Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Sky and/or Saturn enthusiasts,

I'm drooling over the upcoming Sky, but there is one important sticking point before I buy. We have a 2.5-year-old toddler. Though we have a minivan already, we will still need backup transportation for the little one in case the minivan goes to the shop. (Or should I say: for all the times the minivan goes to the shop. Stupid Nissan Quest.) So far, my 1997 SC2 is sufficing, but I would trade that in for the Sky.

We all know the cover-our-butts wording in the official Sky specs that "children are always safer in the back seat." Unfortunately, I don't think my little one will fit in the 1.4 cubic feet. :)

What are your experiences with putting child safety seats in the front passenger seat of a 2-seater?

I believe the airbag passenger sensing system is meant to turn off the airbag if a child is in the seat, but I'm not sure I would trust this. The car seat plus the child can add to considerable weight. What if this weight is borderline to activating the airbag? I wouldn't want a bump in the road to cause the weight registered on the seat to become large enough to activate the airbag, and then have an accident right there.

I remember in the news when passenger airbags first came out: you could have the dealer install a keyed switch in the dash that would disable the passenger airbag. Do they still do this? This seems much more trustworthy for turning off the airbag than a weight-sensing system. Would you trust a dealer to do this to your Sky?

Next question: normally a child seat attaches to a seat with two anchors in the butt of the seat and a latch over the top of the seat back. Does anyone know if the front passenger seat has the anchors? From the picture of the top/back of the seat, I don't see any latch at the top either. Does anyone know if there is a top latch?

Thanks for your input! Please respond to the forum.

- Jeff
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Children are killed by airbags! Unless you can turn the airbag off with a key you have to ask yourself if it is worth it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
My parents were looking at trucks a few years ago and had the same question. Turned out that in California, you can't find anyone that will touch the autosensing airbag system. My parents couldn't find anyone that would put in a switch. apparently they are scare of being sued. I guess if they tamper with factory equipt saftey features, then someone is killed cause it was turned off then they can be sued.
I know it sounds stupid, thats because it is, but this is california... where ppl sue for everything under the sun.

they ended up buying a dodge ram which had a key on/off switch from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
My friend's solstice has a key switch for the airbag in the glove box. Lets hope that the sky is the same way.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
rick112 said:
Children are killed by airbags! Unless you can turn the airbag off with a key you have to ask yourself if it is worth it!
Well, i am an RN.. and airbags are horrible.. for children.. THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR KIDS UNDER 14-16..... too dangerous.. it is not usually the driver.. it is "THE OTHER GUY".... just not a car for carseats.... SkyBaby-07

DISCLOSURE: MY OPINION ONLY.....I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY CRITICAL/DECEASED PATIENTS FROM CONVERTIBLES... and way too many kids.. needless..... ok.. done
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
I would agree not a car for little ones. My kids are all grown but are still around every now and then when there home from university.I'm going to try and keep my older kids out of it :lol: at least the drivers seat.:lol: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
SkyBaby said:
Well, i am an RN.. and airbags are horrible.. for children.. THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR KIDS UNDER 14-16..... too dangerous.. it is not usually the driver.. it is "THE OTHER GUY".... just not a car for carseats.... SkyBaby-07

DISCLOSURE: MY OPINION ONLY.....I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY CRITICAL/DECEASED PATIENTS FROM CONVERTIBLES... and way too many kids.. needless..... ok.. done
one thing the airbag is not active until a weight of over 40 pounds is in the seat...and they have stages airbags too, the less weight the less force the airbag deployes at..
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
one thing the airbag is not active until a weight of over 40 pounds is in the seat...and they have stages airbags too, the less weight the less force the airbag deployes at..
SkyMan, i agree with that... but this is not the type of car that is suitable for young kids (ie: infants/toddlers) . i think .. AGAIN.. MY OPINION.. i have grandkids and this is not our primary mode of transportation.. ..... just like it is not the car if you need lots of storage space.. a family truckster is the ticket .. safest ticket for little ones.. and when the lid is down and the wonderful breeze we adults relish in , that is not good on their lungs... ooopsy... the nurse in me coming out.. i beleive and trust in the safety of airbags but.. NOTHING IS FULLPROOF... i found that out when my daughter and i were driving and we did have the passenger airbag turned OFF..... and we hit a bump.... IT DEPLOYED...... ... AGAIN.... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION... SkyBaby-07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
I tend to agree with SkyBaby on this one. A baby and or toddler belong in a back seat which of course is absent in said car. I have a seven year old daughter and it took me forever to allow her into the front seat of our Trailblazer. The thought of a child so close to the windshield just scares me. No, if I had a SKY back then and my usual vehicle goes ca-ca I either never take baby anywhere until the normal car is fixed or I rent one in the interim. Just my opinion of course, but, I also have a good friend who is a pediatric nurse and some of the horror stories she has told me about young ones in car accidents that were in the front seat of cars, trucks and suvs is just hideous! Air bags or not! Okay, I'm off the proverbial soap box now! I know ya'll are glad! Sorry!:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
SkyBaby said:
SkyMan 07 said:
one thing the airbag is not active until a weight of over 40 pounds is in the seat...and they have stages airbags too, the less weight the less force the airbag deployes at..
SkyMan, i agree with that... but this is not the type of car that is suitable for young kids (ie: infants/toddlers) . i think .. AGAIN.. MY OPINION.. i have grandkids and this is not our primary mode of transportation.. ..... just like it is not the car if you need lots of storage space.. a family truckster is the ticket .. safest ticket for little ones.. and when the lid is down and the wonderful breeze we adults relish in , that is not good on their lungs... ooopsy... the nurse in me coming out.. i beleive and trust in the safety of airbags but.. NOTHING IS FULLPROOF... i found that out when my daughter and i were driving and we did have the passenger airbag turned OFF..... and we hit a bump.... IT DEPLOYED...... ... AGAIN.... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION... SkyBaby-07
i never heard of a airbag going off just from hitting a bump, had the car been worked on recently before that happened? what kind of car was it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts
I agree with SkyBaby, Boots and all inm the fact that the SKY is for us older kids in our second childhood to get away from the kids & grandkids and have some fun onm our own once in a awhile, I love my kids & grandkids, but I love quality time with my wife Kathy also. By the way I was informed of tonite I will having a second grandchild this year, Oct/Nov thereabouts, #8, WOOHOO, another future SKY owner for sure:thumbs: :D I guess they better drill #3 to keep up with these younguns, just so I can afford Saturns for all of them:lol: :lol: :D I sure am blessed with family, and good forum friends all over the country, thanks yall!!!:cheers:

ERNEST:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
Ernest said:
I agree with SkyBaby, Boots and all inm the fact that the SKY is for us older kids in our second childhood to get away from the kids & grandkids and have some fun onm our own once in a awhile, I love my kids & grandkids, but I love quality time with my wife Kathy also. By the way I was informed of tonite I will having a second grandchild this year, Oct/Nov thereabouts, #8, WOOHOO, another future SKY owner for sure:thumbs: :D I guess they better drill #3 to keep up with these younguns, just so I can afford Saturns for all of them:lol: :lol: :D I sure am blessed with family, and good forum friends all over the country, thanks yall!!!:cheers:
ERNEST:thumbs:
Same here Ernest! The older kids (us), 5 kids and 8 grandkids. The three oldest grandkids can get their own Skies (sp?) as they are of age. I do have 2 ex's but they aren't from Texas..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
Kids? :eek:

I'm paranoid about having my dog in the car - even strapped in with a seat harness!

I couldn't even begin to think about having little children in the car!

:willy:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
Spag said:
Kids? :eek:

I'm paranoid about having my dog in the car - even strapped in with a seat harness!

I couldn't even begin to think about having little children in the car!

:willy:

hmmm..... no dogs ... or ponies in car... and btw... i do drool.. but only while staring at the sky's i cant DRIVE...... wipes off easily with.... ahhh..... hmmm. not sure... i will get back to you on that one..... SkyBaby-07
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
i never heard of a airbag going off just from hitting a bump, had the car been worked on recently before that happened? what kind of car was it?

Well,... it was a rental .... drove all the way to omaha from rockford... HIT A BIG BUMP... pothole.. and WHAM..... it was so horrible..... SkyBaby-07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Wasn';t a law passed a few years ago that allowed you to get an airbag shutoff switch installed on the passenger bag if you planned to have children in the car? It might be an option to look into if you do not trust the auto system.

You should also be able to "test" the auto system over bumps and such. It has a display on the dash which shows you when it is armed and when it is not. Put the child seat in, and put weight in it equal to you child's weight and drive around. See if any bumps affect the airbag's status. I think it has to be a constant weight for it to activate, to prevent a bump from accidentally activating the system when someone of light weight is in the seat, but your certainly better off safe than sorry!
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Wasn';t a law passed a few years ago that allowed you to get an airbag shutoff switch installed on the passenger bag if you planned to have children in the car? It might be an option to look into if you do not trust the auto system.

You should also be able to "test" the auto system over bumps and such. It has a display on the dash which shows you when it is armed and when it is not. Put the child seat in, and put weight in it equal to you child's weight and drive around. See if any bumps affect the airbag's status. I think it has to be a constant weight for it to activate, to prevent a bump from accidentally activating the system when someone of light weight is in the seat, but your certainly better off safe than sorry!

I think a law was passed, i was told by the dealership that i had the car checked out at that it was a "fluke"... but still, just that it happened will make me not have my grandkids in my car.. AT ALL.... and of course, this is MY BABY.... SkyBaby-07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

I already knew I wouldn't trust the weight-sensing system. Skybaby, your experience with the disable switch that didn't work was key. I only needed one example to not trust that either. Thanks anyway 123troy for pointing out that the factory probably installs a switch already.

Skybaby, you were on track with your two suggestions of renting a car during the minivan servicing or leaving the kid at home. I'm keen on a third option: not trading in my SC2 when I buy the Sky. I'd like to hold onto that SC2 anyway for sentimental reasons (first new car I ever bought), and it can stay on as the backup child transportation.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
markwell said:
Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

I already knew I wouldn't trust the weight-sensing system. Skybaby, your experience with the disable switch that didn't work was key. I only needed one example to not trust that either. Thanks anyway 123troy for pointing out that the factory probably installs a switch already.

Skybaby, you were on track with your two suggestions of renting a car during the minivan servicing or leaving the kid at home. I'm keen on a third option: not trading in my SC2 when I buy the Sky. I'd like to hold onto that SC2 anyway for sentimental reasons (first new car I ever bought), and it can stay on as the backup child transportation.

Thanks for your comment... not everyday when a genuine person says thank you..... i do appreciate it. I just love my kids/grandkids.. .like i am sure we all do.. and just dont see taking that chance.. they are gifts from GOD.. and.. they brighten up my day... SkyBaby-07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
markwell said:
Hello fellow Sky and/or Saturn enthusiasts,

I'm drooling over the upcoming Sky, but there is one important sticking point before I buy. We have a 2.5-year-old toddler. Though we have a minivan already, we will still need backup transportation for the little one in case the minivan goes to the shop. (Or should I say: for all the times the minivan goes to the shop. Stupid Nissan Quest.) So far, my 1997 SC2 is sufficing, but I would trade that in for the Sky.

We all know the cover-our-butts wording in the official Sky specs that "children are always safer in the back seat." Unfortunately, I don't think my little one will fit in the 1.4 cubic feet. :)

What are your experiences with putting child safety seats in the front passenger seat of a 2-seater?

I believe the airbag passenger sensing system is meant to turn off the airbag if a child is in the seat, but I'm not sure I would trust this. The car seat plus the child can add to considerable weight. What if this weight is borderline to activating the airbag? I wouldn't want a bump in the road to cause the weight registered on the seat to become large enough to activate the airbag, and then have an accident right there.

I remember in the news when passenger airbags first came out: you could have the dealer install a keyed switch in the dash that would disable the passenger airbag. Do they still do this? This seems much more trustworthy for turning off the airbag than a weight-sensing system. Would you trust a dealer to do this to your Sky?

Next question: normally a child seat attaches to a seat with two anchors in the butt of the seat and a latch over the top of the seat back. Does anyone know if the front passenger seat has the anchors? From the picture of the top/back of the seat, I don't see any latch at the top either. Does anyone know if there is a top latch?

Thanks for your input! Please respond to the forum.

- Jeff
I can tell you for a fact that a seat will fit fine in the front seat, I can take a picture of one if you like. Also there is a small panel on the dash that tells the status of the passenger airbag. If no one is sitting in the seat it says it is "off", if my wife sits, it is on. When my son sits it says it is off. And there is no switch in the glove box, the sensor is in the seat. The only switch in the glove box is the rear deck release to store the top. You will also have the release button on your key set.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top