Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I got my Sky I didn't think I would fit in it. I had tried a manual edition and because of the clutch it was difficult to get into. Well without the clutch I fit fine. However, during that period of depression (hehe) I was looking at the Nissan 350Z. It had lots of space in the cabin so I was looking at also doing a CarPC/CarPuter in it. Well now that I got my Sky I thought it was impossible to do a CarPC/CarPuter because of the limited space -- the only way I could imagine would have it mounted somewhere which I did not want -- I wanted more of a stock look.

So this morning I had an epiphany! The Sky radio unit is the same size as the Xenarc 700 TSV. I could pull out the radio unit and put the Xenarc in it's place! :-D

First, for those asking right now what is a CarPC/CarPuter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carputer

Picture of the Xenarc 700TSV:

Another good site to find out about CarPC's and also a great store with lots of cool stuff: http://www.mp3car.com/

So anyways -- what does everyone think about this? Do you think it will be possible? I can't imagine getting the radio unit out would be too difficult. Some custom fab work and the Xenarc should look pretty nice in there.

I figure I would mount the PC in the trunk but still unsure if I would use an inverter or just run DC straight to the battery. The other challenge I have is running the cabling. Somehow I need to get cable between the Xenarc (and dash area) to the trunk. I assume I can run it through the tunnel between the seats somehow but still unsure if I can. I'll may also need to run wire from the trunk to the battery.

I've never done anything major to a car before and this is going to be pretty big. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, etc... please feel free to post them here. If anyone also has any tech manuals or anything like that would be great as well! Oh and if you know if I'll be able to plug into the stock audio (I have the upgraded audio system) let me know please? My luck they'll probably have some proprietary input which nobody has an adapter for yet.

BTW, for those who might ask here is what I plan to have on my CarPC/hardware:
  • MP3 capability of course. MP3's stored on the hard drive
  • Sirius radio & FM radio capability. Hopefully will be able to use the stock antenna for this.
  • DVD/CD player
  • GPS capability for driving directions, etc...
  • Bluetooth integration. This way I can get rid of the second line just for the car. LOL This would also provide internet capability anywhere in my coverage area. Backup internet would be available through a 802.11b/g wireless card.
  • POSSIBLE: OBD-II Interface with realtime statistics
  • POSSIBLE: Video -- whether forward, rear, nighttime, all, etc... I'm still not sure on this one.
  • And of course various other things such as games, weather, traffic, etc..
Disclaimer: Using features such as these while driving a car is dangerous! Figure I'd get that in before someone said something. ;)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
How are you going to cool the unit in the trunk? Remember that the muffler gets pretty hot and makes the trunk floor heat up some...Skip...:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Try using bluetooth instead of cables. Also, instead of yanking out a perfectly good radio, consider a fold in display. It works like the cupholder, popping in and out. In fact, maybe it could go where the cup holder is - just below the little compartment between the seats. This would also easy any cabeling you may actually need.

For display, go with a HUD! Heads Up Display!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been thinking similar thoughts as you. I think you will lose much of the OnStar integration (auto mute and such), the ability to have the radio on after the car is off but until you open the door, etc. You may loose chimes. I assume it will be very difficult to integrate the steering wheel controls. I think it can be done, but I think you will loose features. I have not decided if I will start to tackle it - I want too. There seem to be things in the works to help (Ie serius radio adapter to convert the XM attena). I have seen people also have sites talking about hacking in the the onstar GPS, but I think it was an older Onstar.

Good luck, and keep us updated. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Notebook

might be easier to do something like this: http://www.autolaptoplinkinc.com/

then again - it would be better if it could fold down between or under the seat - and if it did not prevent a passenger from getting in the car - just thinking it might be more convenient to have a computer which can be removed from the car and used elsewhere.

Of course - for me - it would have to be a Macintosh computer.

This one - http://www.arkon.com/laptop.php - would only work when not driving

I wonder if anyone has something along the lines of the flip up - fold out style that you sometimes see in airplanes in the seats where there is no seat back in front of you for the tray.

On the other hand - I would like to see the manufacturer make the entire insturment panel an LCD screen - with insturment panel built in - but with the option to load you own custom instrument panel - and toggle it between car panel and computer screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts