1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to check codes without a scanner? 2008 redline

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Is there any way to check codes without a scanner? 2008 redline
Welcome to the forum.

Some type of device is required, although you can take it to an auto parts store and let them use theirs.

There are also some real inexpensive options, the cheapest being a bluetooth dongle for under $10 combined with a free smartphone app.

There are also conventional scanners in the $30 range.

Reactions: styyguy

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
As our cars age, they tend to throw random codes more often. My experience has been that these "faults" can be cleared and not reappear for months or years. I have elected to purchase an inexpensive code reader device that allows me to read the codes and clear them. If they come back then I do diagnostics but generally they are non-recurring in my case.

this is an example. $20
AmazonSmile: Autel MS300 Universal OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader, Turn Off Check Engine Light, Read & Erase Fault Codes, Check Emission Monitor Status CAN Vehicles Diagnostic Scan Tool : Automotive

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
As our cars age, they tend to throw random codes more often. My experience has been that these "faults" can be cleared and not reappear for months or years. I have elected to purchase an inexpensive code reader device that allows me to read the codes and clear them. If they come back then I do diagnostics but generally they are non-recurring in my case.

this is an example. $20
AmazonSmile: Autel MS300 Universal OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader, Turn Off Check Engine Light, Read & Erase Fault Codes, Check Emission Monitor Status CAN Vehicles Diagnostic Scan Tool : Automotive
I understand such a device is very handy for clearing codes around the corner from an emissions test station, then immediately get tested before the code reappears. Here in Illinois, a few friends of mine resorted to doing that on their troublesome old cars that they gave up trying to repair properly.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I understand such a device is very handy for clearing codes around the corner from an emissions test station, then immediately get tested before the code reappears. Here in Illinois, a few friends of mine resorted to doing that on their troublesome old cars that they gave up trying to repair properly.
When the testing is done properly that will not work, since there is a "readiness code" that has to be set to do a proper test. That code requires a particular pattern and amount of driving be done after the codes are cleared o ensure that all of the diagnostics have been run.

Reactions: styyguy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
When the testing is done properly that will not work, since there is a "readiness code" that has to be set to do a proper test. That code requires a particular pattern and amount of driving be done after the codes are cleared o ensure that all of the diagnostics have been run.
JownWR, I agree with you in that we also own THIS MOTORHOME built on a 2007 Ford E350 chassis that I disconnect the battery when not being used. If I reconnect the battery and drive to the emission test station (15 miles away), they tell me what you said. But I wonder if clearing the codes is different than a total reboot from a battery disconnect.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
JownWR, I agree with you in that we also own THIS MOTORHOME built on a 2007 Ford E350 chassis that I disconnect the battery when not being used. If I reconnect the battery and drive to the emission test station (15 miles away), they tell me what you said. But I wonder if clearing the codes is different than a total reboot from a battery disconnect.
The result is generally the same. I do not know how your friends are getting away with it, unless they are able to complete the drive cycle and get tested before their particular fault occurs.

It is also possible that their "old cars" predate the requirement or the technology to utilize the readiness code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts