Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to install the GM CAI, but don't know whether it's a project that you can handle yourself? To help you decide, here are the instructions to review prior to making the big decision!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Very useful (and interesting) post! Thanks!

How'd you get this?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy... I bought the CAI!

I scanned the instructions and posted them here before sending it off to have it installed as part of my Borla Exhaust Project...

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
In all actuality, if you have the knowledge of how to use a screwdriver, some patience, and some common sense, that intake should be fairly easy to install. I have it too but I'm waiting on my car to go to Magnaflow for the exhaust fabrication before it goes on the car (and it's killing me seeing it sitting in my living room).

Just head to your local Harbor Frieght and pick up the Torx (not torque but sounds similar) sockets and you're good to go...assuming you have screwdrivers and socket wrenches at home already.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
jdigiant said:
Easy... I bought the CAI!

I scanned the instructions and posted them here before sending it off to have it installed as part of my Borla Exhaust Project...
Simply amazing...

That should have dawned on me sooner.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Takes in the neighborhood of 30 minutes or so. What takes the most time is taking the old air box off!:eek:

·
Registered
483 Posts
TexSon said:
Takes in the neighborhood of 30 minutes or so. What takes the most time is taking the old air box off!:eek:
Yeah, and taking off the stock system's grommets for use on the CAI's parts. :banghead:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warranty is fine...

This is a GM Component. You can buy it from your neighborhood dealer and have them install it, too. That way if it breaks or if they break something else doing it, they have to fix it.

Or you can do it yourself, easy enough...

Some people might wonder, "Why did you go with the GM CAI instead of the KappaSphere?"

Two reasons...

First, the GM CAI is CARB certified, which means I can have it on my car and still get my car smogged here in California. The KappaSphere is not CARB certified, which means I would have to go back to the factory Air Intake to get the car tested. KappaSphere says that they are working on CARB certification, but that's not done yet. So rather than be stuck, the GM made a lot of sense.

Second, with my car getting a Borla Cat-Back, and being tested and dynoed, it made sense to me (and Borla, too, I'm sure) to use the GM CAI for the testing. That way they can run GM Stock, GM Stock Intake/Borla Exhaust and GM Performance CAI/Borla Exhaust. That gives some nice numbers, and they can say, "If you buy our exhaust, upgrade your intake with the GM CAI and you will gain 'x' additional power. Your dealer can provide and install the CAI for you..." That sounds like a lot better sale than saying, "Buy this exhaust from us, the intake from some guys on the web that you never heard of, but be careful because it's not CARB certified and you can't get your car smogged." That's not a good sell.

So, for me, it was GM all the way.

Not that I have anything against KappaSphere - I have ordered some things from them and have been very pleased. (When I get my car back, be prepared for a KappaSphere Windscreen versus the Senoff model, complete with critique and photos!)

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
skl8260 said:
Yeah, and taking off the stock system's grommets for use on the CAI's parts. :banghead:
I haven't looked yet at the stock exhaust but would using a bit of soapy water or Simple Green make it any easier? I would think it might help a little.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts