Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm in need of replacing my emissions canister in the gas tank. I have an 08 redline does anyone have a picture of this part? And any advice on diy?
Thanks, Angela in Alabama

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you do a site search for 'charcoal canister' you'll find a number of threads detailing the procedure(s). You essentially have two options. One is dropping the rear axle assembly and fuel tank to access the canister that sits on top of the fuel tank or the other is to do a little surgery on the top of the hump in your trunk to access it from inside. The second method is far easier but you have to ensure you reattach the cut out part properly and seal it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do a site search for 'charcoal canister' you'll find a number of threads detailing the procedure(s). You essentially have two options. One is dropping the rear axle assembly and fuel tank to access the canister that sits on top of the fuel tank or the other is to do a little surgery on the top of the hump in your trunk to access it from inside. The second method is far easier but you have to ensure you reattach the cut out part properly and seal it.
Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The charcoal canister sits on top of the fuel tank, not inside it. Access from above is accomplished by removing the trunk prefab carpet, then the access cover on top of the pyramid. But the opening is too small to actually access the charcoal canister itself. It is there to access the fuel pump which is adjacent to it. People have cut the opening much larger for complete access, but I am not comfortable with that idea. I worry that in a rear-end collision, fuel could shoot upward through the patched area.

I wonder if you can drop the (empty) fuel tank on top of the rear axle assembly, then replace the canister from above by utilizing the extra space you created. Maybe you can shift the tank side-to-side to make it work.

Keep in-mind that nobody on this forum has suggested trying this, so maybe my suggestion is not realistic.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looks like I'm in need of replacing my emissions canister in the gas tank. I have an 08 redline does anyone have a picture of this part? And any advice on diy?
Thanks, Angela in Alabama
If you query "Changing Evaporative Canister" you will find exactly what you are looking for. I followed TexSon's post and did the exact same replacement and it was not difficult. It worked out great and I was appreciative of the pictures he posted. (y)
It may seem intimidating at first (it did for me) but once I got started it became pretty straightforward. I took my time and was methodical...and it went well.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
If you query "Changing Evaporative Canister" you will find exactly what you are looking for. I followed TexSon's post and did the exact same replacement and it was not difficult. It worked out great and I was appreciative of the pictures he posted. (y)
It may seem intimidating at first (it did for me) but once I got started it became pretty straightforward. I took my time and was methodical...and it went well.
FYI: Many people view the forum in what is known as "Dark Mode" which has a black background. Alternate text colors usually do not contrast well with it, making posts nearly unreadable.

·
Registered
273 Posts
FYI: Many people view the forum in what is known as "Dark Mode" which has a black background. Alternate text colors usually do not contrast well with it, making posts nearly unreadable.
Changed it to black. Does that work? Sorry. I was not aware of the "Dark Mode" feature.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Changed it to black. Does that work? Sorry. I was not aware of the "Dark Mode" feature.
Changing the existing color to black resulted in black text on a black background, so no. The change needed to make it readable was to "Remove Formatting", which i did.

This most recent post of yours is readable in both modes because you did not give it a specific color, so the software defaults to black in Light Mode and white in Dark Mode.

Just to be clear, there is nothing "wrong" with posting in different colors, but some people will not go to the effort to reformat your text, and will end up not reading it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Changing the existing color to black resulted in black text on a black background, so no. The change needed to make it readable was to "Remove Formatting", which i did.

This most recent post of yours is readable in both modes because you did not give it a specific color, so the software defaults to black in Light Mode and white in Dark Mode.

Just to be clear, there is nothing "wrong" with posting in different colors, but some people will not go to the effort to reformat your text, and will end up not reading it.
Got it.
Will keep that in mind.
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts