Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the show today and saw a fabulous Sky optioned out like mine. I talked to one of the display people there and he was from the flag ship of the Saturn group I bought from. He told me that the policy on pricing has changed now. My order isn't effected because of my contract but they will charge a premium over msrp on all sales not already in the pipeline. My image was accepted on Jan 6, and I have been 030 for a long time with no change.I'm glad I was number one but I feel sorry for all the people that have waited patiently will get the shaft. I lost alot of respect for my owner if this is true. I tried calling my Salesperson and G.M. but they left for the day, after I left the show. They have forgotten what this car was supposed to do for them, bring in traffic to dull dealerships and reinforce the Saturn experience. The lure of the quick buck will backfire on longtime customers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
I went to the show today and saw a fabulous Sky optioned out like mine. I talked to one of the display people there and he was from the flag ship of the Saturn group I bought from. He told me that the policy on pricing has changed now. My order isn't effected because of my contract but they will charge a premium over msrp on all sales not already in the pipeline. My image was accepted on Jan 6, and I have been 030 for a long time with no change.I'm glad I was number one but I feel sorry for all the people that have waited patiently will get the shaft. I lost alot of respect for my owner if this is true. I tried calling my Salesperson and G.M. but they left for the day, after I left the show. They have forgotten what this car was supposed to do for them, bring in traffic to dull dealerships and reinforce the Saturn experience. The lure of the quick buck will backfire on longtime customers.
Some dealers just suck! :banghead: :brentil:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
The lure of the quick buck will backfire on longtime customers.
This befuddles me to know end (not that it takes much).
While perhaps Saturn can't control it (?), I still wonder if they are unable or unwilling.
Makes me wonder if the new Saturn image with it's Sky coming out party really didn't
want it's old customer base.
Maybe we don't spend enough or buy enough cars?
Plenty of consumers prior to Sky wouldn't consider a Saturn.
The financial analysis of this gambit certainly must have factored in some measure
of attrition to the current base with this eventuality.
Yes, fellow capitalists, I know, free market.
But at this level, there's a fair amount of strategy and tradeoffs.
To those who don't factor Saturn in at all, remember that GM issued pleas on the Soltice for restraint.
Didn't help much, but they at least made the effort.
Not too late for them to at least issue an appeal to dealers to no avail,
unless they would rather not appear impotent in the matter.
Interesting to watch.
Not so good to endure.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
skywatcher said:
This befuddles me to know end (not that it takes much).
While perhaps Saturn can't control it (?), I still wonder if they are unable or unwilling.
Makes me wonder if the new Saturn image with it's Sky coming out party really didn't
want it's old customer base.
Maybe we don't spend enough or buy enough cars?
Plenty of consumers prior to Sky wouldn't consider a Saturn.
The financial analysis of this gambit certainly must have factored in some measure
of attrition to the current base with this eventuality.
Yes, fellow capitalists, I know, free market.
But at this level, there's a fair amount of strategy and tradeoffs.
To those who don't factor Saturn in at all, remember that GM issued pleas on the Soltice for restraint.
Didn't help much, but they at least made the effort.
Not too late for them to at least issue an appeal to dealers to no avail,
unless they would rather not appear impotent in the matter.
Interesting to watch.
Not so good to endure.
IIRC, GM's Solstice 'pleas' were mainly for the First 1K cars. GM didn't want consumers participating in that promotion to come away feeling like they were abused by slimy Pontiac dealers. They sent out letters asking them to leave those cars alone, then afterward the dealers could (and did) do what they wanted. Even then, it was just a request and in most cases, it only pertained to one car. In that one-time only situation, most dealers acquiesced.

They can issue an appeal for restraint to Saturn dealers if they want, but it would be worthless. GM can not dictate what any independently owned dealer can sell a car for. They can't threaten to cut their allocations or punish them in any way. If they did so, they'd end up in court. Where they would lose. The bottom line is that they are completely impotent in the matter, and the dealers know it.

Saturn's M.O. hasn't changed at all. What's different is the dealers are about to have a car that generates high demand and will be in short supply. Some really do care about their customers and relationships with them, and some are willing to sacrifice that on the very good chance that new customers will show up wanting the cars and willing to pay large premiums to get them. Greed can be a very strong motivator.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Saturn has not changed their policy on pricing, unfortunatly saturn has never had a product before that would be able to sell over sticker price, so it was not an issue... By Law a manufacturer cannot dictate the price a retailer sells at... that is why the sticker is called Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price, It is a fact of life that the car will bring whatever people are willing to pay for it... if people will refuse to pay an upcharge then they will come down eventually... just hold on... the solstice is already experiencing that around here... they have them sitting on the lots now, a friend of ming just bought one off the lot for msrp...

·
Registered
246 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Saturn has not changed their policy on pricing, unfortunatly saturn has never had a product before that would be able to sell over sticker price, so it was not an issue... By Law a manufacturer cannot dictate the price a retailer sells at... that is why the sticker is called Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price, It is a fact of life that the car will bring whatever people are willing to pay for it... if people will refuse to pay an upcharge then they will come down eventually... just hold on... the solstice is already experiencing that around here... they have them sitting on the lots now, a friend of ming just bought one off the lot for msrp...

I agree with all that has been said about GM not being able to control upcharges. My question is how did GM control selling saturns up to now? Are not all Saturn dealers selling the rest of their line at MSRP under the Saturn's concept of no haggle pricing? That in fact is asking it's dealers to sell at one price. Years ago the Bose corporation got hammered in the courts for price fixing with retailers. How has GM pulled it off up to now?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Turk said:
I agree with all that has been said about GM not being able to control upcharges. My question is how did GM control selling saturns up to now? Are not all Saturn dealers selling the rest of their line at MSRP under the Saturn's concept of no haggle pricing? That in fact is asking it's dealers to sell at one price. Years ago the Bose corporation got hammered in the courts for price fixing with retailers. How has GM pulled it off up to now?
well It was always up to the individual retailer what they sold the car for , to get around that they could still play with trade in values and such. It is a federal law they cannot dictate what the retailer ultimatly sells the cars for, and they are still having special deals on some of their cars... just like when the manufacturer gives a dealer some incentives on certian models, the dealer can pass the savings on to the buyer or keep it for themselves and make more profit. Saturn had never said the retailer had to sell at a certian price, but they kind of forced their hand when they included it in their advertizing the first few years... which all they advertize now is no haggle pricing... which means the price they tell you is the price you pay.... But like i said befoe they can still play with the trade in values if they want to give you a better deal... or if you have no trade in give you a couple assessories for free... or a lower interest rate on your loan... all ways to vary the selling price in the end...

·
Registered
326 Posts
No Sky for me if price goes up.

Eye on Sky said:
Saturn/Pontiac made this car to have one of the lowest entry level roadsters on the market. It worked...they attracted me!! I will NOT buy my sky (I'm #2 on my dealer list--not allowed to order yet) if the price goes up. The ONLY way I'm justifying getting this TOY is the low price. I don't need another vehicle and don't want to get in debt. This is a purchase just for pleasure and the do-able low price called my name. Raise the price Saturn Dealer...I'll hold out a few years for a used BMW Z4.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Sunny Ragtop said:
Saturn/Pontiac made this car to have one of the lowest entry level roadsters on the market. It worked...they attracted me!! I will NOT buy my sky (I'm #2 on my dealer list--not allowed to order yet) if the price goes up. The ONLY way I'm justifying getting this TOY is the low price. I don't need another vehicle and don't want to get in debt. This is a purchase just for pleasure and the do-able low price called my name. Raise the price Saturn Dealer...I'll hold out a few years for a used BMW Z4.
there is a z4 in illinois for the same price...... i was looking at it.... used of course... 25,000 SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If my dealer jacks up the price they can keep it. I waited for the Solstice only to be smitten by the Sky which I'm waiting for again. If I have to wait another six months for prices to come into line I can do that too :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does anybody have a good email address to forward a complaint of dealer "bait and switch" tactics regarding price?

I have complained all over my local dealership who is selling at MSRP + $5,000 and was told basically "too bad" and "be glad we didn't set the price at MSRP + $10,000, because that was our original price point".

Since I'm not getting far locally, help me out with a good email address to complain to corporate. Jill's would be nice........

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Just checked on Car Max, I can get a BMW Z4 between $27 and $32K. This care was one of my original thoughts before the Sky came along. If the dealer messes with the price, it will be again. 10 years from now, the Z4 will still worth a good deal more they the Sky. Or, I will look at the 350ZX convertible. Won't take much price change for me to go to a car that has more performance in the same price range...

Just checked on a Corvette convertible, my all time favorite sports car (have a '71, so could add to the stable) and can get a used Car Max one for well within the same pricing. Same milage, known high resale, so if they dork around with pricing I will just have to convince the wife...

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Well, I just got off the phone with my dealer, and it does sound like they are playing with delivery dates. However, he said they were not going to be making any mark ups or putting any incentive type pricing on them. That's good, becuase I would like to have the new car warrenty on something I pay that much for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts