Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are developing an under-hood turbo kit for the Sky and Solstice.

Custom header with 4 into 1 merge collector.
3" down-pipe that bolts to stock catalytic converter, with optional hi-flow.
Dual ball bearing turbo with machined turbine outlet for V-band flange.
Sexyier appearance with refined turbo mounting and routing of exhaust, intercooler and intake tubing, as compared to other kits released with a log style turbo manifold.
Larger fuel injectors.
Custom tuning.
Larger, more efficient S&B air filter.
Polished stainless steel charge pipes and intake with optional ceramic coating.
Plus anything I may have forgotten.
Target cost of 3750.00 plus shipping.
Drop the merge collector for a standard 4 into 1 collector and save $300.00.

That would be $3450.00 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Devil Dog said:
We are developing an under-hood turbo kit for the Sky and Solstice.

Custom header with 4 into 1 merge collector.
3" down-pipe that bolts to stock catalytic converter, with optional hi-flow.
Dual ball bearing turbo with machined turbine outlet for V-band flange.
Sexyier appearance with refined turbo mounting and routing of exhaust, intercooler and intake tubing, as compared to other kits released with a log style turbo manifold.
Larger fuel injectors.
Custom tuning.
Larger, more efficient S&B air filter.
Polished stainless steel charge pipes and intake with optional ceramic coating.
Plus anything I may have forgotten.
Target cost of 3750.00 plus shipping.
Drop the merge collector for a standard 4 into 1 collector and save $300.00.

That would be $3450.00 plus shipping.

I have swapped engines, replaced clutched and transmissions, converted manauals to automatics, and shoehorned a 350/700R4 into a Jeep wrangler, so how much trouble will I have with this install?:confused:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Devil Dog said:
We are developing an under-hood turbo kit for the Sky and Solstice._________________
Any pictures yet? at least for Solstice..too soon for Sky

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are waiting for the turbo and blow-off valve then development will begin.

If you have done ecerything above you will probably be able to install the kit with your eyes closed.

The kit for the Solstice will fir the Sky the same way. No differences under the hood. Pictures will be posted as soon as there is something to take pictures of. :)

Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! Glad to hear it. We are going to try and get a 3D rendering of the installed kit done and posted so you can all see what we have in mind.

Parts are on the way so fabrication should begin soon.
Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Devil Dog said:
We are waiting for the turbo and blow-off valve then development will begin.

If you have done ecerything above you will probably be able to install the kit with your eyes closed.

The kit for the Solstice will fir the Sky the same way. No differences under the hood. Pictures will be posted as soon as there is something to take pictures of. :)

Thanks for the interest.
That and more, I began helping my father replace plugs, points, condensors, set timing, change oil, etc, when I was 10 or 11 and that was more years ago than I care to mention. The fact that it was points ignition should give you some idea. I have been a gear head for years, and love to turn a wrench. The instructions you had on the header install on the Sol made it simpe enough for anyone who knew what a wrench was. If you use the same type of instructions for the turbo, it should be a snap.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
azote said:
interested here too.... ;)
but probably will have to drive to install it with you TexSon
What part of LA? I am in San Antone so you have at least a days drive. Make sure to bring some mudbugs!:cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
FReaK said:
What turbo will you be using?? (T3/T4, trim etc....)
We will be putting out a very high quality system, ( water cooled dual ball bearing turbo- gt28rs) this will spool up to 15% quicker then a journal bearing turbo, plus it has a longer life span then a journal bearing turbo. You can literally blow on this turbo and the turbine fins start to spin!
We will be doing a tubular manifold with an option of a merge collector instead of a log style manifold, (yes they work, but are not as efficient)
This is going to be a very well done turbo kit with high quality parts and fabrication skills!
Stay tuned as development work is starting as soon as parts start to show up! :willy:
A couple of pictures to show what we are capable of.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FReaK said:
Thats the "disco potato" no???

good to like 375hp......
Yes, that is another name for it., and also rated @ that hp level, though we are not looking to push the stock motor to that point. We are looking to go safely @ 250 -275 RWHP @ 8-9 pis. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Devil Dog said:
merge collector for a standard 4 into 1 collector
Devil Dog, or TCASON, you have each mentioned the merge collector. I am not an exhaust expert, so not sure what the difference is between the merge, log, and 4 into 1.:confused: I know cast iron manifolds and headers, but you just taxed my lexicon.:eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
TexSon said:
Devil Dog, or TCASON, you have each mentioned the merge collector. I am not an exhaust expert, so not sure what the difference is between the merge, log, and 4 into 1.:confused: I know cast iron manifolds and headers, but you just taxed my lexicon.:eek:
In general 4-1 headers with equal length will allow the exhaust to flow more freely out of the exhaust ports. If setup correctly there will be an actual drawing effect which suctions the exhaust out of the cylinders and reducing or completely eliminating the collision of exhaust gasses between cylinders.

Or you can just say more HP, less spool time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
TCASON said:
We will be putting out a very high quality system, ( water cooled dual ball bearing turbo- gt28rs) this will spool up to 15% quicker then a journal bearing turbo, plus it has a longer life span then a journal bearing turbo. You can literally blow on this turbo and the turbine fins start to spin!
We will be doing a tubular manifold with an option of a merge collector instead of a log style manifold, (yes they work, but are not as efficient)
This is going to be a very well done turbo kit with high quality parts and fabrication skills!
Stay tuned as development work is starting as soon as parts start to show up! :willy:
A couple of pictures to show what we are capable of.
[/IMG]
Ok, I have only 1 thing to say.. Are you Kidding me??!!??!!?

This is actually what you are going to sell to the public to be installed on a factory shortblock? Don't get me wrong.. If i were to buy a kit I would absolutely buy this kit. But your general market for this car is 40+ yr old guys, who want a streetable car. The 3" intake piping will cause turbo lag like no-body's business. I had only 2.75" piping on my SCCA 523whp eclipse, and that had a degree of turbo lag.. Might just wanna concider 2.5" tubing...

·
Registered
65 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Ok, I have only 1 thing to say.. Are you Kidding me??!!??!!?

This is actually what you are going to sell to the public to be installed on a factory shortblock? Don't get me wrong.. If i were to buy a kit I would absolutely buy this kit. But your general market for this car is 40+ yr old guys, who want a streetable car. The 3" intake piping will cause turbo lag like no-body's business. I had only 2.75" piping on my SCCA 523whp eclipse, and that had a degree of turbo lag.. Might just wanna concider 2.5" tubing...
Not sure where you saw or read 3" intake, or did you mean 3" exhaust.
We will try both a 3" and 2.5" exhaust on our first prototype kit. I know what can happen to a turbo with too big of an exhaust.
I spent @ $7,000 in R&D, dyno time proving to the Audi 225TT crowd that a 2.5" dp worked better then a 3" dp, only to have people not believe there own eye's with dyno charts.
We are looking to keep this a very street-able car, with quick spool up, not a big hit later in the RPM's. :thumbs:

·
Registered
72 Posts
TCASON said:
Not sure where you saw or read 3" intake, or did you mean 3" exhaust.
We will try both a 3" and 2.5" exhaust on our first prototype kit. I know what can happen to a turbo with too big of an exhaust.
I spent @ $7,000 in R&D, dyno time proving to the Audi 225TT crowd that a 2.5" dp worked better then a 3" dp, only to have people not believe there own eye's with dyno charts.
We are looking to keep this a very street-able car, with quick spool up, not a big hit later in the RPM's. :thumbs:
You guys who have experience with all this technical stuff are awesome!
I have trouble working a yo-yo.......:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Carnut said:
You guys who have experience with all this technical stuff are awesome!
I have trouble working a yo-yo.......:D
Like I told another person on the Solstice forum, you will learn more about your car and how to do a lot of the mod work your self depending on what you are willing to try then you ever thought possible if you keep reading the threads! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
wakebord99 said:
In general 4-1 headers with equal length will allow the exhaust to flow more freely out of the exhaust ports. If setup correctly there will be an actual drawing effect which suctions the exhaust out of the cylinders and reducing or completely eliminating the collision of exhaust gasses between cylinders.

Or you can just say more HP, less spool time.
I know that, but still does not answer the question about merge vice log vice 4 into 1. I thought a merge was 4 into 1 and not sure what a log is.:confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts