Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an ‘08 Redline, 34K miles. Check Engine Light always comes on after reset. Takes about 60 miles of driving. Code shows all cylinders misfire at low RPM. Code clears when aggressively driven. So far...new AC plugs, 4 new coils, intake induction cleaned, fuel additives, new gas cap, same code appears. Also did a smoke test for leaks. Nothing found. Kind of frustrating. Any help is appreciated.
I have almost the same friggin’ issue right now. Have an 07’ redline with 34k on it.
From cold start at idle check engine comes on coding multiple codes here and there. P0302, P0301, P0303, p0300, and a weird P0000!
I mean here and there cause I clear the codes with scan tool and usually it’s P0302, but this last time 6codes came up and stating all the ones previously mentioned.
I had it at dealership recently and they were stumped, paid for them to high pressure clean fuel rail, jumped in to drive away and check engine light turned on with P0300 codes.
Car is stock had a L&T air filter but in trying to figure out issue placed a stock air filter in and cleaned maf sensor. Dealership said possible injectors... but so random.. I can see if just same code, but codes jumping, and only at cold start and only after clearing codes it trips code again after about 100km of driving and again on cold start...
Haven’t really noticed a difference in performance.
Please help, any suggestions! Dealership checked over car(head gasket, vacuum, spark)
Cam sensors?? All of them at 34k??
TIA!

·
Registered
384 Posts
P0000 possibly a scantool incompatibility issue. P0000= no fault codes recognized. Other low voltage codes (throttle position sensor, crankshaft position sensor) could be due to poor connection. Or a module or wire on the cam bus has an issue. Po301 could be Evap system issue which could be a reason for hard starting. Possibly a malfunctioning or leakey intake manifold purge valve, especially if you have used increased boost. If so, there is also most likely a damaged purge valve check valve. The oem check valve diaphragm cannot hold back the increased manifold pressure and will be destroyed allowing manifold pressure to backfeed into the fuel tank. Sporratic hard start with my Sky Redline

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have almost the same friggin’ issue right now. Have an 07’ redline with 34k on it.
From cold start at idle check engine comes on coding multiple codes here and there. P0302, P0301, P0303, p0300, and a weird P0000!
I mean here and there cause I clear the codes with scan tool and usually it’s P0302, but this last time 6codes came up and stating all the ones previously mentioned.
I had it at dealership recently and they were stumped, paid for them to high pressure clean fuel rail, jumped in to drive away and check engine light turned on with P0300 codes.
Car is stock had a L&T air filter but in trying to figure out issue placed a stock air filter in and cleaned maf sensor. Dealership said possible injectors... but so random.. I can see if just same code, but codes jumping, and only at cold start and only after clearing codes it trips code again after about 100km of driving and again on cold start...
Haven’t really noticed a difference in performance.
Please help, any suggestions! Dealership checked over car(head gasket, vacuum, spark)
Cam sensors?? All of them at 34k??
TIA!
Update! The P0000 code may have been from a loose gas cap, so disregard that code , but all other misfire codes still valid only on cold start and every 100km of driving after code reset.

·
Registered
439 Posts
To eliminate the MAF altogether, replace it. A lot of times if you've had an oiled airfilter, the damage is already done and no amount of cleaning it is going to fix it. Not sure if you know how they work... There is an element that heats up to a certain temp. Then as air flows over it, it cools down so it has to reheat it. Thus the ECM knows how much air has entered the engine. If it gets oiled, it usually wrecks its ability to calculate the air properly. The other thing you'll need to do, if you had a heavily oiled aor filter, is pull your CAI off and clean the inside of it with soap and water to get any residual oil out of it. This will completely eliminate any MAF issue. There's only been 1 or 2 people here that have had to go that far....but, its an easy step to ensure its not the issue.

Also replace the spark plugs if they have never been done. Even though they claim to be 100k plugs, a turbo is extremely hard on plugs. I replace mine every 10k for insurance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
To eliminate the MAF altogether, replace it. A lot of times if you've had an oiled airfilter, the damage is already done and no amount of cleaning it is going to fix it. Not sure if you know how they work... There is an element that heats up to a certain temp. Then as air flows over it, it cools down so it has to reheat it. Thus the ECM knows how much air has entered the engine. If it gets oiled, it usually wrecks its ability to calculate the air properly. The other thing you'll need to do, if you had a heavily oiled aor filter, is pull your CAI off and clean the inside of it with soap and water to get any residual oil out of it. This will completely eliminate any MAF issue. There's only been 1 or 2 people here that have had to go that far....but, its an easy step to ensure its not the issue.
As mentioned previously, I’ve had the ck engine light on for awhile. I cleaned the MAF senser and we will see. It wasn’t dirty and I don’t have an oiled air filter. Don’t think it was the issue but trying to follow any and all recommendations. I appreciate all suggestions.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I wasn't sure if an L&T filter was or wasn't oiled. If it isn't oiled, then don't worry too much about the MAF. And I was kind of talking to Erdie....

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
General Motors Performance Parts (GMPP) - it was a victim of the bankruptcy in 2009/10.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have trifecta advantage+, but problem started before the tune, only have had car a year
But K&N air filter was one of first purchases and install after getting this car. Problem with misfire codes came after about 5000kms of driving with filter, when I cleaned the Maf sensor, it wasn’t filthy,but there were spots of oil on it from oiled filter.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
........ multiple codes here and there. P0302, P0301, P0303, p0300, and a weird P0000!
I mean here and there cause I clear the codes with scan tool and usually it’s P0302, but this last time 6 codes came up and stating all the ones previously mentioned.
Discounting P0000, you list four misfire codes. What six codes did you see this time?

Have you checked fuel pressure?

There is value in running two investigations in the same thread, but also added opportunity for confusion. We have the option of splitting the thread if that happens.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do you have GMPP MAP sensors? They're held in by 1 screw in the drivers side IC tubing and then on top of the intake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discounting P0000, you list four misfire codes. What six codes did you see this time?

Have you checked fuel pressure?

There is value in running two investigations in the same thread, but also added opportunity for confusion. We have the option of splitting the thread if that happens.
So the 6 codes the other day were as follows,P0000(maybe loose gas cap as was loose) P0300, P0301,P0302(2x), P0303.
I used my scan tool to clear the codes two days ago. Drove yesterday to work and back and no check engine light.
Drove to work today and all good, started the car from cold start to leave work, and as usual about 30-45 seconds into car warming up, check engine light. Just scanned, and two codes. P0302(2x)
I’m sorry for highjacking this thread is there a way we can split or should I start a new one? Thks so much for input thus far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven’t checked fuel pressure, but the dealership did do a high pressure blow out of fuel rail, possibly they would have checked pressure before and after? Hopefully??

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
I think it was someone on the Solstice forum that fixed a random misfire condition by removing his MAP sensors and luricating the o-rings before reinstalling them. There was apparently an air leak under high vacuum that lubricating the o-rings sealed.

The misfire diagnostic probably (I haven't checked) requires three consecutive drive cycles with the problem to set the code. It will then probably clear itself after the same number of drive cycles without the problem. Your code reader should pick up a "pending" code while it is waiting for enough occurences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it was someone on the Solstice forum that fixed a random misfire condition by removing his MAP sensors and luricating the o-rings before reinstalling them. There was apparently an air leak under high vacuum that lubricating the o-rings sealed.

The misfire diagnostic probably (I haven't checked) requires three consecutive drive cycles with the problem to set the code. It will then probably clear itself after the same number of drive cycles without the problem. Your code reader should pick up a "pending" code while it is waiting for enough occurences.
Ok Thks for the info thus far, I have the stock map sensors currently( as trifecta+ tune uses stock map sensors). I will see about lubing the o rings and see if that helps. I can replace the MAF sensor, as did have the K&N Air filter in previously. But will lube the o rings first as I’ve already spent $400CAD trying to find out why this misfire codes continuously occur on cold start with a car that is only at 34,000kms.

·
Registered
439 Posts
rjgramps (or xxxgramps, can't remember the first couple of letters) was the the one who lubricated his o-rings. If this "fixes" the issue, I would buy new ones. They must be ordered. OR....if I can find my 50 that I bought from Granger, I can send you a few. The ones from Granger are about 0.1mm smaller then the OE stuff. But you get 50 for $7 vs. 1 for $9.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
rjgramps (or xxxgramps, can't remember the first couple of letters) was the the one who lubricated his o-rings. If this "fixes" the issue, I would buy new ones. They must be ordered. OR....if I can find my 50 that I bought from Granger, I can send you a few. The ones from Granger are about 0.1mm smaller then the OE stuff. But you get 50 for $7 vs. 1 for $9.
It was grandpop07 on the Solstice forum.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts