Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

In think I found a car that I want, it's in Tennessee and need it shipped to California, any suggestions on companies that are reliable and won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Shipping will run an average of $1200. We used to ship cars back in 2008 and it was $850/car wholesale. So I'm guessing $1200-$2000 dependent on enclosed or open, transporter or private. It's probably cheaper for you to fly out there and drive it home yourself. That is if it's a trustworthy purchase.... Here in MI we only have a few and RELIABLE is the best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shipping will run an average of $1200. We used to ship cars back in 2008 and it was $850/car wholesale. So I'm guessing $1200-$2000 dependent on enclosed or open, transporter or private. It's probably cheaper for you to fly out there and drive it home yourself. That is if it's a trustworthy purchase.... Here in MI we only have a few and RELIABLE is the best.
if it was summer I might consider driving but also not knowing the reliability of the car kind of deters me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used Montway Auto Transport to ship my Sky from Pittsburgh, PA to Long Island. Car arrived is great shape, within the time window they said it would, no complaints.

·
Registered
335 Posts
if it was summer I might consider driving but also not knowing the reliability of the car kind of deters me.
I also would say save some money and fly and take a few days driving it back. Coming from Tennessee, just take IH 40 all the way across you should be ok if you check the weather first. In the southern plains we get snow and ice, but it only lasts a day or so and then it's sunny and clear. If that route still makes you nervous just head farther south. IH 20 would be even less likely to have any issues or just head all the way to IH 10 and you'll have smooth sailing the whole way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Make sure your car is on the top level. Oil / grease dripping from a car above can stain the rag top forever.

Remember most cars drive outside. So should not do much harm to transport it on a open trailer.

I paid 550$ from Chicago to NY Harbor on an open trailer in 2014. Insurance is important and you should think it through before you decide. Insurance for the whole trip from Chicago to Europe was a percentage of the car value. I reported the car value extremely low to save money. So basically I had crappy insurance but saved a bundle on insurance premium, vat, sales tax and import tax because those were all based on car value.

But best is to drive it home yourself. Back home hand wash and detail your car yourself inside and outside. After that you know your ride and know what you bought !

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have used Reliable in the past. They are top notch, but will probably be at the upper end of your quotes. Most recent experience was with Lundstrom. I shipped open with them and the car came through fine. When you choose open carry, try and get your car placed in the most protected spot. If you and the seller have some leeway where it can be dropped off and you can pick up, it will be less expensive than door to door.
When I bought the Sky in October, it was only 600 or so miles away, so a good friend of mine hooked up his trailer to his diesel pickup, and we did it in one rather long day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've used Mercury Auto Transport for both my Sky and a Buick I purchased last week. Top-notch prices and they'll find you a trucker in 24-48 hours with great communication along the way.

Reactions: Malosos69

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Having sold some of my fleet of classic cars in the last few years (one to the Eastern US and two to Europe), I became aware of the shippers used but be aware that they aren't cheap - Ghost is in the right ballpark. Driving it out could be a much cheaper adventure.

Reactions: Malosos69

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used Mercury Auto Transport for both my Sky and a Buick I purchased last week. Top-notch prices and they'll find you a trucker in 24-48 hours with great communication along the way.
That's actually who I'm leaning towards at the moment, dealing with a guy named Roman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

In think I found a car that I want, it's in Tennessee and need it shipped to California, any suggestions on companies that are reliable and won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!
I'm a professional driver, I charge a straight $ 1000.00 dollars you supply gas and Insurance and any incidentals. Barring weather conditions can deliver in 3 days. If you are interested. I can send you my company information. [email protected]

·
Registered
204 Posts
How come a professional car shipoer can/will not provide insurance ?

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
How come a professional car shipoer can/will not provide insurance ?
It appears that he is a driver, not a shipper.
I asked the same question, and would certainly not trust any car to someone who didn't have their own coverage.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am sure Mark is a trustworthy driver. But in my opinion the deal he offered is a deal to walk away from.

Reactions: JohnWR
1 - 17 of 17 Posts