Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about order a graphite redline this week and can't decide if it's worth the cash to go from the polished to the chromies. does anybody have any pictures showing them on a graphite for comparison. i've heard they look quite similar.

also i heard that the chrome will fall apart more especially in snowy weather, which i will experience every winter where i live. any picture/comments/help is greatly appreciated. thanks a ton.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
I'm thinking about order a graphite redline this week and can't decide if it's worth the cash to go from the polished to the chromies. does anybody have any pictures showing them on a graphite for comparison. i've heard they look quite similar.

also i heard that the chrome will fall apart more especially in snowy weather, which i will experience every winter where i live. any picture/comments/help is greatly appreciated. thanks a ton.
ummm......hmmmmmm...look to the left! :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Angelqute1 said:
yours chrome or polished? also anyone else have pics of both to compare?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Angelqute1 said:

girl I know those wheels have been a source of frustration for you but they are AWESOME :thumbs: I am loving those wheels:D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
girl I know those wheels have been a source of frustration for you but they are AWESOME :thumbs: I am loving those wheels:D
Yes thay have, thank you, and you're right, they are awesome.

100% Chrome Wheels - Foose "Spank 5"

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have seen the polished on a Sky, from a distance they look almost like a chrome wheel, but when you get up close they look like they are chrome wheels that are old and dull looking from sand blasting... but that is my opinion....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Chrome, if you are going this far, might as well go ALL THE WAY!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you guys think the salt from the trucks to get rid of snow/ice will oxidize the rims and make them look bad after time? i've heard that could happen quite easily?

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
Two words for you...winter wheels.

Look around the Sky and Solstice for sale forums for a set of stock painted wheels for sale from someone who has upgraded to aftermarket wheels. Use those in the winter with winter tires and keep your chrome wheels for summer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It you mean the few hundred dollar difference, then I would just go ahead & get the chrome. If you are talking about the $2k ones, no way. They're not worth it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
do you guys think the salt from the trucks to get rid of snow/ice will oxidize the rims and make them look bad after time? i've heard that could happen quite easily?
I don't plan on driving mine in the winter. If I did, then winter wheels, or an old trick I used 25 years ago.

You can get clear Rustoleum spray paint, and build up 3 or 5 coats to protect the Chrome.

I did that on a 1981 4X4, and the rims still looked new when I sold her in 1991.

OK,, flame away,,, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Our friend has a graphite sky with polished, we have silver pearl with chrome. Everytime we get together our friend ALWAYS says "I should have got the chrome". I agree, but at the time they were waiting for red/black interior with and auto transmission AND chrome. All three options were just not available at the same time.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I like the painted wheels on my silver pearl. I think any other color would look better with chrome. The graphite really makes the chrome vents on the hood stand out and I think the wheels will stand out more also.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think i will go with the chrome for looks, but i am afraid that the bad weather in cinci will tear them up, i sincerely doubt i'll get an extra set of winter tires and this will be my only vehicle. hmmm....and what is the name of the sealent that was mentioned before used to protect the chrome?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Polished are lighter and cheaper, sounds like a win-win to me. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
My silver graphite with polished wheels look great. When my car was built, the chrome wheels were on backorder. All the salemen at my dealership were bumed out. I was glad they had the polished wheel option. On silver graphite I believe polished looks better.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have seen both on the silver graphite at the dealer and IMO I thought the chrome looked better. You could put rim protectant on it such as Poorboy's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts