Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Sky on 6/16 then went to Houston for the weekend. At a Houston Saturn dealership admiring a Sky in the showroom, a sales guy told me (and even demonstrated) that you have to close the driver and passenger doors to close the hood or else the hood will hit the edge of the door.

The demonstration he did on the demo made this apparent. Anyone run into this issue?

PS -- Can't wait for my SKY !!!!! Hopefully the first two weeks in August !!:thumbs:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes, it's true. When I picked mine up, it already had a paint chip from this very thing.

·
Registered
877 Posts
thats the way it was made......Solstice also.:confused:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Was told when I picked mine up to only close hood with doors shut.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Driver's side. There was a little chip missing from the hood and the door, so you could see exactly where they both touch.

Not sure if came from the factory like this or not, but the dealership was well aware of the issue.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
belletire said:
Driver's side. There was a little chip missing from the hood and the door, so you could see exactly where they both touch.

Not sure if came from the factory like this or not, but the dealership was well aware of the issue.
Thanks belletire...I deleted my post after I realized (DUH!) that the location of the paint chip on my door couldn't have possibly been caused by the hood coming in contact with it...as it is on the side edge when you open the door.

·
Registered
304 Posts
nscrbug said:
Thanks belletire...I deleted my post after I realized (DUH!) that the location of the paint chip on my door couldn't have possibly been caused by the hood coming in contact with it...as it is on the side edge when you open the door.
Thought I was losing my mind for a minute. :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If that is the case, that is totally stupid on the GM guys ! I mean that proves they put style over function. Do you know how many Sky/Sol owners will take their cars to get oil changes and this will happen. I am sure even at dealer services. None of the places will pay for it either since it is a bad design !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its designed that way all right...saw it with my own two eyes. :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Missy got chipped when I put her in for her first service. After they showed it too me they fixed it right away. Everyone has to get use to working around the new body style. It isn't really a design issue, the panels are designed to be close and curvy. So close your doors before you close your hood. Lesson learned. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm a firm beliver in reading the owners manual. Most of the questions on this forum could be answered if people would read it. However, I don't think this is pointed out in the owners manual. My salesperson pointed it out to me. If its in the book, someone please tell me where.

·
Super Moderator
11,486 Posts
Before people run off and start shouting at GM about this keep in mind this is VERY typical with first year cars. Hell, my GP is the same way as it too is a first year car. I'll be talking to someone about something on the GP and at least once per conversation the phrase "Oh wait, it's a 97, isn't it...well then forget that..." is used.

There is a price to be paid for being "first on the block" with a first year car. Perhaps in future model years they'll put a stop in the hood that won't let you close it with the doors open to fix this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
GaryH said:
I'm a firm beliver in reading the owners manual. Most of the questions on this forum could be answered if people would read it. However, I don't think this is pointed out in the owners manual. My salesperson pointed it out to me. If its in the book, someone please tell me where.
:agree: Read it, Nuff Said to the information found in the owners manual! Unfortunately it did not address this in the owners manual but it apparently has come out as an information bulletin for our service departments.

·
Registered
144 Posts
that is very true i work for saturn in houston you were probably at my dealorship.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Demo I saw was at Saturn North Houston.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Warning Sticker

Mine has a warning sticker under the hood which sez in effect "Warning: Close the doors before you close the hood"

·
Registered
388 Posts
bubbacc said:
Mine has a warning sticker under the hood which sez in effect "Warning: Close the doors before you close the hood"
The demos I have seen at the dealer had the same stickers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Louisiana Sky said:
I ordered my Sky on 6/16 then went to Houston for the weekend. At a Houston Saturn dealership admiring a Sky in the showroom, a sales guy told me (and even demonstrated) that you have to close the driver and passenger doors to close the hood or else the hood will hit the edge of the door.

The demonstration he did on the demo made this apparent. Anyone run into this issue?

PS -- Can't wait for my SKY !!!!! Hopefully the first two weeks in August !!:thumbs:
It's been known for a long time and most dealers will warn you when you receive the car, also there is a warning sticker on Left front fender just under the hood.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Louisiana Sky said:

:
Sorry...exact opposite...i always close the hood with the DOORS open on my SOL. This was posted on Sol fourm about a year ago. fit is so tight that you could get chips if contact is made with doors closed.

I have no chips and drop hood...then close doors
maybe somebody can dredge up that thread from long ago in the other forum

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Druid-2 said:
Sorry...exact opposite...i always close the hood with the DOORS open on my SOL. This was posted on Sol fourm about a year ago. fit is so tight that you could get chips if contact is made with doors closed.

I have no chips and drop hood...then close doors
maybe somebody can dredge up that thread from long ago in the other forum
from what we learned that problem has been fixed, the doors do need to be fully open or fully closed... when opening or closing the hood...
i keep my doors fully closed and have had no chips...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts