Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed a Crossfire on the way into work this morning. I had almost forgotten about that car, I see so few of them on the road.

As I passed it, I noticed it was similar size of the Kappa cars, and sort've remembered it was more expensive... Good looking car, but not going to draw "Wows" from people.

Checked the Chrysler site.. the Base Roadster is 35,000. Now it has 215 horse (40 more than base Sky)... but the Solstice at 21k and sky at 24k are significantly cheaper, and I think actually look better.

For 30k, ya jump up to a Sky Redline for 5,000 less than base crossfire, and have more horsepower and a better looking car.

Other than someone being a Mopar fan, not sure why they'd look at the Crossfire.

What's going on in the Crossfire that makes it significantly more expensive?

GM did Halo cars right. Not only are they unique enough to get attention, but they are priced right to put them in the budgets of almost anyone looking at a new primary car, and makes them available to more people as a second car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Crossfire is leftover SLK parts sorta, and the whole thing is a Mercedes (vitually). Before I saw my first Sky I was buying one in October of this year, and almost went back. Nice car but not worth the money at least to me any more.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Almost bought a Crossfire

Before I bought my Sky, I seriously considered a Crossfire convertible. They come with all the bells and whistles and are basically a poor man's Mercedes. They have a six speed tranny, power top and power everything, plus a trunk. They have a spoiler that raises up when you reach a certain speed. I thought the throw in the gears was long and the clutch was soft like there was nothing there. They handle very slushy for a roadster, ... more like a sedan. I like the feel of the Sky clutch much better. The reason that you don't see many is that they have not been well accepted by the public. Few Chrysler dealers have many if any in their inventory. Any more, you basically have to order one in. I do like their yellow color better than the Sky / Solstice though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a friend who works as the regional distribution manager for Chrysler who was going to set me up with an SRT-6 crossfire. I really enjoyed that car but I couldn't get used to the wonky stalks on the steering column. I don't remember what it was, I think I was putting my wipers on all the time, but I held off and luckily I found out about these cars shortly after. It saved me about $5k (with the discount of course)! The Crossfire SRT-6 sure is a sweet car though, very comparable to the kappas except much more phallic.

·
Super Moderator
6,656 Posts
My brother has a Crossfire. He likes it, but its too German for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
crossfire

during the 9 months i waited for my sky, i drove the crossfire a couple times.

1] has more room than a sky, truck space
2] auto top
3] rotten resale value
4] my dealer was discounting them at one point almost $10k off sticker.....

crossfire is great, but not as much fun to drive than my sky.... more refined....
also the attention to the sky is unreal! everyday i am chased, or someone will yell out their window, [what is that????]

buck for buck the sky is the best buy, if you can get one at list, like I did......

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe that person liked the crossfire.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Crossfire is still in production, as far as I know. And the question is reversed, not what makes the Crossfire more expensive than a Sky or an S2K, but what makes it less expensive than a Mercedes. And it certainly is more along the lines of a boulevaard cruiser. You do have to give them points for the power moving rear spoiler.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Crossfire is still in production, as far as I know. And the question is reversed, not what makes the Crossfire more expensive than a Sky or an S2K, but what makes it less expensive than a Mercedes. And it certainly is more along the lines of a boulevaard cruiser. You do have to give them points for the power moving rear spoiler.
What makes it LESS expensive is the little winged badge on the back. In MI there are lots full of them...just not moving and thats even with a 250/mo. lease deal!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
You do have to give them points for the power moving rear spoiler.
Yea, if there's ONE addition I'd make to the Sky it would definately be this. It makes a mid-scale car seem very upscale.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We also looked at the Crossfire prior to putting money down on the Sky. The big decision factors for choosing the Sky over the Crossfire were, we wouldn't have to sell the house, hock our '55' chevy or tell my mom she would have to start living totally on Social Security. :nono: The fact that the Sky is a 'much' better looking car influenced us 'JUST A TAD'. :thumbs: We're still waiting but we talked to our dealer last Friday and we have finally moved up to #1 on the list. The next allocation for a base Sky is ours. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
We also looked at the Crossfire prior to putting money down on the Sky. The big decision factors for choosing the Sky over the Crossfire were, we wouldn't have to sell the house, hock our '55' chevy or tell my mom she would have to start living totally on Social Security. :nono: The fact that the Sky is a 'much' better looking car influenced us 'JUST A TAD'. :thumbs: We're still waiting but we talked to our dealer last Friday and we have finally moved up to #1 on the list. The next allocation for a base Sky is ours. :cheers:
congrats on the #1 slot :thumbs: sounds like wait is getting shorter......

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Crossfire also, one of the last 04 models. It is a different type of car than the SKY, a GT versus a swell roadster. The interior quality is not to be compared with the SKY--it is much more posh, and that is what it ought to be as a GT car. As for styling, it is rather polarizing, I like the "boat tail" and the Deco bonnet lines. The SKY also has a little bit of the boat tail. It has fine power and excellent interior space, as I am 6'4" it feels bigger than the SKY.

The SKY is longer and wider, however, just by degrees. It was the first sports car my family ever owned that was not a stick, and it was bought that way for the very reason stated above, the long throw and squishy clutch feel. Unfortunately the resale is indeed awful, but the SRT-6 is a serious machine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My next door neighbor has a Crossfire, and he loves it. It certainly is fast. The 3.2 liter is an excellent engine. (I should know. My wife drove an E320 for 5 years). I also considered a Crossfire, but derferred to the much more eye catching looks of the Sky. I remember when I first saw the Crossfire. I thought it was a very good looking car. I remember when I first saw the Sky. I was compelled to go home, pick up a phone book, look up the nearest Saturn dealer, call them, and place an order. No other car has moved me the way the Sky has. Everytime I look at my car, I can't believe how good looking it is. There is just something about the Sky. There are alot of other roadsters out there. All with good points and some bad. But none of them have the eye-catching looks that the Sky has. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts