Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 2.4 and it feels like it has lost power. It just seems like it doesn't accelerate as fast as it should. Also if you drive it hard it will sometimes feel like it is missing while sitting at a stoplight. I took it in to get looked at and they drive it around and ran test for a week. They did get it to feel like it was missing once, but they said everything was within manufactures specs. They said that the only thing that seemed a little off was that the Catalytic Converter was running a little hot. They said it was around 500. They said that a bad, or going bad Catalytic Converter could cause this, but they didn't want to replace it because it was expensive and they were not 100% sure. Does this seem like a correct diagnosis? Also, I looked up the Catalytic Converter and it looks like it just bolts on. Is it a bad install to do yourself?

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
I think from what you describe that yours is failing. Loss of power and high temperature are both signs of imminent failure.

Two problems with the removal and install are potentially frozen fasteners and maneuvering in and out, but the actual work is pretty simple.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the car hard a hard time starting yesterday. It took a couple of tries before it would start. Then at stoplights it would shake like it was trying to stall. Does this still sound like the catalytic converter? It is not showing any codes. If so I think I am going to try to install it myself. Should I get oem, or is there one that everyone likes more.

·
Super Moderator
11,084 Posts
So the car hard a hard time starting yesterday. It took a couple of tries before it would start. Then at stoplights it would shake like it was trying to stall. Does this still sound like the catalytic converter? It is not showing any codes. If so I think I am going to try to install it myself. Should I get oem, or is there one that everyone likes more.
As the cat fails, it clogs up. This is what causes the reduction in performance. Eventually, it can clog so bad the car won't run. Yours sounds like it is moments away from total failure.

First, stop driving the car. I say that because you don't want to be stranded somewhere when the cat fully fails.

Second where do you live? If you're in CA, the $800 OEM cat is your only option legally. Most other states will let you install an aftermarket high flow cat. I believe Solo makes one for the 2.4.

·
Super Moderator
11,084 Posts
Well with a 2.4 you'll see a bit of an increase even without a tune but don't expect the world. If you did cat, exhaust, intake (which is more about picking up low and mid range power), injectors and tune, if you saw a 30 whp improvement you'd be doing REALLY good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I started taking everything apart and saw that the car had a small oil leak. That prompted me to check the oil and it was on the low side of the dipstick. Would low oil cause the symptoms I have been having? Also, has anyone ever used a Bosal cat? Does it come with the gaskets? The shape looks a little different.

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
Low oil level will not normally cause loss of power, difficulty starting, or a rough idle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the stock Cat have some kind of heat shield built in. Some of the aftermarket ones look like they might be skinnier than the stock and I'm wondering if it is a built in heat shield that I need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts