person is doing I have done the same thing...Some of the cars I have just sit. I collect them...drive them once in a while, restore them, sell them...all part of the hobbie.

He will drive the Sky...just not as much as you or me...There are several cars I have that I only drive perhaps 3-5 times a year. Infact I'm selling one to make way for my Sky to fit in the garage. I only plan on putting 1,500-2,000 miles a year on my Sky. I don't drive to work...I work at home...:D

I hope the Sky keeps its price up...it's looks good right now..as long as they don't up the production to more than 10,000 a year we all should have a car that keeps it's value and has great re-sale value as well.

Alohas :cool:
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
I've been told in the past that a car is a really bad investment. I have to ask myself how long it will take for a 2007 Sky to appreciate back to it's origional selling price.

And then there are all the expenses of storage and the like. I think that owning a car has to be a love affair. And if after you're done with it, someone is willing to pay you big bucks for it. All the better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
rick112 said:
I've been told in the past that a car is a really bad investment. I have to ask myself how long it will take for a 2007 Sky to appreciate back to it's origional selling price.

And then there are all the expenses of storage and the like. I think that owning a car has to be a love affair. And if after you're done with it, someone is willing to pay you big bucks for it. All the better.
Exactly, if you add the costs of insuring the vehicle for 20+ yrs. It would not be a money maker.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
All original vs full restoration

If you watch the Barrett-Jackson type auctions a LOT of the cars are full frame off restorations - not too many that are 100% original or with low original miles. ANd the full retoration does nto seem to affect the value much - in fact one of the cars I was surprised to see go for as low as it did was an early year Corvette - which was an all original not restored car that was showing the wear and tear of age - it sold for something like $40,000 whereas other similar fully restored vettes were going for doubel that or more.

So yes it is a complex equation and a bit of a gamble.

Don't forget too that cars like the 57 Chevy may have been manufactured in high volume but how many of them survived?

I read once that the first model year for the GTO had something like 50% of the cars sold ended up in body shops or junk yards within the first year. For a couple decades the value on my 64 barely changed but in the past few years it has jumped quite a bit - who knows whether the values will continue to be high or if at some point they will drop again.

For value to be high the demand must be greater than the supply. so if there are only 300 examples of a particular car but 0 interested buyers then little to know value - if there are 100,000 examples of the same car and 500,000 interested buyers then value could be high.

Still it would probably be better to put 50 or 100 miles on it every few months in order to keep all the seals porperly lubbed etc - unless you were goig to drain all the fluids or add some kind of storage treatment chemicals - and not just put it in a garage but rather in a climate controlled facility, then maybe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
I love my sky...but I'm driving it! Put $25,000 in a good mutal fund and I can bet that the mutual fund will be worth much more than the car 30 years from now! A typical gain of about 10% over 30 years will turn $25,000 into over $400,000! (it's true) drive the car, have fun and start a small mutual fund!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
ishot3bucks said:
I love my sky...but I'm driving it! Put $25,000 in a good mutal fund and I can bet that the mutual fund will be worth much more than the car 30 years from now! A typical gain of about 10% over 30 years will turn $25,000 into over $400,000! (it's true) drive the car, have fun and start a small mutual fund!
Or invest in an Index fund :thumbs: Or start watching Mad Money :lol:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top