Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a spare wheel and tire to keep at home in case I have tire problems.
I live out in the country aways and dealer supplied wrecker service, etc. might take a while to get there. Spouse with my truck, tire, and jack would be quicker.
Are there recommended lift points on the SKY? :confused:
What kind of jack do you need? :confused:
Would one of those air inflation pillow-type jacks work? :confused:
I would like to change tire myself, but don't what to mess up underside of car.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Another thought would be to have a thick wood plank stored with a very low profile jack. This would allow you to drive the flat up on the plank and give you some more clearance under the car. Spend about $150 for one of those aluminum "race" jacks as well. They weigh about 35 pounds. If you wife can muscle the spare into her vehicle, she will have trouble with jack and wood plank.

Given some of the sporadic failures of the inflater can in the Kappas, I plan on having a bottle of "Green Slime" (GOOD stuff and works) and a 12 volt air pump. BTW, if you ever have to use the sealant, it may be worthwhile to have that tire removed, cleaned out, and properly patched before extended use.

·
Registered
18,029 Posts
Front Tires

Brentil...how do u do the front tires now...I wouldn't jack up this car and put a block of wood under the LSD...just me...

MarlboroMike

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought a spare wheel and tire to keep at home in case I have tire problems.
I live out in the country aways and dealer supplied wrecker service, etc. might take a while to get there. Spouse with my truck, tire, and jack would be quicker.
Are there recommended lift points on the SKY? :confused:
What kind of jack do you need? :confused:
Would one of those air inflation pillow-type jacks work? :confused:
I would like to change tire myself, but don't what to mess up underside of car.
I bought a hockey puck from sports authority for 1 dollar and bought a eyebolt from the hardware store screwed it in the middle of the puck and inserted the puck in the slot where the lifting point is. Then used a low profile jack and raised the car with the jack resting on the puck, the jack never touched the car and it was quick, I changed all 4 wheels in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a hockey puck from sports authority for 1 dollar and bought a eyebolt from the hardware store screwed it in the middle of the puck and inserted the puck in the slot where the lifting point is. Then used a low profile jack and raised the car with the jack resting on the puck, the jack never touched the car and it was quick, I changed all 4 wheels in about 20 minutes.
And what happen to the 4 wheels ? LOL

I have 2 low profile jacks, 2 tire irons, and 4 spares at 3 diff locations in the Philly area. all I need is a puck and eyebolt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
when i change my tires on the alero i have a little more work to do but i do taake them off with my inpact and put them on with my torqx wrench set to 110 foot pounds. but with my alero i have to put the jack under the car and aply a slight presure then hit the down button on my air ride to let the air out then jack up the car. then i have to rasethe car up to get the jackout agin sence it sits so low

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Yeah that only works if you have a low profile jack. Also on the Solstice the panel extends farhter then the sky under the car so I can't use my inserts up fornt either.

I had not noticed before - but it appears as if some of the honeycomb on the rear facia looks different - almost like some of them are open and some not - or maybe some are wet and some not. Would be interesting to see what could be done perhaps with LEDs in each space in the honeycomb.
They were wet at the time.

Brentil...how do u do the front tires now...I wouldn't jack up this car and put a block of wood under the LSD...just me...

MarlboroMike
I jack the car from the rear frame insert points using a BMW insert I got. You can lift the car far enough from there to get the ront tires up off th ground. The block of wood keeps the jack from crushing the extruding diff metal. I jack it up then put it on jack stands. Plenty of cars use the diff as the jacking point too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any idea where you can purchase an airbag type jack? :confused:
All I can locate by web search is construction type bags used to lift very heavy stuff.
Seems like long ago they sold some you could hook up to exhaust and use the bag to lift the car.
Now that I have my spare tire and rim at home, I don't know how I would get the Sky lifted enough to change the tire if it was flat and little room under the car.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Any idea where you can purchase an airbag type jack? :confused:
All I can locate by web search is construction type bags used to lift very heavy stuff.
Seems like long ago they sold some you could hook up to exhaust and use the bag to lift the car.
Now that I have my spare tire and rim at home, I don't know how I would get the Sky lifted enough to change the tire if it was flat and little room under the car.
Howdy tx-sky

First my personnal disclaimer I am including links to e-bay and have no clue about the sellers or their products. Since I have absolutely no knowledge that makes me an expert so I will give my expert opinion :lol:

First Link - Air Jack

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-...tegoryZ63697QQihZ012QQitemZ220035389139QQrdZ1

Second Link - Electric Scissor Jack

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-VOLT-AUTO-EL...ryZ11704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IMHO - I am not sure I would use the Air Jack, I have an Electric Scissor Jack but have never had occasion to use it on anything but concrete. It worked well under what I would call ideal circumstances ie.. nice clean level concrete floor lifting a 1995 Ford Ranger.

If given a choice I personnal would probably just hit the on-star button and have them send someone to change my tire (I'm lazy :sleep: )

But if I was going to do it myself for whatever reason I would probably see if I could get the electric scissor unit to work before I tried the air jack.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts