1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ours will never see one ... I can screw up a wash job all on my own :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I won't go to a carwash - I need my alone time with my SKY.

:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've only done it once, when I didn't have time to do it myself. No problems but I wouldn't let them use the brushes. It was funny, they dipped the brushes in the prewash and held it over the body, dripping it on instead of brushing. No leaks or anything to worry about.
Lisa

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Saturn dealership offers a free wash when you bring it in for service. But even they said they were afraid to wash it, because they didn't know what their soap would do to the top. You would think the Saturn guys would know how to wash it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I am hand washing mine. I wonder how many people are in my boat. I've never had a car that I wanted to hand wash before. Perhaps someone could post some helpful hints that is in the know.:D Heck I didn't even know how to use a chamois and I'm still not sure I'm doing it correctly.:willy:

Topics might include;

Rinse, Wash (recommended soap), drying (recommended method and materials), detailing and Finishing, top care, tire care, interior cleaning.

I know there was a post a while back on using a clay product.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Heck NO!!!! Hell...my Sky already leaks when it rains heavy...I can only imagine what the results would be if I ran it through an automatic wash! :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
msgtairforce said:
Has anybody used a automatic car wash for their sky? If so,any problems noticed?
Mine goes thru the car wash at least once a week and I have no problems. No leaks but lots and lots of stares. ..Skip....The car wash people know me by name and all the women there give me hugs when I drive up.....:lol: :) :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
They even let me sit in the car. I watch the brushes go round and round, all the pretty colors of soap, the bird crap coming off with the bug goo, and then the high pressure spray. When it comes to the air blowers the top lifts ever so slightly and then I drive to a stall and get out and wipe it down. I have no paint chips, no dings or dents and it shines like the sun when I am finished. The reason no dings or dents is because of my handicapped placerd that I use when I go shopping or Yadda Yadda. Skip....Still breathing and enjoying his days with a SKIPSKY.:) :) :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
The car wash costs me five dollars a week which is cheap for hugs with women....Duh huh...Skip....of couse I go to get the car washed....:) :) :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
rick112 said:
I am hand washing mine. I wonder how many people are in my boat. I've never had a car that I wanted to hand wash before. Perhaps someone could post some helpful hints that is in the know.:D Heck I didn't even know how to use a chamois and I'm still not sure I'm doing it correctly.:willy:

Topics might include;

Rinse, Wash (recommended soap), drying (recommended method and materials), detailing and Finishing, top care, tire care, interior cleaning.

Rick use that search feature to find that stuff out....Skip....:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hand Wash Only

Once I got my Sky my dealer gave me a kit that had a special wash solution and paint rejuvenator rinse. I use a Black Magic chamois to dry off and a microfiber cloth to do the fine detail work once it is dried. I donot use soap on the top just rise it off with water and it should bead up then wip it off with the chamois and it's all good the process takes me from start to finish about two hours. Time well spent I know every curve of my sky just by touch:D
rick112 said:

Topics might include;

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ordered a sky R/L and told the dealer to not wash/wax the car when it comes in. I know this sounds anal but dealers have used obital buffers on cars and swirl marks get on the car. I ordered and got a G35 coupe and did the same thing. The G looked sad when I drove it away dirty but it cleaned up great on the outside. I had the dealer clean inside of course. I never would put any car thru an auto car wash. Here in NM I can hand wash in less time then driving to a car wash. I worry about swirl marks and messing up the wheels dragging the car thru the wash. I have been using a silicone sealant every 6 months and my G35 (red) looks brand new after almost 4 years out here in NM sun so I think I am doing the right thing. Maybe in cold country you have to use an auto wash but I would not do it unless last resort.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I've hand-washed mine a few times, but I am so darned busy that I can't always do that. I take it to a "touchless' car wash with nary a brush in sight, and they do a pretty good job between my treatments. Just did the "mobile car wash and detail" thing where they came to my office and got it all nice for twenty bucks. That's been the best yet.

I understand the need for alone time, but I'd rather spend it driving than on my hands and knees getting water spots off the rims, ya know?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I take mine to the detail shop and pay for a hand wash. No automatics here!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
marlboromike said:
who would be crazy enough to bring it to a car wash...doyou really believe a SKY would come out unscathed? A no brainer!!
Um- I would. I go to a hand car wash where they completely clean my car in 45 minutes. They do a better job than I would, and do it in about 1/3 the time. I've been taking my cars and my boss's cars there since 1999- the same guy has been washing our cars for 7 years. None of them have ever been scratched or otherwise damaged. There are good and bad car washes. You just have to take the time to find a good one. On the other hand, maybe I just have no brain.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
marlboromike said:
ReedRed...was not referring to hand car washes....u know what we r talking about...and when r u coming to Jersey....
Looking back, I see that.

I'll actually be blowing through Jersey tonight on my way to DC for the weekend. I still don't know when I'll come to a complete stop in the state, though! I'm thinking about crashing the Leaf Peeping Run the Solstice folks are planning for Rockland County in October. Any interest?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts