Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case this happens to you. It took a few trips to the dealer to get to the bottom of this problem.

We had our SKYride in for some dealer touchup paint work within a few weeks of purchase. A few miles from the dealer on the way home the Check Engine indicator illuminated. Right back to the dealer. Diagnostic Code indicated failing emissions. They thought reseating a possible loose fuse fixed 'er up (ten minutes turnaround, reset the light, back on the road home). Next day, Check Engine again. I hit OnStar and they indicated Emissions failure (again). Back to the dealer. They diagnosed downstream O2 sensor, and ordered the replacement. Part comes in, back to dealer, replaced both upstream and downstream sensors. Next day, Check Engine, again.

Dealer contacted the "East Coast Engineers", who ran the fault tree and called for the Catalytic Converter to be replaced. Took a week to get the shipment in, a short day to replace and test. We had 'er back in time for the SoCal SKY Beach Run last month.

We've been light-free ever since.

All that being said, we remain very satisfied with the both the dealer and service folk's interest in resolving our problem. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Wow!
There was one of these reported on the Sol side, although some suspected ECM re-tune issues.

Fluke bad cat?

Do you know if they shipped the bad unit back for analysis?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Analysis... not sure

I did not ask if they returned the Cat for analysis.

Next time I'm in I'll ask the Tech if knows the disposition of the carcass. He'll remember us from a few shop talk sessions while we were playing the game. Well, that and this was his first Cat job on a SKY. When the Tech knows you by sight, is that a good or bad sign?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
JandR said:
When the Tech knows you by sight, is that a good or bad sign?
I think that depends WHY the tech knows you by sight.....:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
wow honestly i cant believe it took taht many times to finally diagnose your sky. It seems like they were just assuming what was wrong and not taking the time to actually figure it out. They should have known that when a code is cleared, the smog monitors reset and need time to run again. This takes a while and that is why the tech thought it was fixed. I am baffled that techs are so affraid to work on these cars. I just see them mechanically as a saturn ion convertable and nothing more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not ask if they returned the Cat for analysis.

Next time I'm in I'll ask the Tech if knows the disposition of the carcass. He'll remember us from a few shop talk sessions while we were playing the game. Well, that and this was his first Cat job on a SKY. When the Tech knows you by sight, is that a good or bad sign?
well why not just give the car to your brother and you wont have to worry about that nasty light anymore. I bet he would willingly take that drop top box from you to releave you of all the stress and strain, hey what is family for anyway
madmax

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow!
There was one of these reported on the Sol side, although some suspected ECM re-tune issues.

Fluke bad cat?

Do you know if they shipped the bad unit back for analysis?
Same thing happened to me about a month ago. But they replaced the converter and O2 sensor right away. They did say it was being sent back for analysis. We have about 2500 miles since it was replaced and so far no check engine light.
BTW, we were the second at our dealership with this problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes we've done a few cats.. think it was p0410 twc efficieancy OMG my spelling is terrible LOL.. easy as pie to change.. yup a sky is just like a ion or any other car.. just take care of your roof cause a pain in the arse to change...:banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
450 Posts
happened to me at 4000 miles. Common problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts