Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
That is what makes America GREAT, everybody get to have his/hers own opinion.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
That is what makes America GREAT, everybody get to have his/hers own opinion.
:agree:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Its not a car for everyone that is clear. But nather are the a lot of other cars out there. Buy what you like or what you want in life that is the point i think.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey, they still parked the Sky next to the Rolls in the do not touch area, so who cares? I still think my Sky drives and feels better than the Miata, but maybe I have more 'meat' on my bones to absorb the road shock that the Miata gives out.:lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
In a way I agree with a lot of it. What most reviewers (and hence people as more people read the review before looking at the car) miss is that the big items they find are really quite minor in the everyday driving 90% of us do. And, dispite their one comaprison, most of their faults are because it is NOT a $40,000 car. And give the roof a rest will ya?!?
For a person entering the sports/roadster car market it is still a great first step. Give GM/Saturn 5 years and it could become a real contender, not just for style (which it already wins hands down) but overall.:thumbs:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, I am 6' 2" and cannot fit INTO a Miata. And when a Mini Cooper is mentioned in the same article, it reminded me of . . . well actually, NOTHING came to mind. What I thought was, "WHAT?"

If the Sky had been introduced by ANY foreign car company, the review would have overlooked any perceived shortcomings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tend to agree on some on these issues, but I live with them because the cost of the car would provide these issues. About safety? Air bags help, no doubt. But side bags were not on common a few years ago for most cars. Give it time. If we all wanted bags, cargo, hardtop, speed, precise handling....we would all be buying 40-80K sport cars and we would still find things that "should" be. I for one love this car, I want to keep this car as long as possible then trade it in for a newer version down the road. It will be a lifelong pursuit to grow with this car.

Miata is where it is now after almost 2 decades...the nay sayers should give the Sky/Solstice a least half that time and see where they end up.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have to agree with everyone's comments.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That seems like a very legit article.

The car has its shortcomings, like all cars, and I think many were addressed -- it just depends if those shortcomings really matter to the potential buyer/owner (for instance I would not have bought side airbags nor do I care for the "feel" of the MX-5) but the waves this baby has created surely are impressive and across the board for a first year car under 25k. I also enjoyed the story about someone offering to buy it right from its primo spot next to the limos.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought the Article was pretty much right on the money.

A car thats in the "do not touch section" next to the Rolls --you'd expect a long list of shortcomings for $50,000 wouldn't you?

At $25,000 the car described word-for-word in this review qualifies as a certain home run.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Everyone I see who's looking at my Sky, when I have it parked or stopped, seems to have rave remarks about the look of the car. Some think it a BMW or Mercededes at first glance, then when they hear it's a Saturn Sky and the price. SHOCK I think the reviews are one persons opinion who have only driven the car a short while. The proof in the pudding is driving it all the time JMHO:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nighttripper said:
Everyone I see who's looking at my Sky, when I have it parked or stopped, seems to have rave remarks about the look of the car. Some think it a BMW or Mercededes at first glance, then when they hear it's a Saturn Sky and the price. SHOCK I think the reviews are one persons opinion who have only driven the car a short while. The proof in the pudding is driving it all the time JMHO:thumbs:
:agree:

·
Super Moderator
11,614 Posts
I had a couple grips about the article.

First, the car feels very connected to me and the road. The whole man and machine thing is definately there. Go into a corner too hot and the car does what you expect it to do. Get the rear out of shape a little and same thing.

Second, the top. I decided yesterday to see if I could put the top up and down WITHOUT getting out of the car and I was pretty sucessful. I found you CAN put the top down without getting out. That's right, I went from top up to top down without so much as opening a door. You have to be stopped somewhere with room behind you, but you can do it.

I found that you can reach out the driver's door and reach the trunk. Flip it up but you don't want it to go completly open, just enough to clear the roof. Undo the roof latch and put the roof in the trunk. Be sure to press it down completly. Put the car in reverse and just give it a little blip of throttle. If you have the trunk up just enough (about a 45 degree angle or so) it will come back down when you do this...it doesn't take much. Then you can shut the trunk by grabbing a hole in the bulkhead and quickly yanking the trunk down. It took me twice to get it to shut but with practice I could do it pretty easily. Still not as easy as a Miata...but then again a Miata doesn't look nearly as clean as our cars with the top down.

Putting it up I may be able to get it to where you only need to do the buttresses but you can raise the top from within the car.

Lastly, don't sit there and say how the car doesn't have a lot of power then complain it has no traction control.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Ernest you have it right, we all know that the Sky has some faults all cars do. But this is a very special car...people love it...I love it...some of the forum member can own any car they want..some have the Vipers, Vetts, A/H, and so on ..but they also have a SKY and feel lucky to have it. I agree I will also have my sky till my grandson can drive, and I will pass it on to him..and other Sky's will be in my future, but this first year Sky is the start of a legend that I will be part of.....SEAL9:cheers:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
AustinTashis said:
Since this is a magazine that deals with money and investing, you'd think they might have noticed that Solstices are selling for more used than their owners paid for them. It's one factoid about the car that actually has something to do with their area of expertise, but they didn't mention it.
.................:agree:

·
Registered
162 Posts
wt2ga said:
.................:agree:
As long as it handles as well as the '99' Malibu I have been driving for the past 7 years, I'll be totally satisfied. Since I don't have a whole lot to campare the Sky to, I'm bound to be happy. My hubby and I car pool 60 miles round trip on backup roads 5 days a week. We are so looking forward to doing this in the Sky, hopefully in the not too distant future.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
CNN Article said:
So I felt mostly the same about both cars, except for design -- the Solstice is nice, too, but it looks like a brown-bag lunch next to the Sky's silver-platter presentation.
See? I could never get away with posting anything like that.

Obviously the CNN reviewer has not reached the point of personal sophistimacation to know that all cars are equally good and attractive, and that pointing out differences only hurts peoples' feelings.

Shame on CNN. I bet they pick on politicians, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As far as handling, the test drive I took on the Sky was such an improvement over my last sportscar (yup a 1980 MGB) that if i wasnt sold on the looks and price prior to driving it, the test drive sealed my opinion of it being a great car. Yes i have drove a 2002 Vet, and several other cars. Its about being able to feel how the car drives. I drive a motorcycle as everyday vehicle for over 15 yrs now, and going from that (and it is a very positive feedback vehicle) to the Sky, I had no reservations in buying it. Now, I am just waiting to see when it gets here... :willy:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts