Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to my new car manager today about my car. He advised me that they have pulled alot of skys off the train due to the wheel rub prob. He didn't know if mine was one, but had a call into Del. to find out. Said that Saturn figured out that if you get people over 220lbs (gee that describes me and hubby) the car sits lower and causes the rub. Daughter said, Mom be happy they caught it now. :mad:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I was surprised to hear that too. But may explain why alot of us who were told they were shipped up to 3 weeks ago (me) still do not have them.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Wow...that's a pretty major development. :eek: I'm not over 220lbs and neither is my hubby...but the BOTH of us together sure are. Geez..this is a bummer. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nscrbug said:
Wow...that's a pretty major development. :eek: I'm not over 220lbs and neither is my hubby...but the BOTH of us together sure are. Geez..this is a bummer. :banghead:
Yea, your telling me sister. But look what happened to poor Ernest, his is already down, in the shop for this prob. Whats a girl gotta do to get her Sky? :confused:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So this just begs me to ask....how will the newly redesigned wheel well inserts prevent the wheel rub from recurring down the road? Could this be why some folks are reporting the problem and some are not...the difference in weight of the occupants in the car? Was the wheel rub an issue on the Sol...and if so, did GM conclude that it too, had to do with the weight of the occupants in the car?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I belive the weight of the driver and/or passenger plays a big part. Im sure I also read somewhere on this forum that they had the same prob with the Sol, so why it was not addressed earlier is a mystery... :confused:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Just talked to my new car manager today about my car. He advised me that they have pulled alot of skys off the train due to the wheel rub prob. He didn't know if mine was one, but had a call into Del. to find out. Said that Saturn figured out that if you get people over 220lbs (gee that describes me and hubby) the car sits lower and causes the rub. Daughter said, Mom be happy they caught it now. :mad:
Is that 220 lbs each or combined. Quite honestly me an my wife make over 500lbs so I am wondering even with this fixed there is still going to be a Rub.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well im about a gym worthy 135lbs at 5'8 so... im not to worried.. anyhow ill be cruising s.beach, fl, those girls dont get to weigh too much..lol:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sounds to me that they need to get heavier test drivers.
It a learning curve. The tolarences must be really tight. Hopefully for my build they are eliminating it. I am shooting to get DOWN to 220 (25 lbs over...). . .
I think we'll see testdrivers and sandbags :eek: whizzing around the Saturn test track...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah...sounds to me like the once aforementioned 362lb weight limit...has now dropped down to 220lbs. :eek: Like I said...I am nowhere near 220, however this means that I could not take any passengers...unless they weigh 70lbs! Hell...even my 10-year old niece weighs more than that. :willy:

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's a legitimate oversight I could see though, a stupid one, yes, but a legitimate one, imo. When they take the quality assurance, it's typically with one person, never thinking about adding a second. And they know it's a very tight, small car, so they're probably not goin to be having the bigger people testdriving, because of how tight the space would be (which they never tried to hide, the fact remains it is a roadster, and still has lots more space than a miata ;) ).

Sucks, but hey as was said, glad they caught it now :), this is just going to be one of a few issues. I'm a little worried that ther emight be MORE issues with the cars produced later, because I think GM is goin to be in the mindset of just pumpin the cars out as quick as possible.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I am not too sure about that assessment, because I weigh way in excess of that 220LB and mine just barely rubbed, and some people I think weighed less than me had theirs rub so much it made loud noises, I never heard a peep from mine...Just smelled a little melting plastic... it didn't get any worse when I had a passenger either...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Once again it is the WAY the problem is handled that interests me more. While, if what info agirltrucker got is true, then we need to applaud what is being done... However, why do we have to hear about it via rumor and second hand? However, stopping it before it leaves the hands of the manufacturer means we the POTENTIAL owners have no say.
Still, overall the problems have been minor. This wheel rub and the cracked fender seem to be the worst problems I have heard.
For those keeping track -- kind of like "The fan is too loud in my Dell computer." and "Sometime I have to reboot windows."

One question -- on the wheel rub issue...
Any tire damage???

So all in all for the sayers of doom -- just further proof that the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice are, in fact doomed. Looks like US Autobuilders in general should just close down and send all their workers to the unemplyment lines. Can't have cars that have rubs and rattles on the highways... No siree...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Once again it is the WAY the problem is handled that interests me more. While, if what info agirltrucker got is true, then we need to applaud what is being done... However, why do we have to hear about it via rumor and second hand? However, stopping it before it leaves the hands of the manufacturer means we the POTENTIAL owners have no say.
Still, overall the problems have been minor. This wheel rub and the cracked fender seem to be the worst problems I have heard.
For those keeping track -- kind of like "The fan is too loud in my Dell computer." and "Sometime I have to reboot windows."

Any tire damage???

So all in all for the sayers of doom -- just further proof that the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice are, in fact doomed. Looks like US Autobuilders in general should just close down and send all their workers to the unemplyment lines. Can't have cars that have rubs and rattles on the highways... No siree...
no tire damage that i can tell...
looks like honda's are no better than saturns...
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee997a9

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:

Any tire damage???

No tire damage on mine. I think I caught it early enough.

I weight 240, but had rubbing on both sides with no passenger in the car.

With the car parked and no one in it, I still could not get my finger between the wheel well and the tire. I believe it is poor design of the wheel well. (just my opinon)

·
Registered
55 Posts
getting rubbed ?????????????????

I wonder if the prototypes had smaller rims confused?::confused: :confused: :

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
twopatels said:
what if we run along outside the car and steer from outside like the flintstones
:lol: :lol: :lol: No, I don't think that is the answer. But funny.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts