Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know the torque spec. for the nuts attaching the exhaust pipe (NOT the down pipe) to the CAT? I couldn't find anything here and on the Solstice forum the only thing I could find was 13 Ft. Lbs. but that doesn't sound right.

Thanks,

RedlineBlue

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts

Here are all the specs for the exhaust, according to the Sky Service Manual:

Exhaust Fastener Tightening Specifications:
Catalytic Convertor to Bracket Bolt/Nut (LNF) - 43 lb. ft
Catalytic Convertor to Catalytic Convertor Brace Bracket Bolt (LE5) - 37 lb. ft
Catalytic Convertor to Catalytic Convertor Brace Bracket Bolt (LEF) - 16 lb. ft
Catalytic Convertor to Exhaust Manifold Nut (LE5) - 37 lb. ft
Catalytic Convertor to Muffler Nut - 13 lb. ft
Catalytic Convertor to to Turbocharger Nut (LNF) - 43 lb. ft
Engine Mount to Frame Lower Nut (LNF) - 41 lb. ft
Engine Manifold Heat Shield Bolt (LNF) - 18 lb. ft
Engine Manifold Heat Shield Bolt (LE5) - 89 lb. inch
Exhaust Manifold Nut - 10 lb. ft
Turbocharger Heat Shield (LNF) - 89 lb. inch

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information! So indeed the two bolts (nuts on the studs) where the exahust pipe attaches to the cat (to install a cat-back exhaust) is 13 ft. lbs.? That doesn't sound like much for these two nuts, I just want to make sure I am pulling the correct information from your list. If I am looking at the wrong line item please correct me.

THANKS!

RedlineBlue

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Thanks for the information! So indeed the two bolts (nuts on the studs) where the exahust pipe attaches to the cat (to install a cat-back exhaust) is 13 ft. lbs.? That doesn't sound like much for these two nuts, I just want to make sure I am pulling the correct information from your list. If I am looking at the wrong line item please correct me.

THANKS!

RedlineBlue
The quoted torque values correspond to what I have in my notes.
CAUTION: DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE NUTS ON THE CAT STUDS.
The studs are seriously cheap and will shear off on you.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
There is the manifold exhaust pipe that comes from the engine to the CAT - that one is the 37 lb. ft
Then there is the pipe that leaves the CAT and goes to the muffler. That is the one that you do 13 lb. ft

·
Registered
174 Posts
>Catalytic Convertor to Catalytic Convertor Brace Bracket Bolt (LE5) - 37 lb. ft

I need to get the "Convertor Brace Bracket" itself for an LE5. Somehow, mine has broken off at the bolt hole on the converter side. I'm having trouble finding a part number. Anyone have the number or know where I can get the bracket (if someone has one to part out, etc)?

This is the "L" shaped bracket that connects the lower converter flange to the engine block. It keeps the exhaust from putting a twisting load on the exhaust manifold. It's being broken is probably why two exhaust manifold studs have broken.

This a friend's 2007 NA.

·
Registered
174 Posts
>Catalytic Convertor to Catalytic Convertor Brace Bracket Bolt (LE5) - 37 lb. ft

I need to get the "Convertor Brace Bracket" itself for an LE5. Somehow, mine has broken off at the bolt hole on the converter side. I'm having trouble finding a part number. Anyone have the number or know where I can get the bracket (if someone has one to part out, etc)?

This is the "L" shaped bracket that connects the lower converter flange to the engine block. It keeps the exhaust from putting a twisting load on the exhaust manifold. It's being broken is probably why two exhaust manifold studs have broken.

This car is a normally aspirated 2007. (a friend's car)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here's a drawing the service manual.

The bolt on the left that's shown passing through the converter flange into a nut on the top side. It clamps the bracket I need in place. Can make out the bracket under the nut but it takes a 90-degree turn down behind the flange so that's all you can see in this drawing.

If I can't get a new one, I'll have to take it to someone who can mig the broken one to fix it.

I think it's item #2 in this drawing. Part #12600482
https://www.gmpartsnow.com/auto-parts/2007/saturn/sky/base-trim/2-4l-l4-gas-engine/exhaust-system-cat/exhaust-components-scat/

This a friend's 2007 NA.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry for the third post but I'm having trouble editing prior posts. My browser just reloads the page over and over.

I think the part number is #12600482

Item #2 in the drawing on this page
https://www.gmpartsnow.com/auto-parts/2007/saturn/sky/base-trim/2-4l-l4-gas-engine/exhaust-system-cat/exhaust-components-scat/

Here's a drawing the service manual.

The bolt on the left that's shown passing through the converter flange into a nut on the top side. It clamps the bracket I need in place. Can make out the bracket under the nut but it takes a 90-degree turn down behind the flange so that's all you can see in this drawing.

If I can't get a new one, I'll have to take it to someone who can mig the broken one to fix it.

I think it's item [URL=https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] in this drawing. Part [URL=https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=12600482]#12600482 [/URL]

·
Registered
174 Posts
LOL... I didn't even notice that the last post was in mid-2008! I had the car on the lift all ready to swap the part and just went straight to trying to find an answer. I'm talking to Vintage Parts, Beaver Dam Wisconsin. I think they may be able to help me out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts