Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the SKY roadster has been promoted from the "Future Vehicles" section on Saturn's website to the mainstream (yeah!), there are many new fun toys to play with. When you go to the "pricing" section, then click on the "Specs" tab and scroll to the bottom, there are some interesting numbers:

Cargo-area volume, top up (cu. ft.): 5.4
Cargo-area volume, top down (cu. ft.): 2.0

While at first I was excited, thinking that maybe the actual trunk capacity had increased from the 3.8 cubic feet that we had been hearing about, my emotion level has since changed to "confused" :confused: . See, if you go to the "compare" section, it shows the following under "Dimensions":

Cargo Volume (Manufacturer) - cubic feet: 3.8

I was thinking that perhaps cargo-area volume was trunk capacity plus interior storage bin space, but since the top down figure is only 2.0 cubic feet, something doesn't add up. Any ideas for the discrepancy ?? :willy:

P.S. - For you mathematicians out there (or 2nd grade teachers), here are the equations:

Top up: 5.4 - 3.8 = 1.6 cf change
Top down: 2.0 - 1.4 = 0.6 cf change

Missing: 1 cubic foot (hey, every cf counts in this car!) :lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SKY USA said:
Now that the SKY roadster has been promoted from the "Future Vehicles" section on Saturn's website to the mainstream (yeah!), there are many new fun toys to play with. When you go to the "pricing" section, then click on the "Specs" tab and scroll to the bottom, there are some interesting numbers:

Cargo-area volume, top up (cu. ft.): 5.4
Cargo-area volume, top down (cu. ft.): 2.0

While at first I was excited, thinking that maybe the actual trunk capacity had increased from the 3.8 cubic feet that we had been hearing about, my emotion level has since changed to "confused" :confused: . See, if you go to the "compare" section, it shows the following under "Dimensions":

Cargo Volume (Manufacturer) - cubic feet: 3.8

I was thinking that perhaps cargo-area volume was trunk capacity plus interior storage bin space, but since the top down figure is only 2.0 cubic feet, something doesn't add up. Any ideas for the discrepancy ?? :willy:

P.S. - For you mathematicians out there (or 2nd grade teachers), here are the equations:

Top up: 5.4 - 3.8 = 1.6 cf change
Top down: 2.0 - 1.4 = 0.6 cf change

Missing: 1 cubic foot (hey, every cf counts in this car!) :lol:
i think you need to quit thinking so much, you are going to drive yourself crazy like that, It has what it has and when you get yours you can figure out how much space it has... those figures mean nothing in real life anyway, i don;t know how they figure it now but they used to put in ping pong balls and then base it on how many fit, then took the volume of a ping pong ball and multiplied it out.... not a practical way of figuring it out....

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
i don;t know how they figure it now but they used to put in ping pong balls and then base it on how many fit, then took the volume of a ping pong ball and multiplied it out.... not a practical way of figuring it out....
Which will give you how much usable space if you plan on using it to carry ping pong balls. :rolleyes:

Man! This means I can ride around in my dream car and take my entire ping pong ball collection with me Whoopee!:driving: :willy: :lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
i think you need to quit thinking so much, you are going to drive yourself crazy like that, It has what it has and when you get yours you can figure out how much space it has... those figures mean nothing in real life anyway, i don;t know how they figure it now but they used to put in ping pong balls and then base it on how many fit, then took the volume of a ping pong ball and multiplied it out.... not a practical way of figuring it out....
I think they use some sort of boxes of a certain shape to get a cubic foot measurement, which means that the actual measurement is highly dependant on how well the person "packing" the trunk can get them in.

When the top is down, there is not a ton of extra room, but with some creative packing you can make it fit a decent amount of stuff. It would be nice to have more room, but it can be dealt with.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
If anyone reading this is really concerned about cargo space I really believe the Sky is not for them. It's kinda like asking what the milage is on a Rolls Royce. If you have to ask...

It's a 2 seater roadster and it seems to have less than average trunk space. Get over it (to no one in particular)! Perhaps the mods should include a link to the Chrysler mini vans.:lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
rick112 said:
If anyone reading this is really concerned about cargo space I really believe the Sky is not for them. It's kinda like asking what the milage is on a Rolls Royce. If you have to ask...

It's a 2 seater roadster and it seems to have less than average trunk space. Get over it (to no one in particular)! Perhaps the mods should include a link to the Chrysler mini vans.:lol:
Not necessarily... people just want to know if it will hold what they expect it to. Everyone has different expectations for what they need too. Obviously it isn't a car for everyone, but if someone really want's they will figure out a way to make it look.

As for the vans... I doubt we have many van people here to make a link worth it! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
what does that hold?

I've asked before- does anyone know if the Sky will hold a set of regular golf clubs? I looked at the Soltice & it didn't look like it could due to the gas tank hump in the back...

The car looks great- I'd get a yellow to match the Las Vegas sun...
thanks,
LasVegasPhil

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think that what the trunk holds when the top is down may be deceptive. In my friend's solstice he usually carries a garmet bag, 4 backpack-sized duffle bags (1/2 to 3/4 full) and a laptop case. The way that he does it, is that he found a small cubby for the laptop when the top is down. The garment bag goes across the back part of the top and the the duffle bags go around top. He says the key is to get a cheap garment and duffle bags so they will form to the car better.

The next time I get a chance to, I will try to get a pic of his trunk packed with the top down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you for that link. It really helps my desicion...
Isn't the Internet great? An overnight response to a question thats bugged me for weeks...

LasVegasPhil

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
There's another pic around her showing the approx. dimensions of the cargo area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i don't think 3.8 is a discrepancy- but rather an average- add the two together and divide by two, you come out with 3.7- i'm sure there's some extra decimals in there that they are leaving off for ease and just rounded up. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I was told 2.0 top down, 4.0 or 4.2 top up. If this is correct (no guarantees or anything) then the site and the brochures haven't caught up yet.

I was assured that at least one golf bag does fit, like the Solstice, (reasonable size, just like the Sol') in the trunk of the Sky.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I was watching a show on ESPN tonight and they were doing a road test on the Ford GT, if you want to hear something funny, it is a $150,000 car with 1.2 cu ft of trunk space..... like we have said before if you want trunk space buy a sedan.... or minivan... of course you can get a roadster with a really big trunk by getting an SSR.....:lol:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I really like the looks of the SSR. A little pricey though,but the real deal breaker is that it only gets about 12 MPG according to the website.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
GRinLR said:
I really like the looks of the SSR. A little pricey though,but the real deal breaker is that it only gets about 12 MPG according to the website.
Oh and they stopped production in January...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
With the top up it looks like it has more room than my Fiero did....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts