Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
meguiars smooth surface ..bars are white...read somewhere "clay has color codes " for abrasiveness.... wonder how abrasive this is ??
thought of abrasive makes me cringe.....car is already beautiful.... which clay is LEAST abrasive ? ... i'm about to chicken out
anything i need to know before i try this...also quik detailer and cleaner wax came in box - nothing labeled clay lube..... detailer spray same as lube...or just use soapy water ??? and save the detailer spray...
which would have better RESULT or does it matter..... i've read soapy water will cause clay to degrade faster but doubt i want LONG life outta clay... figure if its dirty trash it......... kinda glad this one is white - i'll be able to see if it picks up anything........ anyone used it yet ??

·
Registered
804 Posts
zzzybil said:
meguiars smooth surface ..bars are white...read somewhere "clay has color codes " for abrasiveness.... wonder how abrasive this is ??
thought of abrasive makes me cringe.....car is already beautiful.... which clay is LEAST abrasive ? ... i'm about to chicken out
anything i need to know before i try this...also quik detailer and cleaner wax came in box - nothing labeled clay lube..... detailer spray same as lube...or just use soapy water ??? and save the detailer spray...
which would have better RESULT or does it matter..... i've read soapy water will cause clay to degrade faster but doubt i want LONG life outta clay... figure if its dirty trash it......... kinda glad this one is white - i'll be able to see if it picks up anything........ anyone used it yet ??
Just use the meguiars brand. It comes with two bars and the detailing spray. Works wonderful. To see if your car needs it, simply get a zip lock sandwich bag, put your hand in it and run your fingers over the surface of the car. You will feel all kinds of bumps. That is what the clay takes off. The clay is actually like a hard silly putty to the feel. Very simple to use, just spray a section with the detailing spray, and wipe back and forth with the clay. When you are done, you will be very surprised at how much more the color and shine comes out on the car. I did the towel test after by taking a clean terry cloth and dropping it on the hood after I finished claying...the towel slid off the front of the car. Remember, I DROPPED the towel, I didn't throw it.
Claying is very easy and gives a wonderful effect for the car. Remember to use a synthetic wax when your done to seal the car too. There is a 'next step' between the clay and the wax if you want, just look up the products at the store. USE SYNTHETIC WAX, as it is clear even when dry...unlike actual wax which is slightly opaque.

·
Registered
248 Posts
iM NOT SURE CLAYING YOUR CAR IS EVEN NECESSARY. THE CLAY TAKES OFF PARTICLES STUCK TO THE PAINT THAT DONT COME OFF FROM A WASHING. THOSE PARTICLES ACCUMILATE OVER TIME. A BRAND NEW CAR WITH A NEW PAINT AND HARDLY ANY TIME EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS MOST LIKELY WILL NOT NEED IT. A GOOD CLEANING AND WAXING WILL DO WONDERS FOR THE LONGEVITY OF YOUR SHINE. ALSO BE CAREFUL WHEN CLEANING BECAUSE DUST AND DIRT WHEN WIPED OFF THE PAINT CAN SCRATCH IT. BE GENTLE OR BY A SPEED SHINE THAT HAS LUBRICANTS THAT MOISTEN THE DIRT AND LUBRICATE SO IT DOESNT SCRATCH YOUR PAINT. MY 10 YEAR OLD 4 RUNNER STILL GETS COMMENTS LIKE WOW LOOKS NEWER THAN A 96.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
i would say a GOOD WASHING AND WAXING...... and get her all shined up...... would be the orders of the day........ i know that is what i need to do.... today.. since she hasnt had a bath and is getting new accessories today........ cant wait to post pics...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
migg750 said:
iM NOT SURE CLAYING YOUR CAR IS EVEN NECESSARY. THE CLAY TAKES OFF PARTICLES STUCK TO THE PAINT THAT DONT COME OFF FROM A WASHING. THOSE PARTICLES ACCUMILATE OVER TIME. A BRAND NEW CAR WITH A NEW PAINT AND HARDLY ANY TIME EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS MOST LIKELY WILL NOT NEED IT. A GOOD CLEANING AND WAXING WILL DO WONDERS FOR THE LONGEVITY OF YOUR SHINE. ALSO BE CAREFUL WHEN CLEANING BECAUSE DUST AND DIRT WHEN WIPED OFF THE PAINT CAN SCRATCH IT. BE GENTLE OR BY A SPEED SHINE THAT HAS LUBRICANTS THAT MOISTEN THE DIRT AND LUBRICATE SO IT DOESNT SCRATCH YOUR PAINT. MY 10 YEAR OLD 4 RUNNER STILL GETS COMMENTS LIKE WOW LOOKS NEWER THAN A 96.
If it is shipped by train isn't it possible it might need clay ?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
From what little I know but with info from a LOT of reading, for me I think claying might be a once a year kind of thing. I plan to not clay Sunni until October or so -- before she gets her winter's rest....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
From what little I know but with info from a LOT of reading, for me I think claying might be a once a year kind of thing. I plan to not clay Sunni until October or so -- before she gets her winter's rest....
'Bout right but whatever you do with the clay bar, don't ever drop it on the ground. If you do just toss it in the trash as you will never ever get the swirls out of the paint if you use it again (even if you think you have it clean).

·
Registered
138 Posts
clay it. use the plastic bag test as kustomkaps says. you will be amazed. you will not believe the difference. always clay all my new vehicles. soap works as good as the spay you buy. after use a good quality wax. my favorite is "harly wax". i live in canada, but have it sent from california:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I use Harly wax on mine, too. Great stuff. Pure 100% Carnauba Palm Oil, nothing else. No cleaners, no perfumes, no abrasives, just pure wax.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I used the Meguires clay bar on our oldest vehicle to see how it worked. Way to chicken to start out on something new. WOW is all I can say! You can definately tell a difference. I used the detailer spray like it said on the box. The paint is MUCH smoother. I plan on claying my Sky RL when she comes in. I hear the train ride is hard on the paint.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Claying your new car is a must to remove all the rail dust from shipping. Meguire's white clay is fine grade. Clay magic is blue and is fine grade. Ultra-fine clays I have seen are grey/white or green. Both are perfect for a brand new car. If the car is 2-3 years or older, than medium grade may be necessary. There is only 1 Japanese company that makes the clay so it's almost all the same from brand to brand. Quick detailing spray can be used as clay lube. After you clay a small area you just wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Much quicker and easier. If you use soapy water for your lube you need to wash the car again. Takes more time. Just keep the surface well-lubed, don't press hard with the clay, and you won't scratch your car. You only need to clay once a year, but many car enthusiests want to clay every month so that's when they developed the ultra-fine.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
definately a must.

I clayed mine a couple of weeks ago and it made a world of difference. I can't explain the difference. If your skeptical.. test it out on your significant others grocery getter before using it on your sky. you'll see.

also check out the sol forum. There is tons of info over ther about how to detail your new sky/sol.

·
Registered
802 Posts
usmc said:
definately a must.

I clayed mine a couple of weeks ago and it made a world of difference. I can't explain the difference. If your skeptical.. test it out on your significant others grocery getter before using it on your sky. you'll see.

also check out the sol forum. There is tons of info over ther about how to detail your new sky/sol.
I think from my experience that you end up with the "wet look" after claying and polishing. I use Zaino Bros. but I am sure all of them are about the same when claying.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i clayed mine and used the turtle wax ICE the new synthetic stuff.. it is awsome stuff!! car came out great !!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I clayed mine yesterday, then 2 coats of Meguires Tech wax with a RO Buffer...

WOW!!!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Now this is the kinda post I come to this site for! I've owned two new cars and I've never done much with them. My Sky has to be different. GREAT POST!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
:agree:
rick112 said:
Now this is the kinda post I come to this site for! I've owned two new cars and I've never done much with them. My Sky has to be different. GREAT POST!
:agree: I'm going to have to give it a try, maybe the wifes Equinox first

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
zzzybil said:
thought of abrasive makes me cringe.....
Abrasive is what makes clay work for cleaning. Clay is nothing but very very fine grain mud.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Car Care

Hey guys,
Go to ---

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Its a pretty good section on the Solstice forum.
I had my SKY detailed by Gary Kouba, Owner Perfect Auto Finish and it really makes a big difference to have a pro do you car the first time.
He let me watch the complete process so it would be easier for me to continue on my own.
Check out the forum link.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts