Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since we help poisenskyvy with her bird doo-doo problem I was coming on to ask what you guy/gals use to clean your glass on the car. I found 2 products, one is DP High Performance Glass Restorer for 20 bucks and the other Diamondite® Glass Cleaning System Kit for 30 bucks on sale. My goal here is to get rid of the what I guess you call them "water spots" & markings (grease marks) on the glass, (specially front wind shield) that the car glass cleaners I am using is not removing (not even windex). I even tried "an old FHP trick" which was to poor a can of coca-cola to remove bugs and guts, that did not do it. I have these "water spots" or "mineral deposits" on just about all my vehicles from rain and just plain water--What are you guys using to "really clean & restore" your glass, and get rid of these "spots"& marks" that are starting to reeeaaallly annoy me--I'm getting ready to try this DP stuff--:confused: What yawl think?

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
I have real hard water where I am and it leaves nasty spots that even windex wont touch. But...when i wash the car now i scrub the windows and rinse them immediately. I then dry and windex right away. I havent seen a water spot since. Water spots form on glass pretty quick but if you clean, rinse, and dry quickly it shouldn't be a problem. My friends has a body shop and they use triple 0 steel wool to clean windows and it works great. I don't go that far myself as i just havent had the need.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have real hard water where I am and it leaves nasty spots that even windex wont touch. But...when i wash the car now i scrub the windows and rinse them immediately. I then dry and windex right away. I havent seen a water spot since. Water spots form on glass pretty quick but if you clean, rinse, and dry quickly it shouldn't be a problem. My friends has a body shop and they use triple 0 steel wool to clean windows and it works great. I don't go that far myself as i just havent had the need.
WOW, well windex with ammonia I will not use, and unfortunately that didn't do it(anyways being careful to keep it off the palstic & rubber)-So ima shopping, I think I'll order those products and see which one works--I'll keep yawl posted--Unless i hear --I'll try the DP stuff first--:thumbs:

·
1,012 Posts
For christmas im buying myself the CR Spotless water system. It's great. I've met a lot of viper owners in the area who use it. It's basically a water filtration system on a cart that you just hook your hose too. It's garunteed to not leave 1 spot on your car. Dry in the sun, minimizing swirl marks from drying the car down with even a microfiber.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh I agree my friend, that sorta takes care of it while you bath her--But down here in Florida not only is our water hard so is the RAIN--The problem I'm seeing is just not from the hard water, i think 95% is from the rain water--and the crap from the roads when you travel on the wet roads that spray onto your car, know what I mean?--oil (from the clunkers) dirt (from the dump trucks) deisel, smog, rubber, etc etc etc--

·
1,012 Posts
I agree 100% with the rain. It leaves a white residue sometimes. Especially this time of the year here with wet leaves laying on the car. How salty is the rain in florida? I gotta admit i wouldnt have alot of the dirt problems if i put the cover on or parked it under the car port every night. But i get home late sometimes and im just a bit too lazy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rain is not salty at all really down here, you can't taste it per say, heck my salt water pool is much saltier and its 4200PPM if you will (about as salty as a tear drop)--Naw its in the air and off the roads--thats where the damage, garbage and spots are comnig from--I'll let you know how well this DP product works, if it don't do it, I'll get the $30 "KIT" see what happens. All I know is, I want my glass "clean" no spots--:nono:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I use Nanowax and wipe it off with a microfiber towel. Seems to give the car a good shine and the water beads up great. While doing this I wipe the windshield and windows with the microfiber towel still damp with Nanowax. Most of the time you don't even have to use the windshield wipers. Rain just rolls off.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Rain is not salty at all really down here, you can't taste it per say, heck my salt water pool is much saltier and its 4200PPM if you will (about as salty as a tear drop)--Naw its in the air and off the roads--thats where the damage, garbage and spots are comnig from--I'll let you know how well this DP product works, if it don't do it, I'll get the $30 "KIT" see what happens. All I know is, I want my glass "clean" no spots--:nono:
Have you tried applying RainX after cleaning your windows? Don't get the RainX that says "Windshield Wax" on the bottle. It sucks. Get the "Original" polymer Glass Treatment. It puts a polymer film on your window that will last for a couple of months, at least. Water runs right off. You don't even need to use your wipers in the rain as the airflow blows the water right off your windshield. Not much sticks to it.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Nanowax and wipe it off with a microfiber towel. Seems to give the car a good shine and the water beads up great. While doing this I wipe the windshield and windows with the microfiber towel still damp with Nanowax. Most of the time you don't even have to use the windshield wipers. Rain just rolls off.
Yes but does it remove (embedded contaminants from glass, as well as mineral deposits), does it remove, (Water spots are mineral deposits that have etched their way into the paint & glass and they can be very tough to remove. When a drop of water evaporates, all the minerals contained in that water remain on the paint & glass. Etching is a gradual process, but those little spots will accumulate before you know it. The best way to avoid them is to dry your vehicle each and every time it gets wet.) <<<Can you imagine?:banghead: (If that sounds too ambitious, at least dry it after washing and after a rain.) <<yea right (If it’s already too late, here are some tips for removing those cloudy spots.) What you see in () I copied and pasted here. Sometimes the only time you see these "marks is at night, OR after the accumulation has already occured--you can't miss it, when you see it, u know what i mean-:lol: :lol: :cheers: :cool: :willy:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you tried applying RainX after cleaning your windows? Don't get the RainX that says "Windshield Wax" on the bottle. It sucks. Get the "Original" polymer Glass Treatment. It puts a polymer film on your window that will last for a couple of months, at least. Water runs right off. You don't even need to use your wipers in the rain as the airflow blows the water right off your windshield. Not much sticks to it.
Yes I have, but all it does is make your wipers "stick" & "skip" if you decide to use them--don't like that product and it does NOT clean or restore the glass (as you know)--That stuff might be ok for the "inside" of the glass, but I'll never use it again on the outside--:nono:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I clean the windows with alceehole an then I drinks sum an then I use Micropel which I used on copy machine exposure glass to get rid of fine scratches on tha glass. Works better than rain-x original formula and I don't have to use my wipers any...Skip...Alcehole does wonders for cleaning glass and vineger and water does too. Just don't be agettin it on your finish..:glol: :glol: :glol:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I use the windex and like products. Here's the trick though...I don't spray it on the window, I spray it on the hand towel and then apply it to the windows. No streaks, no hard water spots etc. I don't get it on the paint nor the top.
Learned this from my San Diego Mustang Club members years ago. Works great!
Rule: Do NOT leave wash water sitting on your windows, there's no such thing as "soft water".:nono:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

Pitcom instead of the windex try what they call Invesible glass, you can buy it at Walmart in the car section. It's great. I got everyone using it even my cleaning lady. Never streaks not even with one cleaning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pitcom instead of the windex try what they call Invesible glass, you can buy it at Walmart in the car section. It's great. I got everyone using it even my cleaning lady. Never streaks not even with one cleaning.

:agree: :agree: :agree:
I have experimented with them all.....and "Invisible Glass" is the BEST! :thumbs:
Like Deluke said, it's available at your local Walmart for around four bucks a bottle -- you won't be disappointed!!:)

·
Administrator
6,898 Posts
I use Windex, followed by RainX. Once a week.

·
Registered
426 Posts
use stoners invisible glass with news paper. Thats the best solution out there

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
That's what I use Invisible Glass!!! Is REALLY good!!! :party:

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've never heard of the Invisible Glass stuff. I think I'm gonna have to try it. I got some horrible spots on my windshield from some spritzing rain.

·
Registered
354 Posts
another vote for Invisible Glass , great stuff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts