Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. In a discussion with the Household CFO :nonod: I have been reminded :nono: of budget considerations and my desires for "OPTIONS":D

I will add a CAI and a Cat-Back to the car, but assuming that I "phase things in" CFO talk for "choose one now and maybe you'll get one later:banghead: ...." which "mod" should or is best to go first? :confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference.

You need to consider the following factors and decide which you would give more preference to as your first choice...looks, performance, or price.

Let's start with the CAI:

looks - looks good under the hood only if it's open. no one will see it if the hood is closed.

performance - on it's own, the CAI will not give you a tremendous amount of power, look for anywhere between 5-10 hp gain.

price - a CAI will almost always cost less than a quality cat-back exhaust system, couple hundred dollars less I'd say!

Now let's look at the cat-back exhaust:

looks - looks good all the time because the exhuast tip will always be visible outside the car.

performance - expect the same hp gain as the CAI if you install by itself. now if you combine the two then you'll obviously see improved results.

price - more costly than the CAI

Another thing I might add is how each will sound once installed. You will notice a difference over the stock intake or exhaust. It might be alittle louder, deeper, meaner sounding. To some it's music to their ears while others could care less.

As for me, I am installing the intake first simply because it's available now.
I plan on installing a dual exhaust but those are not available yet otherwise that would have been my first choice.

I hope this helps in your decision. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If you're gonna go with the CAT back, you should consider spending a few hundred more and putting on a set of shorty headers to complete the job.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Start with the CAI..... and go from there..... that is my plan.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, there is also the reflashed ECM. That will give you a performance boost but do nothing for looks. I'm not sure if it changes the sound, but if it does its probably not much. This is probably the biggest bang for the tune buck performance wise, excepting a FI system.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
jarcher said:
Well, there is also the reflashed ECM. That will give you a performance boost but do nothing for looks. I'm not sure if it changes the sound, but if it does its probably not much. This is probably the biggest bang for the tune buck performance wise, excepting a FI system.
If you plan on adding other things, the ECM reflash is NOT what you want to do first since you'll end up having to pay for reflashes with each new performance addition.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ggccg said:
If you plan on adding other things, the ECM reflash is NOT what you want to do first since you'll end up having to pay for reflashes with each new performance addition.
No you wont, the base tune is setup for a CAI and exhaust, reflashes are free for common upgrades IE headers ect ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
GTPprix said:
No you wont, the base tune is setup for a CAI and exhaust, reflashes are free for common upgrades IE headers ect ;)
Chris, did you say tha a ECM reflash will add about 10 to 15 hp at the wheels, even without a CAI and high flow exhaust? I salw the 10 t 15 number in another thread but can't find the details now...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please explaine "reflash" and what the *&*^* is ECM.......this thing got "countermeasures???"

·
Registered
85 Posts
jarcher said:
Chris, did you say tha a ECM reflash will add about 10 to 15 hp at the wheels, even without a CAI and high flow exhaust? I salw the 10 t 15 number in another thread but can't find the details now...
Yessir :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
CUINOZ said:
Please explaine "reflash" and what the *&*^* is ECM.......this thing got "countermeasures???"
ECM = Engine Control Module. It's a computer that controls your engine while you're driving. Welcome to the 21st century. The ECM reads all the sensors and controls all aspects of the engine, including fuel feed, valve timing and so on.

Like all computers, the ECM needs software to control it. Typically, this kind of software is called "firmware" but its the same thing; instructions to control the computer.

"Reflash" is the process by which the firmware is changed in your ECM. The ECM has "Flash RAM" and you update it by flashing it.

By changing certian aspects of the software, you can get more performance out of the engine.

So you might ask, if this can be improved, why not improve it at the factory? Well, the software guys have programmed the ECM to have a lot of safety margins, to work with 89 octain gas, and so on. If I promise to always use 93 octain fuel, then Chris can reprogram my ECM to take advantage of that. He can also make a bunch of other little changes to give me a bit more ommph.

This is very tempting.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"jarcher" how does one go about getting a 're-flash' done?:confused: The explanation make a lot of sense. I will also promiss :D to only fuel with the 93 if that would make a difference. I would do it anyway as my Nissan SC needs high test.....but, can I get more HP also? THIS would be very nice.

I will go with the CAI to begin with and I would love that Magnaflow exhaust with the dual tips... As your only across the 'Bay' as it were....I'd appreciate any wisdom you have. Thanks:)

Hey this 21st Century motoring is just fine........what would be the total HP gain for the reflash and CAI and Cat-back? are we really talking about hitting 200 +?? :cool: Thanks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
CUINOZ said:
"jarcher" how does one go about getting a 're-flash' done?:confused: The explanation make a lot of sense. I will also promiss :D to only fuel with the 93 if that would make a difference. I would do it anyway as my Nissan SC needs high test.....but, can I get more HP also? THIS would be very nice.

I will go with the CAI to begin with and I would love that Magnaflow exhaust with the dual tips... As your only across the 'Bay' as it were....I'd appreciate any wisdom you have. Thanks:)

Hey this 21st Century motoring is just fine........what would be the total HP gain for the reflash and CAI and Cat-back? are we really talking about hitting 200 +?? :cool: Thanks.
To get a reflash, you remove your ECM, which is very easy to do. You ship it to Chris (GTPrix) and he does the reflash for you. Then you reinstall it. If you prefer, you could buy an entire new ECM from him with the new software in it, and replace the one you have. **However,** this requires that you go visit your dealer with the new ECM installed and ask them to do a "crank learn." Once this is done, you can switch the ECM back and fourth if you like. Chris has told me privately that if I have my existing ECM reflashed and want it back to stock, he will put it back at no charge. I believe he also offers a 30 day money back guarantee, but ask him to be sure.

Chris has said, right in this thread, that the ECM reflash alone will give you an additional 10 to 15 hp at your wheels, which is really quite a bit for one mod. Depending upon which CAI you get, thats probably between 6 and 10 hp. An exhaust will add several more, but be careful. If a CAI **alone** gives you 7 and a CAT back **alone** gives you 8, that does not necesserally mean that the two together will give you 15hp. Talk to Chris or someone at Kappasphere about that.

I have not done this as I am waiting for a RL and will sell the Sky when it arrives, but from what I read here and elsewhere and from playing with other cars (years ago, when I had time) a reflash, CAI and CAT back all togewther will probably give you another 25 or more HP at the wheels. Probably. Others who have done it will correct me if I am wrong (I hope).

But talk with Chris. Tell him what kind of gas, what other mods you have and/or are planning. The more you tell him, the better he can make your Sky do what you want it to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts