Saturn Sky Forum banner

Climate Control, Cold Is Great Cold, But Hardly Any Adjustment to Warm, Quickly Yields Hot Air.

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rjgramps 
#1 ·
I have been reading on the forum about the HVAC actuators requiring calibration after installation.

My Sky with 120,000 miles and 4 previous owners, I don't know if my climate control actuators were ever replaced, but I wonder if the air-temperature one needs calibration. When I ask for cold a/c air, I get cold air, very cold air as I would expect. If I leave the dial to the far left and turn off the a/c system, I get ambient air from the outside as I would expect. That is all very good, just right, no complaints.

BUT..............

When I turn the temperature dial toward the right to warm the incoming air a little, the temperature quickly gets hot. The adjustment is not linear. It goes from ambient air to hot air with a minor change in the position of the dial.

Is this normal for a Sky? Or do I need to calibrate the air-blending actuator.

Just to be clear, the air selection dial from Defrost to Floor to Vents and in between works great, no problem there.

#2 ·
There is a system calibration that has been described here several times. Basically you power the car without starting the engine, then press and hold two of the buttons to start the process. Sometimes you have to do it more than once.

#4 ·
I found it. I will try it.
--------------------------------

Actuator Calibration
When replacing an air temperature, mode, recirculation actuator or the HVAC control assembly, the following calibration process needs to be performed:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control assembly during self-calibration. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

1) Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

2) Turn the Temperature dial all the way to the right.

3) Turn the blower control dial all the way to the right.

4) Turn the mode position dial all the way to the left.

5) Simultaneously press and hold the A/C and Defrost buttons until the LED's start to flash.

6) Once the LED's stop flashing, calibration is complete.

#5 ·
Well, I went through the calibration process, it went exactly as described. I did not yet drive the car, but have the write-up in the glove box in case I have to do it a second time.

Before I started, I intentionally placed the controls in other positions so that I had to move them into the positions described in the calibration process. There was a lot of louver action heard during the process. I turned the ignition off after the process self-completed and everything was quiet for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.