Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
How the heck did they do that? You have to pack like a moron to put stuff in there in some way or another to put stress on the glass...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Strange how they complain about having to slam the doors to shut. Ours work great. I agree that the trunk is hard to close, but if the top is pushed in correctly so the guide pins rest in their holders, not on top of them, it is not really a problem, just an art form! I have no idea how they managed to break the window!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Car and Driver is a crap auto magazine - they display a bias towards BMW, Honda, and Toyota products and always vote in favor of them. I guess the companies that pay the C&D staff the most money gets the best reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
What complete idiots... didn't THEY read the forum? This car is not for storage. Geez, what morons. And don't people know that the word itself "overpack" means that they packed too much? So, basically, they had more than they needed AND they broke the car. People like that don't deserve cars like these. That's fine, let all the other people read the reviews and NOT know how cool it is to own one......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
What complete idiots... didn't THEY read the forum? This car is not for storage. Geez, what morons. And don't people know that the word itself "overpack" means that they packed too much? So, basically, they had more than they needed AND they broke the car. People like that don't deserve cars like these. That's fine, let all the other people read the reviews and NOT know how cool it is to own one......
I agree! Jerks didn't have enough room for their case of beer and large pizza's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
647 Posts
Easy there folks....

I can understand your frustration, but let's not be too harsh.

Try to remember that not everyone will have studied the beautiful sky as much as those of us who hang out here on the forum...

It is disappointing that they broke the glass. My speculation is that they put some jackets or a duffel bag on top of the gas tank bulge, then threw the top back, gave it a firm pressing down, then had trouble pushing it down and closing the trunk. It's an honest mistake, and the only thing they couldn't test was the interior sound pressure level with the top up.... It didn't stop the road tests.

I'm also willing to bet that they tried to pack stuff in the sides where the armature for the top folds down, and that was part of the reason that they had trouble closing the trunk because with stuff under there, it's almost impossible to get the top down far enough to rest in the "hooks".

Most notably, the title line of the story reads:
Saturn's new roadster sets a style and performance high water mark for the brand. It's not so much a maxi Miata as a Corvette junior petite.
That's actually high praise from Car and Driver.

Keep in mind that the review was overall very positive. It was predictable that they would complain a bit about the power, but compared to older Miatas, it is at least as good if not better.

That's just it, everyone (even the staff of Car and Driver) is starting to become accustomed to some fairly high power to weight ratios... Muscle cars are back, but, now they corner too, and most of our modern performance machines are getting pretty close to the raw acceleration of the halcyon days of big blocks, tripower, and giant Carter Thermoquad carbs...

Remember, they gave it good marks. Honestly, I'm surprised the review is as positive as it is, because as others have noted, the preferences of the C&D staff and their experiences are with some of the absolute best sports cars around (like the nearly $100,000 set of Porsches, Vipers, Z06 Vettes, high end BMWs and Maybachs....)

Again, to be mentioned as similar to and thought of fondly for the styling being like the Vette, is not bad at all. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
What complete idiots... didn't THEY read the forum? This car is not for storage. Geez, what morons. And don't people know that the word itself "overpack" means that they packed too much? So, basically, they had more than they needed AND they broke the car. People like that don't deserve cars like these. That's fine, let all the other people read the reviews and NOT know how cool it is to own one......
:agree: Well put...:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
That's just it, everyone (even the staff of Car and Driver) is starting to become accustomed to some fairly high power to weight ratios... Muscle cars are back, but, now they corner too, and most of our modern performance machines are getting pretty close to the raw acceleration of the halcyon days of big blocks, tripower, and giant Carter Thermoquad carbs...

Remember, they gave it good marks. Honestly, I'm surprised the review is as positive as it is, because as others have noted, the preferences of the C&D staff and their experiences are with some of the absolute best sports cars around (like the nearly $100,000 set of Porsches, Vipers, Z06 Vettes, high end BMWs and Maybachs....)

Again, to be mentioned as similar to and thought of fondly for the styling being like the Vette, is not bad at all. ;)
Even the family sedan of today is expected to, and does, perform better than the 60's muscle cars some of us grew up on. Even the lowly supercharged v6 Grand Prix's can run head to head with a stock '66 GTO. (note I said stock)

And if you are able to snag a Redline with 0-60 in the very low 5's, that puts you into a very fast class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something we can all learn from C&D's experience

Crimson Avenger said:
It is disappointing that they broke the glass. My speculation is that they put some jackets or a duffel bag on top of the gas tank bulge, then threw the top back, gave it a firm pressing down, then had trouble pushing it down and closing the trunk. It's an honest mistake, and the only thing they couldn't test was the interior sound pressure level with the top up....

I'm also willing to bet that they tried to pack stuff in the sides where the armature for the top folds down, and that was part of the reason that they had trouble closing the trunk because with stuff under there, it's almost impossible to get the top down far enough to rest in the "hooks".
:thumbs: Now that makes sense - I can easily imagine one of us eventually testing the limits of trunk space and finding ourselves in the same fix. With your explanation and C&D's willingness to fess-up about their mess-up, I believe others will be saved the same fate.

I also found the review to be fine. I don't care about the power and will be OK with the engine. Ergonomics are issues but well within my tolerance range. Can do something eventually if we decide engine exhaust noise needs tweaking. Wouldn't be getting ours without willingness to accept the entire package. This type of info will help lookers discriminate. I don't think many will be disuaded. Lucky us!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
C&D's comparing the Sky to the Vette is not saying how good it is.....go back and read what they say about the C6 and you will see that it wasn't exactly praised ! Now had it been a BMW or Porsch, the story would be different.

The 'good' the wrote on the Sky was probably because they didn't want to have to pay for the broken window out of their own pockets. Giving it a decent report was an out for them.

I still agree with those who say only a moron could be senseless enough to over pack the trunk then try to force the top down. But I think that is the accepted definition for most of the auto writer/reporters these days !!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,617 Posts
achieftain said:
Even the lowly supercharged v6 Grand Prix's can run head to head with a stock '66 GTO. (note I said stock)
Hey hey hey!!!! Watch who you're calling "lowly"...:willy: :nono:



I'm just joking...:lol: Though there are FWD Grand Prixs in the mid 9s...three of them...handful in the 10s...and 11s are almost getting common.

Back to topic, having any GM car compared favorably to the Corvette at less than half the price is never a bad thing.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top