Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone purchase a car cover yet? If so, the Saturn, the Kappasphere, or other? The Saturn Sky web page doesn't tell you anything about it, just $295. The Kappashpere gives some good descriptions of the Weathershield, Sunbrella, and Evolution covers, and even the Weathershield is $40 less than the Saturn.

It's going to be awhile before my garage is cleared out enough to park it inside, and even then the cats just love the raggtop and leave white hairs all over the black top!

I don't drive mine for several days at a time and in addition to some loose pieces of bark and pine needles, there are random drops of amber tree sap or something sticky.

I've got the Zaino polish on it and even the sticky stuff wipes off with a little water or damp cotton cloth, but I'd rather not get the stuff on it to begin with!

Anyone have any observations on what they purchased, or regrets?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Got the Official Saturn Cover, and love it

Super-snug fit, SKY logo to tell where the pointy end is... It's nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
VUETH1S said:
Anyone purchase a car cover yet? If so, the Saturn, the Kappasphere, or other? The Saturn Sky web page doesn't tell you anything about it, just $295.....
I purchased the Saturn car cover for the Sky. It is black, I guess the only color that it comes in. The inside is a gray color. Looks good on the car and has "SKY" just above the front bumper.

The cover has elastic around the bottom when on the car to help keep it securely on the car.

It says that it is made of "Ultralon". Fabric is light and fits in the trunk when in the storage bag without taking up too much space. If it gets dirty, the directions say to "use all-purpose cleaner". If the whole cover needs to be cleaned, "wash in large capacity washer with a mild cleaner, cold water and NO softener. Dry in either a commercial dryer with low heat setting, or on an outside clothes line."

You can also get the cover locking cable, Saturn part number 21070066

Below is a link from someone in a Miata club. The link is not dated so I don't know how old it is. But is does list the different covers and the "good" and "bad". It makes a referrence to the fabric having "some water repellency problems" and that it is not available that much anymore. We'll see, so far, I like mine.
http://www.sandiegomiataclub.org/SDMC/Garage/Car_Cover_FAQ.html

If you go after market, here is a note from the CoverCraft web site.
NOTICE REGARDING DARK & BRIGHT COLORS OF WEATHERSHIELD® FABRIC -
We do not recommend the use of bright color WeatherShield fabric on light color surfaces.
"Crocking" is a fabric industry term for color transfer of dyes from a fabric to another surface. Each dye-lot of "WeatherShield" fabric is tested for both wet and dry crocking and certified to AATCC Test Standard ratings of 4 or higher (out of 5) for resistance to crocking. But even with continuous testing there is still a possibility that bright colors (red, green, blue, black & yellow) can transfer color dye when rubbed against light color surfaces​
Something to thing about when ordering after market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have the Saturn cover for my Sky. It is very easy to put on and take off. If you purchase a Saturn cover make sure you read the direction on how to put on and take off. It is much easier if you do it the right way. At the beginning I was taking the cover off and putting it in a big ball and then I finally read the directions and it's much easier.

I do not have a garage and the cover keeps my Sky clean and dry. It also looks better than the pictures.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info....jd, that's the same cover? must be the lighting, it looks like 3 different colors :)

Any other feedback is welcome!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Yep, Same Cover...

It was shot in the garage with a flash, and the flash effect versus the ambient lighting is proportional to the distance the camera is from the cover. (Sorry, old job came back to me for a moment there.)

The actual color is probably most like the darkest image of the entire car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Molded plastic

I wonder how difficult/expensive it would be to have a pre-formed plastic shell that could be attached to a hoist in a garage that could be raised and lowered as needed at the touch of a button. It could be clear plastic, and would not have to conform to every single nook and cranny, but would be a fairly cloes fit - perhaps with a few rubber bumpers to ensure no damage occurs if it is lowered a bit too far. That was you could still see the car when it is under the cover - it would be protected better against anything bumping into it.

For my dad's 59 Bonneville we got him a car bubble similar to this one: http://www.carcapsule.com/ - although I would not recommend it for every day in and out use - he stores his car over the winter - and the bubble is pretty easy to use - and keeps out mice and bugs and such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts