Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty confident the clutch is slipping on my '07 Sky RL with Trifecta tune. This occurs while in 3rd/4th/5th, haven't experienced it in first or second and if I disable the tune it doesn't slip. Easy to reproduce - defo the clutch. wondering if anyone has a line on a shop in San Diego that can do it for a fair price and competent job? And should I get the Waterpump done at the same time? timing chain?

'07 redline with 46K miles. tune is a year old.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think it's around 10 hours for doing the clutch, look into the ddm clutch kit. No reason to do the timing chain, it's not a belt. As for the water pump that's upto you, think it's another 6h for that or so.

I've been autocrossing with 315 wide Hoosiers for 10 years with a tune and the clutch never slipped so double check its actually that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's around 10 hours for doing the clutch, look into the ddm clutch kit. No reason to do the timing chain, it's not a belt. As for the water pump that's upto you, think it's another 6h for that or so.

I've been autocrossing with 315 wide Hoosiers for 10 years with a tune and the clutch never slipped so double check its actually that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Exactly the same happens with my Opel GT and EDS 320hp tune. If the tune is disabled everything is okay.

If I decided to change clutch, should I look for a reinforced one o going with a new OEM clutch would be enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly the same happens with my Opel GT and EDS 320hp tune. If the tune is disabled everything is okay.

If I decided to change clutch, should I look for a reinforced one o going with a new OEM clutch would be enough?
At 320hp I would recommend at least a Stage 1 or preferably Stage 2 spec clutch, I would not go OEM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i can't imagine what else it could be. its not the wheels spinning.
Definitely sounds like a worn clutch. Mine did the same thing on 3rd and 4th. Replaced it with a Spec Stage 2+. The OEM is a great clutch, can take plenty of abuse but once you get in the 300hp plus range it will eventually start to slip. If you drive it easy you'll probably get plenty more miles out of it but if you drive spirited like I do it won't last very much longer. I would upgrade when replacing.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
When I sold my car with 60K (miles) it had the original clutch and had the Trifecta tune for years. It was not slipping, and I often drove the car in anger.

Once you replace it, do not hold the car with the clutch on hills, and work on releasing the clutch more quickly. If you must, you are better to release the clutch too quickly than too slowly. The less time you spend in a position other than fully engaged, the better. If you're careful with the clutch it should last as long as the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I agree with the previous post - clutch slipping is likely the result of poor 'clutch habits'. I have a custom tune and big wheel turbo and zero clutch problems, but then I do not do burn outs and have always been easy on clutches.

Once they glaze, there is no fixing it except by replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I sold my car with 60K (miles) it had the original clutch and had the Trifecta tune for years. It was not slipping, and I often drove the car in anger.

Once you replace it, do not hold the car with the clutch on hills, and work on releasing the clutch more quickly. If you must, you are better to release the clutch too quickly than too slowly. The less time you spend in a position other than fully engaged, the better. If you're careful with the clutch it should last as long as the rest of the car.
Pretty much the same here. Running 23lbs constantly I got about 70k with the original clutch as well and like I mentioned in a previous post the OEM is a great clutch but after 70K it started to slip in 3rd and 4th. This only happened when I went into max boost while (No lift shifting). Otherwise it would have lasted probably another year or so. I now run 26-27lbs of boost so an upgrade was definitely in order.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Other than going into a higher gear
Than needed while coasting and ramming the gas pedal to see if the RPMs shoot up, how can you check to see if a clutch is low or slipping ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Other than going into a higher gear
Than needed while coasting and ramming the gas pedal to see if the RPMs shoot up, how can you check to see if a clutch is low or slipping ?
If it starts to slip while driving normally or if you can smell the clutch under normal driving, your clutch will most likely needs replacing. Also if you notice the clutch is releasing at the top of the pedal range it usually means the clutch is wearing out. This depends on the clutch though, some are designed to let off near the top. If you do replace the clutch I would install a new pilot bearing as well. Also make sure to check the rear axle components and also the rear differential brace for any stress cracks, might as well get this addressed if needed while everything is out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts