Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clay, Polish, and a Wax:

I had read up on the "claying" of a new car and thought very little of it. We picked up our Chili Pepper Red Sky on Saturday and I loved the slick feeling of the hood as I ran my fingers over it on the way to the cockpit. That's when I remembered about using a plastic zip lock bag to run your fingers over the car so you can feel the dirt/junk that has collected on the car since leaving the factory. Well, I got home and grabbed a bag, put my hand in it and ran it over the car again...WOW! The car finish felt really bumpy and ruff. I went to the car parts store and bought the clay kit along with the sealer and synthetic wax. What a difference! Smooth as silk. When you get your Sky, you really need to give the bag test to your new baby- you will be surprised.

Edited to add web site:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6637

this is where I found the information on the cleaning of the car.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
this is a must do..

I finally found the time to clay my sky. I can't even describe the difference it makes. If (like kustomcaps mentioned) you run your fingers over your paint, it feels smooth, right? well, run out and by the clay bar kit, wax and sealant. Come home, and try a small area with the clay bar following the directions.

now run your fingers over it... it will be like glass!!! I clayed my entire sky this morning and I can actually see myself in the paint.. much better than before clay. I still need to seal it. I did seal and wax a small area just to see if it would improve upon the claying and sure enough... it did.

If silver pearl showed this kind of improvement.. the darker colors should be like night and day.

Has anyone else beside Kustomcaps and myself done the clay work?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Guys this is sounding erotic -- and you know how I feel about my Sunni1:D

I actually read a LOT about claying and intend on doing it -- but here I plan to put Sunni1 away for the harsh winter -- so I plan to clay in the Fall....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Does the clay work for overspray? My present car has a nice black paint job, until I went through road construction. Is this something I can do or do you have to be vested with special car knowledge to do it? My thinking is, I can try it on my Taurus, and then I will be practiced for the Sky. If you think I should stay away from it, can I pay one of you guys to clay my Sky when it gets here? :lol: :lol: :lol: No way?:lol:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
skywulf said:
Does the clay work for overspray? My present car has a nice black paint job, until I went through road construction. Is this something I can do or do you have to be vested with special car knowledge to do it? My thinking is, I can try it on my Taurus, and then I will be practiced for the Sky. If you think I should stay away from it, can I pay one of you guys to clay my Sky when it gets here? :lol: :lol: :lol: No way?:lol:
O YEAH.....definitely going to use this clay kit on my Black Onyx....:yesnod:
and definitely going to use a leather protector on my red leather trim, to protect from the sun's rays....
o yeah and definitely going to use tire gel for the tires......as soon as I get my SKY...:willy:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
skywulf said:
from reading the numerous threads over at the sol forum, yes it does remove overspray. apparently, very easily too!

If you can wax your car, you can clay it. be sure to read thru the thread that kustomcaps posted above and maybe do a search on the sol forum and learn up on claying so that you feel more comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
RMFNSKY said:
? will claying hurt the staying power of a clear bra. I'm planning on getting a clear bra put on but not sure if claying the car will affect it?:confused:
I would think you would want to clay and seal before putting on the clearbra, to insure you have perfectly clean paint underneat it.

Will it make the bra fall off faster (lets hope so, oops, wrong forum) :jester:

my opinion---
I would think it would stick better as it will have a much smother surface to adhere to. I would ask the clear bra installer to be sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
zaino bros has a clay bar, as well as all the exc sealants they offer for cars.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Be VERY careful using claybar, it does take a very thin layer of paint or clearcoat with each use. This is not something you want to do all the time, just once in a great while. It's exc. for getting off overspray. Also, careful as well as you can scratch your with the clay bar.

Here's a very good link on use of a claybar as well:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SGCWC&Store_Code=Z

Chris

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
usmc said:
I would think you would want to clay and seal before putting on the clearbra, to insure you have perfectly clean paint underneat it.

Will it make the bra fall off faster (lets hope so, oops, wrong forum) :jester:

my opinion---
I would think it would stick better as it will have a much smother surface to adhere to. I would ask the clear bra installer to be sure.
Yeah, talking about what makes the bra come off faster is probably not about a finish on a car...:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make the bra's come off!

skywulf said:
Yeah, talking about what makes the bra come off faster is probably not about a finish on a car...:lol: :lol: :lol:
If I wasn't married, I am sure the bra's would come just for owning a SKY. It is such a masculine and macho car......a real chick magnet. At least my wife thinks so......:lol:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Oh, okay, forgive me in advance....
TOPLESS with the top down! In a shiny car...(let's stay on topic here)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Clay is AWESOME!!!

OH MY GOSH :willy: I decided to clay my oldest car and see if all this "claying" was b.s. or what. I cannot beleive how smooth the finish is now :D I am a Mothers fan typically but they only had Meguires clay at my local auto place (small town) so I decided to give it a try. I am fascinated by the difference. Plus it is actually easy to do.

Okay guys - go out and buy you some clay bars and get after it. I will have a fresh kit ready and waiting for my redline when it gets here. :thumbs:

·
Registered
277 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
OH MY GOSH :willy: I decided to clay my oldest car and see if all this "claying" was b.s. or what. I cannot beleive how smooth the finish is now :D I am a Mothers fan typically but they only had Meguires clay at my local auto place (small town) so I decided to give it a try. I am fascinated by the difference. Plus it is actually easy to do.

Okay guys - go out and buy you some clay bars and get after it. I will have a fresh kit ready and waiting for my redline when it gets here. :thumbs:
And like I said it is sooooooo damn awesome! Gary at Perfect Auto Finish can hook ya'll up! PM me for details!
See http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16280 for results!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The clay bar is the way to go, my husband uses on his "VIPER'S", it work GREAT :thumbs:

·
Registered
192 Posts
FYI......The Solstice Forum has a supporting vendor that is a detailing guru. I am surprized that he is not on here too. I won't mention the name but if you check in on the Sol site you will find him. He has complete kits of products to do what ever you want.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow...what a great and informative thread!!!!:thumbs: I am a total newbie when it comes to detailing cars. I've always just gone to the local carwash and paid the guys to take care of it.

Couple of questions...

How often should someone "clay"
How often should the car be waxed?

I understand that it'll vary with weather the car experiences...just assume the weather is for Southern California.

·
Registered
89 Posts
akinmb, I only clay my cars once or twice a year, at most. Waxing is another matter...I probably overdo it, about every three months. Hey, the sun is brutal here! :D

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Best Thing you Can Do For Your Car

O yea, claying rocks!! Just remember that claying removes ALL contaminants from your paint (including any old wax etc).. First you bathe your car, then you clay, they recommend bathing again, dry with a high quality chamois, then polish, then seal. It is a long process but boy is it worth it!! I also use Cobra Towels, (wish I would of invented them), I would be a rich man--:lol:

Once you do the process, if done properly & with TLC, the job will last approx 5-6 months (using what I use) depending on where you live. I live in Florida and my last job on my Yellow H2 lasted 5 amazing months, incredible!. Once done the vehicle will knock your eyes out, just amazing. You will be able to tell when you need to re-do when you "see" water no longer beads. I have been using this stuff for 2 years on my H2 Hummer, mind ya on that vehicle it takes me ALL day, roof is the hardest part, (obviously) have to use a ladder. The fact that I only need to do this twice a year really attracts me.

I can't wait to do my MidniteBlue Sky. I was going to do it this weekend, but since I am taking my baby into the shop Monday, I'll do it next weekend. Compared to the H2 it should be a cake walk :D , 2-maybe 3 hours the most, depending on how many beer breaks I take and how hot it is.

Here is where I get ALL my car cleaning stuff, they are very very good and ship stuff right away. For example I ordered some stuff on the 17th, and got my stuff on the 18th, amazing. http://www.autogeek.net/ By the way I am partial to Wolfgang's Stuff, awesome, but they sell just about ALL the high end quality stuff. When you go there, you' ll probably spend hours there looking at all the stuff, reading and which way you would want to go. They have a lot of "how to" Good Luck!! If any of you have any questions fire away! I have been doing this process now for couple of years, so I do feel I have "a little" knowledge, but all I know I learned at autogeeks site. Go there and you will know what I know.:cheers:

By the way, I DO NOT work for those guys, I just by my stuff there--:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts