Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready for a new car cover and am wondering if anyone has experience with a cover that they feel is really great. My old cover lasted 3 years but is now shedding the felt liner leaving the car a mess once cover is removed.I'm in Florida and park under a car port.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought mine from California Car Covers and very happy with it. It's breathable, water resistant, fits very well, 3yrs old and still like new. It sits under a Florida carport for 7 months a year. Taken from my security Wyze Cam

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Which one did you get and how much did it cost. The print in that catalog is too small to read even on my 21" monitor!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Which one did you get and how much did it cost. The print in that catalog is too small to read even on my 21" monitor!
Here is a link to the web site,
Stormweave Outdoor All Weather Custom Car Cover

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've used California Car covers for all my cars and trucks for years. NOAH fabric. Pleased with their fit and performance including life span for outdoors.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I use the Covercraft WeatherShield® HP All-Weather Custom Fit Car Cover. They are more expensive but they seem to last forever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Many years ago, I just bought a generic cover, not specific to the vehicle and it works fine for my purposes, although not a custom fit. I came across a Costco sale a few weeks ago and didn't know this but a custom car cover specific to the vehicle can be purchased from Costco (ordered through Costco but supplied by a third party I believe). The price is $239.99 CDN shipping and handling included. Now this is through the Canadian Costco site and I haven't checked if it's available through the U.S. Costco site but a great option for us in the Northern States:

Coverking Silverguard™ Custom Vehicle Cover

·
Registered
17,477 Posts
A 30 dollar car cover does the identical job as a 300...don't be fooled by it breathes...it doesn't scratch the paint...but I would look for one that has grommets on the bottom so u can strap the cover in order to prevent wind from lifting it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
A 30 dollar car cover does the identical job as a 300...
Yeah, but the $30 one does it for a season before dissolving due to UV while the $300 one probably does it for 10 years before replacement is needed......

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Yeah, but the $30 one does it for a season before dissolving due to UV while the $300 one probably does it for 10 years before replacement is needed......
Hmmmmm. $30 x 10 = $300 x 1 Which is the better deal?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
For me, the better deal is to buy cameras, watches, tool etc. that will last the long haul rather than putting up with shoddy crap that fails on you when you least want it to. Especially when, as you point out, it doesn't necessarily cost you any more to buy quality once than crap 10 times.

Reactions: The Carrier

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought a generic $50 cover for mine. The only time I have the cover on is for winter storage in my garage. The only time I have it outside of the garage is when I'm driving it. It's been holding up like new for 4 years now. A $300 cover would be overkill for my specific needs.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
For me, the better deal is to buy cameras, watches, tool etc. that will last the long haul rather than putting up with shoddy crap that fails on you when you least want it to. Especially when, as you point out, it doesn't necessarily cost you any more to buy quality once than crap 10 times.
For durable goods (tools) that I plan to keep for the long term, serious items (cameras), and things that i really need to be able to count on, I couldn't agree more. For many items "good enough" really is. The challenge sometimes is to know where to draw the line, and to determine what the true calculus is. $300 now is actually more than $30 x 10 years, and that assumes that something doesn't change in 5 years that i don't need it anymore, or the replacement interval is actually 2 years, 4 years, or even longer.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yes we are, Mike!

And price you should pay does depend on intended purpose. If it is just a dust cover to be used inside a garage, an old bed sheet will work just fine or a cheap car cover. For anything that had to be durable outside in the UV, you have to ramp up price considerably to get both durability and something that won't scratch the paint or hold moisture against it after it rains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. New to the group. Kicking in on the topic, I have a 2007 Sky, just bought a month ago. I live in NW New Mexico, at 5400' and the UV here is crazy bad. Recommendations on a good cover for UV? Won't be in garage or carport, needs to be able to deal with wind and occasional microburst. Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Hey guys. New to the group. Kicking in on the topic, I have a 2007 Sky, just bought a month ago. I live in NW New Mexico, at 5400' and the UV here is crazy bad. Recommendations on a good cover for UV? Won't be in garage or carport, needs to be able to deal with wind and occasional microburst. Thanks all.
Welcome to the forum.

As has been mentioned already, Covercraft is among the best covers available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts