Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2.4L 07 Sky which for the past 5 months now has been killing me with codes. Over time I have slowly replaced both upstream and downstream sensors as well as a few other miscellaneous fuel system parts and solenoids(which actually were bad but that's a different story). So I am still getting catalytic converter codes and my worst fear has been identified by process of elimination...the cat itself is bad. Anytime I push the throttle past 2800 RPM the engine just starts to die and the engine check light flashes like crazy. The engine isnt even as loud as it used to be I've noticed. I wanted to avoid replacing it simply cause it's a costly part. I am at just over 100,000miles and dont ever want to have to replace a converter again. I live in Florida so I could care less about emissions.

SO the cheapest option is for me to just buy a downpipe and go catless. My question is, do I only need the down pipe itself or do I need any converter kits to match it up to the exhaust manifold and the catback pipes? I do have the magniflow 16664 cat back exhaust. Will the current cat need to be cut off the manifold from melted bolts or should the 3 15mm bolts be able to break loose? From what I've found from other threads, the 2.4 cat is easy to drop unlike the 2.0.

Important note, I do have a friend who owns a tuning shop and he can tune the ECM to keep codes off after the downpipe is installed, but Ive also been told an o2 extender can d the same. Here is a link to where I'm looking to buy the pipe, is this all I need? Solstice & Sky 2.4L LE5 Cat Delete Kit | RPM-Motorsports

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can turn the code off with HP Tuners. If poor performance still exists then the cat is more than likely damaged.
ive checked mechanical issues and there is evidence of pressure building up on the front side of the cat, I know the cat is clogged, just want to eliminate the clogging now.

·
Super Moderator
5,732 Posts
ive checked mechanical issues and there is evidence of pressure building up on the front side of the cat, I know the cat is clogged, just want to eliminate the clogging now.
Your cat is definitely failing and you are absolutely correct to replace it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Some in the past have removed the cat from the car and smashed the core out with a long screw driver or steel rod. Not ideal and alternately you could check and see if there are any good used ones around.

Like this guy did, he did it on a Redline but if you search you'll find others that have done it on an NA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts