Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM is planning to build over 30,000 kappa units (Solstice and Sky) a year for the American market. Due to the pricing of these cars many buyers who wouldn't consider a sports car can now find these cars obtainable in their budgets. People will buy these cars as a leisure vehicle, a sports vehicle, and some will buy them as their daily driver.

My point is we will see a change in the smaller sports car market in America. No longer will the best affordable choices will be foreign made cars. As thousands upon thousands of these cars start making their way onto our highways, more people will be asking what kind of car is that. It's an American sports car? It cost less than $25,000 too! I think that would be a great car to own. Right now, no one I have talked too recently has heard of the Solstice or Sky (granted they are not car people). As the cars are seen on the roads the interest will build, and the aftermarket companies will be looking to cash in on it. This change in the American sports car landscape will pay big revenues to auto industry as a whole.

With all that has happen in the last 5 years to challenge our countries pride, do you really believe sports car enthusiast will continue to by foreign cars if they can get a great car
"Made in the USA"? The aftermarket will make this a great performance car to boot. With turbochargers, superchargers, engine swaps, and suspension upgrades these new cars will challenge and beat most foreign made cars in the same price range. I mean beat them in style, performance, and desire to own one. GM has proven that they can build a true American sports car that can beat the foreign cars, usually priced less than what the foreign manufacturers charge. Example, Corvette C6R beat both Ferrari and Aston Martin at this year LeMans and has taken this same race technology and put it into the production version Z06 Corvette. Making the $59,000 Z06 the best performance car in the world priced under $100,000 (sorry Dodge, Chevrolet wins this round).

These new cars will be the rebirth of America's hold on the sports car market. The really cool part, the car is so attractive looking that non-sport car enthusiast will want one just because they are so darn sheik.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's a good time to be in the market for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just wait

After us guys that have gotten into these cars (kappa's) they'll make a movie like fast and furious and it'll all be history, the exclusivity...... :brentil: But hey at least we are car guys and we'll have a jump on it right. :lol:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sky4christ said:
But hey at least we are car guys and we'll have a jump on it right. :lol:
There are a bunch of car girls here and back on sister sol site. Don't forget about them.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Sky4christ said:
After us guys that have gotten into these cars (kappa's) they'll make a movie like fast and furious and it'll all be history, the exclusivity...... :brentil: But hey at least we are car guys and we'll have a jump on it right. :lol:
Unlike Civics there wont be several 100,000s of these made a year. Even if every tuner-wanna-be out there wanted a Sky or a Solstice it's not like they could all get their hands on one with 30k a year being made across all three lines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
brentil said:
Unlike Civics there wont be several 100,000s of these made a year. Even if every tuner-wanna-be out there wanted a Sky or a Solstice it's not like they could all get their hands on one with 30k a year being made across all three lines.
I just hope there are enough to go around and the quality stays in place for the New American Roadster Scene!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Delnari said:
GM is planning to build over 30,000 kappa units ....................................
My point is we will see a change in the smaller sports car market in America. No longer will the best affordable choices will be foreign made cars. As thousands upon thousands of these cars start making their way onto our highways, more people will be asking what kind of car is that. It's an American sports car? It cost less than $25,000 too! ................
Yes, it is great for Roadster fans, but let's face it. Even after 5 years of full production there'll only be 150K Solstices & Skys out of approx 220,000,000 registered vehicles in North America. :eek:
So statistically, after 5 yrs of production you'll still need to sit by the roadside and watch almost 1500 cars pass before you see a Solstice or a Sky. :lol:
Not that that is a bad thing. Who the heck wants to see a copy of their car every other block? :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it's great, more importantly I really hope that it's not an aberration but a paradigm shift in design. Small good handling cars not quarter mile beasts. Another good thing about that is hopefully with more smaller roadster cars on the streets people might become more accostomed to them thus making it safer. Personally, I doubt it. My advice is to approach driving these cars as if it's a bike. Assume everybody is out to get you and drive accordingly, put some space between yourself and the SUV landbarge with a distracted cellphone talking makeup applying newspaper reading driver.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Babak said:
I think it's great, more importantly I really hope that it's not an aberration but a paradigm shift in design. Small good handling cars not quarter mile beasts. Another good thing about that is hopefully with more smaller roadster cars on the streets people might become more accostomed to them thus making it safer. Personally, I doubt it. My advice is to approach driving these cars as if it's a bike. Assume everybody is out to get you and drive accordingly, put some space between yourself and the SUV landbarge with a distracted cellphone talking makeup applying newspaper reading driver.
I defintely agree with this. Good advice for anyone who's never driven a small car before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts