Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM executives say they are committed to Chevrolet, but need to shore up the other brands, too. That's one reason why one of GM's most eye-catching new vehicles, the Sky Roadster, is a Saturn. Chevrolet dealers argue the Sky, or the Saturn Aura, a new midsize sedan with a sleeker look than the competing Chevy Malibu, could sell better in their brand. "They have to feed all the puppies," laments Tommy Brasher, who owns Chevrolet and Buick dealerships in Weimar, Texas.

The Wall Street Journal

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Gee GM would be real upset if the choice for a purchaser was between two GM cars....
:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Chevy will be getting a new Camaro again soon, I wouldn't be surprised to see fresher versions of cars coming out around then too. A new Cobalt SS and HHR SS using the LNF engine would put some major polish on those brands in Chevy too. Chevy just got the redesigned Corvette too, it's sales and profit out pace the Kappa's combined I'm pretty sure.

Saturn and Pontiac needed the halo car injection, both brands were going down the crapper in my opinion, like Buick is still doing.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Chevy already has the Corvette. It didn't need the SKY. Phooey!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Explanation: I was brushing off the notion that Chevy reallly needed the SKY (especially in comparison to other GM brands). After all, Chevy already has sportscars in their lineup, including the Corvette.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SKYtime said:
Explanation: I was brushing off the notion that Chevy reallly needed the SKY (especially in comparison to other GM brands). After all, Chevy already has sportscars in their lineup, including the Corvette.
There was a strong rumor that Chevy was going to get the "other" kappa platform domestic and call it the Stingray

Rumor had it that Pontiac vetoed the idea

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SKYtime said:
No one mentioned that Chevy needed SKY - SATURN needed SKY.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
No one mentioned that Chevy needed SKY - SATURN needed SKY.
Actually, the initial post indicated that Chevy wanted the SKY. You might want to re-read.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SKYtime said:
Actually, the initial post indicated that Chevy wanted the SKY. You might want to re-read.
Those are just chevy dealers talking not Chevrolet.
"Chevrolet dealers argue the Sky, or the Saturn Aura, a new midsize sedan with a sleeker look than the competing Chevy Malibu, could sell better in their brand."

·
Registered
102 Posts
The next Malibu according to internet buzz is going to be a stunner so Chevy is covered there. It would, however, have been nice if a Kappa coupe had made it's way into the Chevrolet lineup. A nice little car with less exotic sheet metal that would allow GM to stamp the panels instead of hydro forming them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
1994SC2 said:
The new Camaro will be a big enough treat for them as well...
humm, I like the sides and back - Looks a little late 1960's camero - ish. What do you guys think ???

·
Registered
102 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
humm, I like the sides and back - Looks a little late 1960's camero - ish. What do you guys think ???
the head designer said the inspiration was '69 Camaro meets F-22 Raptor.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Rik said:
the head designer said the inspiration was '69 Camaro meets F-22 Raptor.
I'll be danged! I might be pretty smart after all. :cheers: I always like those old Cameros and Firebirds - very good inspiration :thumbs:

·
Registered
18,100 Posts
listen all you plebes....GM can rebadge any car they want, sell them with different names and satisfy all their dealerships. What r all of u talking about?

Ford does it with Mercury....Chrysler does it with Dodge....and surely GM has done it with their cars.....let's move on

·
Super Moderator
11,486 Posts
marlboromike said:
listen all you plebes....GM can rebadge any car they want, sell them with different names and satisfy all their dealerships. What r all of u talking about?

Ford does it with Mercury....Chrysler does it with Dodge....and surely GM has done it with their cars.....let's move on
You're right Mike, they can. That wasn't necessarily the argument. The thing with the Solstice and Sky is they are designed to get people to rediscover the Pontiac and Saturn brands. Chevy doesn't need any such rediscovery. The buzz for the Corvette Z06 and the Chevy Camaro will do that just fine. Pontiac tried to do it with the GTO but with it's bland styling it missed the boat.

Chevy dealers are just seeing how well these cars are selling and are claiming they could have sold more because they want a piece of the action not because they would actually increase Kappa platform sales. After all, the last I looked I didn't see seven or eight Solstices sitting on a Pontiac lot gathering dust. Pontiac and Saturn are selling these things as fast as the assembly line can roll them out...in some instances even faster.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Sell Better?

How much better than sold out for months in advance do you suppose a Chevy dealer could manage?

·
Registered
122 Posts
we need to remember that Saturn's high CSI ratings have always been a good incentive to keep the brand (especially since its not a money maker for GM). also, Saturn has an extremely loyal customer base.

i think the future looks positive for Saturn (but hey, i may have a biased opinion).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts