Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new CAR & DRIVER issue came in the mail today. There is a review of the SKY. They took a nice yellow (perfect color) one and put it through it's paces. Unfortunatly, the review had a large negative slant to it. This may cause many to think twice about the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What do you expect..those rags always put down US cars. If the Sky came from Europe of Japan they would rave about it. If GM "passed the envelope" around to the various mag editors like Honda does, the car would suddenly become the "cats meow". A candidate for a Car of the Year Award !! :mad:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
What is on the cover? I will have to pick it up...maybe you get mags in the States before us, just like the SKYs!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I swore off believing car magazines back in the 80's, when the obvious Japaneese predjudice was raring it's head full force. Road and Track had a comparison test agains a new Z-28 and a Toyota Supra, of course they chose the Supra as the better car, some of the reasons i remember them giving was the camaro was to big, and heavy, and was too slow... well when you went to their statistics box, the Z-28 beat the Supra in every catagory and weighed 300 pounds less... since then i don't read them except for a laugh every once in a while... usually while waiting in a doctors office.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
but... but... the automotive magazines are experts! They are always right, aren't they???

Remember that great MotorTrend Car of the Year, the Pacer? No? How about the Alliance?

hmmmm.... maybe those magazines aren't so smart after all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Electronic June Issue Car & Driver

If you care to get it immediately, you can order the single copy of the electronic version through Zinio. Go to zinio.com to order. The reader, if you don't have it, is a free download.

·
Registered
804 Posts
jonm said:
If you care to get it immediately, you can order the single copy of the electronic version through Zinio. Go to zinio.com to order. The reader, if you don't have it, is a free download.
What do you mean by it's a free download?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Zinio

The Zinio Reader application is a free download, not the magazine. You will pay 4 bucks for the issue and can download that immediately after paying. If you have never read electronic magazines, then you will need the free reader application. It works on macs and pcs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ggccg said:
but... but... the automotive magazines are experts! They are always right, aren't they???

Remember that great MotorTrend Car of the Year, the Pacer? No? How about the Alliance?

hmmmm.... maybe those magazines aren't so smart after all.

I even remember when the Chevy Vega was the "Car of the Year " !!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
drbob said:
...This may cause many to think twice about the car.
Magazines have been wrong before, they will be wrong again. If so (cause people to think twice), then maybe delieveries may speed up... and maybe the RedLine will be more readily available. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Way2Fast said:
I even remember when the Chevy Vega was the "Car of the Year " !!
Wasn't that "Car FOR a Year?" :D
After that it was just rust.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm canceling my subscription !

Just kidding :D . In addition to Car and Driver, I also subscribe to Road & Track and Motor Trend - these last two for over 20 years ! Hate to admit it, but I fail to see an anti-USA bias in the car reviews, unless it's justified. C'mon, do you REALLY think that the major car magazines take bribes by the Japanese and European automakers in return for giving their products favorable reviews ? I don't think so. Also, do you REALLY think that GM's market share slide over the past 20 years, and Japan's (Toyota's) increase is due to the automotive press ? If so, you're giving these magazines a lot more credit than they deserve.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
drbob said:
The new CAR & DRIVER issue came in the mail today. There is a review of the SKY. They took a nice yellow (perfect color) one and put it through it's paces. Unfortunatly, the review had a large negative slant to it. This may cause many to think twice about the car.
From what I read, the whole tone of the article was mostly negative, They spent much time bashing the engine for its lack of power with perjoratives such as "Gerbil Like" and "Buzzy". While the Engine is actually more powerful then the Miata.

There also seemed to be an assumption that the Miata was the better car without much backing it up.

I also feel they overexagerated things like the position of Window Switches, cup holders and storage compartment making mention of "John Denver crashing his airplane" in the process.

Putting the Top up they make it sound a lot more difficult than it was for the only time I did it.

In the beginning of the article they compare Saturns Customer Service to being close to Toyota and Honda, when from what I understand they have consistently beaten both of them. They also disparage the Customer Rating by saying "at least by the people who were polled" implying that the poll might be inaccurate or is questionable.

They even criticized the fact that they did not emboss the word SKY in the bumper!

I do not think this was an extremely negative article however, there were enough subtle wordings that led me to believe that it was biased against the Sky.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Just read Car and Driver on the SKY, and for them it was not as negative as they can be, most all thay had to say, had all ready been covered on the forum. They liked it more than the Solstice (so do we), said it could use more power, (so do we), liked the looks, (so do we) I had to check and make sure I was reading Car and Driver....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Motor Trend

The new issue of Motor Trend has a mostly positive "First Drive" of a yellow Sky. There only negatives were the top and the cupholders, oh and the fact that it's not a miata. For me, "it's not a miata" is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yes, biased against the Sky. I do agree. The fact is they were biased against the Solstice as well, but the sol owner love there cars. I think we are from the same stock as them. If car and driver can change your mind about owning a SKY or Solstice you should not buy one, you would never be happy. For the most part the members of this forum wouldn't let a car mag make up there minds for them, we are independent SKY lovers...Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
MISky said:
The new issue of Motor Trend has a mostly positive "First Drive" of a yellow Sky. There only negatives were the top and the cupholders, oh and the fact that it's not a miata. For me, "it's not a miata" is a good thing.
You buy a Miata if you have not seen a Sol or SKY....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Wasn't that "Car FOR a Year?" :D
After that it was just rust.....:thumbs:
How true...if you lived in a humid climate near the ocean you were lucky to get a "year" out of it !! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts