Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
The one in my car is damaged from overheating so I can attest to this too. (This was from inflating tires with the included air compressor...)
It just happened to me....what should I do? The fuse is still good although I replaced the existing one. I helped my neighbor...using our compressor. Did not use it for 14 yrs and this happened. No good deed goes unpunished. UGH! What did u do Robo? Called BOB but he did not answer. Left a voice mail.

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
It just happened to me....what should I do? The fuse is still good although I replaced the existing one. I helped my neighbor...using our compressor. Did not use it for 14 yrs and this happened. No good deed goes unpunished. UGH! What did u do Robo? Called BOB but he did not answer. Left a voice mail.
Never fixed it and still busted.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Never fixed it and still busted.
If u know....what is the fix. Taking apart the dash is no big deal if needed. Why didn't u fix yours? I know it cannot be the BCM....already been there. There is no fuse that covers the Accessory.

Just did my due diligence on UTUBE...although it is a Toyota Camry...it is applicable to us. I already ordered my new receptacle. Hope I can access through the glove box instead of taking apart the dash...would make it easier...either way, no big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SphvH4Kno

·
Super Moderator
5,089 Posts
So if I refer back to Post #14 , does this mean that you are full of hot air? Makes me wonder.

If u know....what is the fix. Taking apart the dash is no big deal if needed. Why didn't u fix yours? I know it cannot be the BCM....already been there. There is no fuse that covers the Accessory.

Just did my due diligence on UTUBE...although it is a Toyota Camry...it is applicable to us. I already ordered my new receptacle. Hope I can access through the glove box instead of taking apart the dash...would make it easier...either way, no big deal.

Mike,

The fuse is #30 in the Underhood Fuse Block (labeled "Outlet", so I would check that first.

If the outlet is damaged it will be visibly melted inside.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
So if I refer back to Post #14 , does this mean that you are full of hot air? Makes me wonder.

Mike,

The fuse is #30 in the Underhood Fuse Block (labeled "Outlet", so I would check that first.

If the outlet is damaged it will be visibly melted inside.
Been there...done that. As noted, I even changed the fuse. If u looked at the Video,,,,that is what happened. It is a safety that is built into the receptacle. If the load is too great, the heat causes the contacts to break.

·
Premium Member
5,124 Posts
Mike just saw this. I missed your call. Sorry. Will give you a call tomorrow, as figure it is too late tonight. Not sure I can answer your questions though.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Mike just saw this. I missed your call. Sorry. Will give you a call tomorrow, as figure it is too late tonight. Not sure I can answer your questions though.
If u read the last 3 posts...and viewed the video....I do have the answer. Waiting for Amazon to deliver the receptacle....but we will talk.

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts

The only thing I used it for was inflating tires after autocross. Since this does away with any load protection and is not recommended to use it for tire inflation like that, no point in fixing it. :D I have other ways to charge things like my phone.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
The only thing I used it for was inflating tires after autocross. Since this does away with any load protection and is not recommended to use it for tire inflation like that, no point in fixing it. :D I have other ways to charge things like my phone.
I have a quick question...this is for anyone. Can I just remove the glove compartment to access the receptacle or do I need to remove the entire right side of the dash. Either way, it is no problem for me...just makes it a quicker install if it is the glove box only.

I know there is a way to remove the cigarette lighter only by pushing in 2 tabs but that may be a problem. Never attempted it.

·
Super Moderator
5,089 Posts
My impression from having mine apart is that you can put one in with the panel in place, but you can't get it out. In any case, removing the glove box is a step in removing the panel, so it is easy enough to try it without losing anything if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
My impression from having mine apart is that you can put one in with the panel in place, but you can't get it out. In any case, removing the glove box is a step in removing the panel, so it is easy enough to try it without losing anything if it doesn't work.
U R Correct...not afraid of doing either....

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
There's a tool for that! https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-65461-56457.aspx

Looks simple - you could probably make your own from a piece of scrap.

I saw that tool...that stupid thing went for 13 dollars...I paid just under 9 dollars for the 2 pieces I needed for this repair. I have some other instrument I will attempt to do this...if all else fails...just a few screws and either the glove box comes out for access or I will remove the right part of the dash. Thanks everyone for listening to my whining. :grin:

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Changed the cigarette lighter and all is working again. You did need to take the right side of the dash off. Glove compartment is definitely connected. The UTUBE instructions were incorrect, at least for me. I pried the rubber
behind the lighter and gently the tabs from inside the lighter collapsed and I was able to remove the lighter.

WARNING! Do not use your air compressor in your accessory/cigarette unit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
All my fuses were okay. I bought the Dorman replacement light but the tool grabs off of the 2 square notches on the side of the replacement. The stock Sky lighter does NOT have these square holes? Looks like I have to remove part of the dash then?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts