Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
AU CONTRAIRE...read it again. :smile:
I read it and I'll one up you by saying I wrote it and I still stand by that your comment was neither expressed or implied in my post.

I stated that a half-million cars are estimated to be totaled from water damage and that some of them may be Kappas since TX has a large number of Kappas registered in the state and many people drive them only as weekend vehicles meaning they may not be high on the priority list to rescue since they are limited in space.

Pretty sure I know what I meant when I wrote it...LOL

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
I read it and I'll one up you by saying I wrote it and I still stand by that your comment was neither expressed or implied in my post.

I stated that a half-million cars are estimated to be totaled from water damage and that some of them may be Kappas since TX has a large number of Kappas registered in the state and many people drive them only as weekend vehicles meaning they may not be high on the priority list to rescue since they are limited in space.

Pretty sure I know what I meant when I wrote it...LOL
Time for Interpretation 101...:surprise: If u infer that some of the Kappas will be part of the half million cars destroyed...then less Vin numbers equal less Kappas...our cars become rarer. Where have I erred? The negative becomes a positive.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Time for Interpretation 101...:surprise: If u infer that some of the Kappas will be part of the half million cars destroyed
To this point I was very clear. There is no inference. I believe...and have already been proven right...that Kappas will be included in the half million cars destroyed by Harvey. There has already been one posted on Facebook that will most likely be written off due to flood damage in TX.

...then less Vin numbers equal less Kappas...
While not stated this is a logical conclusion if we are talking about cars being destroyed by this disaster and that some of them are Kappas.

our cars become rarer. Where have I erred? The negative becomes a positive.
This is also true but this is YOUR interpretation. Your error is:

So, there is a positive to Harvey...More Kappas in the junkyard...

Remember, I wrote what u inferred...LOL. I TELL IT AS IT IS.
(note this is two posts combined)

Key phases being bolded. I inferred nothing. YOU inferred that this would be a positive thing. THAT'S where you make your mistake.

I do not believe, nor have implied either directly nor indirectly, that someone having their Kappa totaled by Hurricane Harvey is a good thing. If you believe it to be because it makes for fewer cars, great...but I didn't infer that.

For those reading this and perhaps missing the subtleties, I'm playing around and having a bit of fun here with MM. This is, in no way, to be taken seriously. LOL

However, it is serving a purpose at keeping this thread going so others may check in from the Houston area. This storm has been pretty devastating and I truly hope all our friends and families in the are make it out okay.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In our small town there may have been some looters. one of them took shot at a local resident and is now in jail. Must have shot at one of the few unarmed people in town..LOL I suggest, "Shoot to kill" as they will be shooting at you. This should be a warning to anyone that wants to hit our town. We take no prisoners.>:)

I actually sold a 9mm to the guy that was shot at. I need to remind him to carry it.

Another edit : Just got email from my alarm system that the power is back on so now all the alarm systems in town are activated. Not easy pickings.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In our small town there may have been some looters. one of them took shot at a local resident and is now in jail. Must have shot at one of the few unarmed people in town..LOL I suggest, "Shoot to kill" as they will be shooting at you. This should be a warning to anyone that wants to hit our town. We take no prisoners.>:)

I actually sold a 9mm to the guy that was shot at. I need to remind him to carry it.

Another edit : Just got email from my alarm system that the power is back on so now all the alarm systems in town are activated. Not easy pickings.
I'm not able to crack skulls as I once could, but I take my friend Walther with me everywhere I go these days and
he's just as fit as ever. :|

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm not able to crack skulls as I once could, but I take my friend Walther with me everywhere I go these days and
he's just as fit as ever. :|
You must be younger than me. I am so puny I have to have the twins Mr Smith and Mr Wesson with me. They are half my age at 40. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Email from CoCommishioner that he checked my house and Electric is up but I knew that because the burglar alarm is up. Sewer pumps not yet up but maybe today as well as water after they fix a leak.

BUT still no gasoline to be had and medical is only a military style field hospital for emergencies only, helicopter evacuation for serious cases. The lack of gasoline could last for weeks. Even here 200 miles north in Austin gasoline is in short supply

Both Martha and I are sick (lungs, she just got out after 5 days in the hospital) so we wont be going back home just yet. No reason to risk a helicopter ride (those things are dangerous) Sure would be happier to get home though.

That burglar alarm is a neat device to have, reporting the electric is on and battery operation is terminated, and by implication, since it reports by cell phone and email,that the internet and cell phone services are working. With the camera I can see who is there. Now I only need autonomous gun that I can sight using the camera. Thats the best $24 a moth I spend.:willy::willy::willy:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Blue, your system sounds very good. We use something similar to monitor winter temps and heating in our summer place that is 3 hours away in the mountains.

We retain the hot water heat system all year around (family often visits in winter to ski at a 11K peak just 35 miles away). Circumstances require keeping the system running year around (and is easier and cheaper that way); however, providing power stays on, our internet stays up. With my D-Link camera's operation, the camera takes a photo each morning of my thermometer setup and emails the photo to me. (See below for a photo I just snapped of the camera setup.) This emailed photo gives me a daily reference of the condo temp, thus if a problem is detected, the service company can be called.

My weather guage has rainfall across the top (7.99" season rain total), then time of day, outside temp, date, and inside temp. (this photo is .bmp, thus may not be compatible here)

In some five years we have yet to call the service company. Our elevation is 7300 feet, so temps can drop into the single digits and can stay for several days. This arrangement is much more reliable versus expecting a 'body' to check daily or even less frequent. Our internet costs $25/mo, so somewhat like an alarm cost. The D-Link cameras are less than $50 one-time. We use several cameras, including one that tells us how much snow is on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Blue, your system sounds very good. We use something similar to monitor winter temps and heating in our summer place that is 3 hours away in the mount
Ours has the ability to measure the temp in the house directly and set the thermostat remotely. The system has various levels of monitoring from $14 to $24 a month. I get the top($24 a month) because it allows me to set the alarm,modify its settings, set thermostat etc from my computer or smart phone. Cheap enough at only a one time charge of $250 for the system and it can be used without the monitoring if you need to cut costs.

I have recently wondered if it was worth it or not,but after Harvey I am keeping it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I read a report this morning that it is estimated that over 500,000 cars will be destroyed due to flood damage in the Houston area.
I'd be more concerned with a flood (no pun intended) of cars hitting the market as used cars that were or should have been salvaged due to high water damage. We seen it occur after Katrina hit the south and Sandy up north.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I'd be more concerned with a flood (no pun intended) of cars hitting the market as used cars that were or should have been salvaged due to high water damage. We seen it occur after Katrina hit the south and Sandy up north.
Was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
however, providing power stays on, our internet stays up. With my D-Link camera's operation, the camera takes a photo each morning of my thermometer setup and emails the photo to me. (See below for a photo I just snapped of the camera setup.) This emailed photo gives me a daily reference of the condo temp, thus if a problem is detected, the service company can be called.
Educate me. What is D Link and how does it work? :cheers:

21 - 40 of 54 Posts