Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you haven't been following the threads on the Solstice forum. Chuck Mallett of www.mallettcars.com officially announce he will be doing a conversion of both the Solstice and Sky. The conversion details are to be release later this month; after GM's approval. The conversion will be placing a LS2 V8 (C6 Corvette motor) in place of the ECOTEC 4 cylinder. Additional parts and suspension setup will be included. Again, details will be coming shortly.

For those who do not know, Mallett was the engine builder of the 980 HP ECOTEC used in the Saturn Ion last year at Bonneville. The car set a new speed record of 214.88 mph! Yes, you read that right, a 200+ mph 4 cylinder Saturn car. Granted the Sky conversion will not be Bonneville screamer, but a company that can build this type of engine will build a great street Sky. As you can tell I'm very excited about this.

·
Registered
245 Posts
:eek: I had no clue it was possible to fit that big of an engine in such a small engine bay... omfg... how much did you say this was? :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
101jinx101 said:
:eek: I had no clue it was possible to fit that big of an engine in such a small engine bay... omfg... how much did you say this was? :D
the LS2 isnt too much bigger than the ecotec 2.4L in actual size even though the displacement is so much more.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Official pricing for the conversion has not be released. Expect the pricing within the next few weeks. If you can make it to SEMA this coming fall you will get to see a very special Solstice, hint hint. Just be sure not to scratch my car... ;-)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way to get into SEMA is to be an auto journalist, business buyer or seller. You may want to check with some local performance shops to see if they would be interested in attending and you could be listed as a consultant. You just need to provide proof you are employeed as listed above. You will need to present a photo ID at the door to verified yourself as listed on your official application. Good luck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Delnari said:
The only way to get into SEMA is to be an auto journalist, business buyer or seller. You may want to check with some local performance shops to see if they would be interested in attending and you could be listed as a consultant. You just need to provide proof you are employeed as listed above. You will need to present a photo ID at the door to verified yourself as listed on your official application. Good luck.
*cue the mission impossible theme* :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Woah, V8, huh? How much difference is there in weight between the LS2 and the Ecotec? and with turbo hardware? A V8 sounds great, and I'm not terribly worried about the difference in gas milage, but if it throws off the near 50/50 weight distribution...

.. still, that might be something to consider if I had tons of money. I would guess an upgrade like this would end up in the 5 digit price range (not including the car).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Info on the V8 Solstice and V8 Sky have been posted today at Mallett's website. Not only are they offering the V8 conversion, but they're also offering a supercharger and turbocharger as options!

I've emailed them just a short while ago about pricing; no numbers were shown on the page.

Check it out:
http://www.mallettcars.com/news-6-16-05-v8solsticedetails.htm

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The base conversion will be $15k - $18k depending on number of orders at the start of the conversions. The more orders the lower the price will be as they can buy the parts in bulk, and have plenty of ECOTEC 2.4L to sell to other customers. Remember, your old parts including engine is part of the conversion pricing.

A significant deposit is required too, $10k (no refunds)! You must be able to pay the additional $5k - $8k at delivery. The other options are at additional costs (turbo, super, wheels, etc.). If you have a regular order, Pontiac can drop ship directly to Mallett instead of you local dealer, EOP cars cannot due to rules of program.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The base LS2 conversion will include an upgraded exhaust system as well. The exact details as to which one and whether it will be dual outlets or true dual exhaust has not be released yet. Keep your eye on the site weekly for updates.

To hear what your new LS2 Sky will sound like, choose touring options 1-6

Sounds of LS2 Power

Mallett cars is working directly with GM on this project to ensure everything is done correctly. My guess is, GM wants to see how feasible a V8 option is on the kappa platform, and will consumers buy one directly from the factory if they built it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Delnari's got the info! They haven't even written me back yet and you got the pricing already :lol:

I kind of figured it'd be a ten grand+ price tag. I was afraid to say twenty grand, but it seems like that's what it'd be. If a V8 Sky were available from the factory I think I'd still save my money for the Mallett conversion; aftermarket mods just seem so much more powerful. Guess I'll have to see what I can afford when the time comes.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Delnari said:
Mallett cars is working directly with GM on this project to ensure everything is done correctly. My guess is, GM wants to see how feasible a V8 option is on the kappa platform, and will consumers buy one directly from the factory if they built it...
I find this a dubious claim. In every business transaction, you need to follow the money.

GM has LS2's, Solstices, and the resources to do what Mallett does. What does GM get out of this? I see what Mallett gets out of it (taking $10K non-refundable deposits on a car not yet built).

Why, when GM can't supply current demand for base Solstices (and likely even tighter supply on Sky), and all the "conspiracy theorists" say the Fiero was cancelled because it would "compete with the Corvette" would they work with an outside supplier to achieve something they could do themselves?

Is Mallett paying GM for the opportunity to do this? (I doubt it) Does everyone really think GM needs an outside company to swap an engine just to "gage market demand"?

I think Mallett would LIKE everyone to think he is working directly with GM - but if he was, why the secrecy? Why wouldn't GM at least mention a marketing link or some sort of indication? Chuck Mallett's only answer was "they had sources with-in".

So do I. And I'm sure, so do you Delnari.

And, why, if there are prototype LS2 Solstices running around (as Chuck Mallett has implied from his e-mails), hasn't he ever put one on a scale, or why doesn't he know details like performance stats? It doesn't make sense to just stuff an engine in, then advertise you are going to provide cars like this, but never even measure anything on it. Not even a picture. The pictures on the site are GM-released pictures (even the phantom cut-away picture).

And if GM was really working with the Malletts, they surely wouldn't just give him a car, let the Malletts swap the engine, then take it away (as if they would let it go) afterward. Additionally, with the way GM's information security works, there would be all kinds of leaks - and much of the engineering team would have at least seen such a phantom car.

Just some food for thought - I'll believe it when I see the cars.

·
Registered
432 Posts
kappaman said:
I find this a dubious claim. In every business transaction, you need to follow the money.

GM has LS2's, Solstices, and the resources to do what Mallett does. What does GM get out of this? I see what Mallett gets out of it (taking $10K non-refundable deposits on a car not yet built).

Why, when GM can't supply current demand for base Solstices (and likely even tighter supply on Sky), and all the "conspiracy theorists" say the Fiero was cancelled because it would "compete with the Corvette" would they work with an outside supplier to achieve something they could do themselves?

Is Mallett paying GM for the opportunity to do this? (I doubt it) Does everyone really think GM needs an outside company to swap an engine just to "gage market demand"?

I think Mallett would LIKE everyone to think he is working directly with GM - but if he was, why the secrecy? Why wouldn't GM at least mention a marketing link or some sort of indication? Chuck Mallett's only answer was "they had sources with-in".
well, maybe when he says he was working with GM... maybe he means he is getting all the stuff from GM, but hes doing all the engineering/mechanical crap himself. sorta like when i make a cassarole, i go to giant eagle and buy all the ingredients, so i guess i could say i am working directly with giant eagle on my cassarole. i buy all the "parts" from them and "build" the final product myself. it could have just been the way he chose his words. dont look too far into his words and begins a skeptical attitude towards him. as i recall, you were all gung ho on it when he first announced it anyways :) dont worry, he'll put out something good! it may or may not be what we are hoping/expecting, but that doesnt mean it wont be an awsome car!

·
Registered
432 Posts
kappaman said:
And, why, if there are prototype LS2 Solstices running around (as Chuck Mallett has implied from his e-mails), hasn't he ever put one on a scale, or why doesn't he know details like performance stats? It doesn't make sense to just stuff an engine in, then advertise you are going to provide cars like this, but never even measure anything on it. Not even a picture. The pictures on the site are GM-released pictures (even the phantom cut-away picture).

And if GM was really working with the Malletts, they surely wouldn't just give him a car, let the Malletts swap the engine, then take it away (as if they would let it go) afterward. Additionally, with the way GM's information security works, there would be all kinds of leaks - and much of the engineering team would have at least seen such a phantom car.

Just some food for thought - I'll believe it when I see the cars.

yeah, im back already...

maybe we have seen an ls2 solstice. just because we havent seen under the hood doesnt mean its not there. the f/i sols that we saw a couple months back, i wonder if one of them had an ls2 in it? who knows. and maybe GM asked him not to release any statistical or detailed into yet. maybe they want the base sol out there for the world to see/purchase before they give some info on yet another version of it. the sol has been in development for a while, while the mallett has been much less. i say give it time. he's not going to make his claims of doing all this, just to smear his good name. let this guy's reputation give you the trust you are looking for... or at least the patience. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The cars are for real and the relationships are for real. Please come and join me at SEMA this year. I love to make bets with all these doubting thomas. Anyway, the new kappa platform is looking to very very big in the performance history on GM. The platform offers something we haven't seen from an American manufacturer since the 60's.

The main reasons why you haven't seen formal announcements about GM's involvement thus far is because it's evolving. GM wants to be sure that anyone who is messing with their new platform doesn't screw it up and create a bad image. They also want to keep the Corvette image as the number one GM sports car; for now anyway. GM is protecting their image and will be forthcoming to the public once things are complete and safe.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The main reason my skepticism meter jumped is that mallettcars has been less than forthcoming about details, both publicly and in private correspondence, but they are more than willing to take a non-refundable deposit of a significant amount of money.

I'm not about to plunk down $10K non-refundable without some indication of this being well-researched and a CLEAR relationship of working with GM. A bunch of statements like "we think this car will be a blast to drive" and requoting specs I already know (400 hp for the LS2 and 2800 lbs.!!!). I already know a car with those specs would be a blast to drive.

In some of the correspondence, they tried to imply that working with dealers to set up great service was "working with GM." I don't care if the Malletts are working with Pontiac dealers - PONTIAC dealers are most certainly NOT GM - especially GM engineering (structural, vehicle dynamics, powertrain, etc.).

So, in an effort to get more information, I started asking my contacts - since Mallett is working so "closely" with GM, then SURELY some of the higher up contacts within GM would know about this... right?

Or is it SO top secret that nobody in Engineering or Advanced Development knows anything about it? It seems fishy - and MallettCars may have lost a potential customer because this particular interested party won't fall for hype - this particular customer wants to see the specs at minimum before he buys.

Swat', if they say they are working with GM, but only getting parts from GM, then they are not "working" with GM - they are re-engineering a GM product with GM-supplied parts. Saying they are working with GM is rather misleading. Anyone getting a crate motor and putting it into a Fiero is also "working with GM"...

If they are really "working" with GM, then I'd like to know that GM has supplied them with drawings, parts, they worked with GM's platform engineering (not just talked with someone high up in management), understood the necessary changes in cooling (just adding a 4 core radiator doesn't always do the trick) and a hundred other things that can be missed with a simple reverse-re-engineer job.

I never said I would be surprised by engine swap jobs and upgraded Kappa - you're right Delnari, this has a lot of potential for aftermarket.

The malletts are trying to get deposits on 100 of these cars - at $10K a pop that is $1M before any hardware changes hands... The car is not even out yet, GM has orders for cars that will likely take production AT LEAST until the end of the year. Maybe that's chump change for others, but a million is not an insignificant amount of cash.

So, before I start to commit, I ask what ANY SENSIBLE person asks - "have you already done this or is this something you plan to do?" When they reply that they have done it already, I ask simple questions like "did you drive it before hand? What did it weigh before and after the swap? What was the 0-60 before and after the swap? How much suspension alteration was necessary? Did you have to make any structural alterations? Does it require specific LS2 exhaust manifolds, or stock? Do you have any pictures of the engine? Will this be an available option for the Sky? How maintainable is the engine (accessiblilty of plugs, oil filter, etc.)"

The answers I got were not satisfying - absolutely NO detail, just a statement at "it bolts right in", and "they will be taking deposits", "no alterations required...", "they offer a 2 year warranty." Actually, Mallettcars didn't initially know what the Sky was, when I called - but said they recieved hundreds of calls asking similar questions and would put lots of technical information on their website by June 1, including pictures (I'm still waiting).

So, if it "just bolts right in", and GM can get LS2 engines for their own cost... why in the WORLD wouldn't they just do a straight limited edition Solstice/Sky LS2 and charge $38,000 for 100 of them? If it is so simple, why can't GM do it?

If GM can't do it for some technical reason - what anti-physics magic does MallettCars have that allows them to do it? Or, more likely, what sacrifices are the Malletts doing that GM could not in good conscience allow? (like, do I have to pull the engine to get at the spark plugs?)

I think you can see why I'm somewhat skeptical. In fact, reading much of the fastlane blogs, commentary by GM, etc., the only real indication that MalletCars is working with GM is only coming form you, Delnari.

I don't like being "snowed", nor do I like misrepresentation. If MalletCars is working with GM, they should state it, proudly, on their website: "Mallet Cars is working with GM to offer the ...."

I have no doubt that at some time, the Malletts will have an LS2 kappa - someone, come #ell or highwater, will find a way to get the LS# into one (or a host of other higher powered engines) - it just doesn't make sense that GM would go outside to do something that I'd bet every technician and advanced development garage INSIDE GM is chomping at the bit to do....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts