Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think the optional cold-air intake worth it? it's basically a neccessary bolt-on for performance standards, i'm not thrilled with the 177-hp so another 8-10hp is slightly acceptable. the price is a little steep but its not a total difference from what i see prices go for cold-air intakes on ebay for solstices. would adding an aftermarket one void warranties? i figure a factory one wouldn't. most people i talked to so far say "go for it". i'm leaning towards getting it, but any advice?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Have you driven a Solstice. 177hp moves that little car. If you want 250+ hp you're going to pay for it. The idea of the Kappa was an affordable roadster to compete with the Miata.

I'm thinking about getting the CAI from the dealer but I'm not that hung up on the extra HP. If I was I'd be in line for the RL when it comes out next year.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
:agree:
rick112 said:
Have you driven a Solstice. 177hp moves that little car. If you want 250+ hp you're going to pay for it. The idea of the Kappa was an affordable roadster to compete with the Miata.

I'm thinking about getting the CAI from the dealer but I'm not that hung up on the extra HP. If I was I'd be in line for the RL when it comes out next year.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am gonna get one...I like the sound and the added fuel enonomy (if you drive it nice)

·
Registered
92 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
I am gonna get one...I like the sound and the added fuel enonomy (if you drive it nice)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, what an extra .5 mpg?? It will only take you 6 years to make up for that rediculious price they are charging. Not to mention you will like the sound of the intake so much you'll always accellerate harder just to hear it.. thus eliminating any possible increase.

CAI are great, but you can get the exact same one aftermarket for 1/3rd of the cost, and it will take you all of 20 min. to install.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If you have the GMPP one isntalled by your dealer it's covered by the base waranty for the 3 years/36000 miles. If you go after market it's covered by the makers warranty. Going after market will not void your warranty, but if the aftermarket part is proven to be the cause of a future issue then warranty work can possibly be denied by the dealership.

·
Registered
76 Posts
brentil said:
If you have the GMPP one isntalled by your dealer it's covered by the base waranty for the 3 years/36000 miles. If you go after market it's covered by the makers warranty. Going after market will not void your warranty, but if the aftermarket part is proven to be the cause of a future issue then warranty work can possibly be denied by the dealership.
The GM cai has a better solid bolt fitting and really looks better. Costs $365 at GM Direct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone think the optional cold-air intake worth it? it's basically a neccessary bolt-on for performance standards, i'm not thrilled with the 177-hp so another 8-10hp is slightly acceptable.
the price is a little steep but its not a total difference from what i see prices go for cold-air intakes on ebay for solstices. would adding an aftermarket one void warranties?

i figure a factory one wouldn't. most people i talked to so far say "go for it".

i'm leaning towards getting it, but any advice?

For more information about KEY please visit the website here www.jeepzine.com/best-cold-air-intake-for-dodge-ram/
When you install a cold air intake, you move the air filter outside of the engine compartment so that cool air can be sucked into the engine for combustion. This cool air is denser with oxygen, which means there is more fuel for combustion and more power for your vehicle.

·
Administrator
7,097 Posts
When you install a cold air intake, you move the air filter outside of the engine compartment so that cool air can be sucked into the engine for combustion. This cool air is denser with oxygen, which means there is more fuel for combustion and more power for your vehicle.
Sometimes that is correct, but with the Kappa, the stock intake already draws from outside the engine compartment, in the same place that the CAI is located, so that benefit does not exist. The stock intake is also very efficient, so the only real reason to install the CAI is appearance.

·
Super Moderator
11,614 Posts
This may be a record for reviving an old post...14 years.

On our 2.4 Skys (which was the only one available at the time of this thread), GMPP made an intake for the car and I had MagnaFlow install and dyno it before and after with their exhaust on the car. Peak WHP dropped by 1 hp but low and mid range power was noticeably improved both on the dyno and by the but dyno. Overall the torque curve flattened out nicely and made it a worth while upgrade.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This may be a record for reviving an old post...14 years.
True. It never gets old- in our community. Stock is stock until-it's not.
The GMPP tune with CAI was pricey, but came with warranty.
After market parts have a separate warranty that might in some cases can effect the OEM warranty.

Forced induction is the ticket in my book. Ram Air is a forgotten trick. GTO or Ram Air Firebird with scoops or reverse intake air feed off the wind shield- Cowl induction.
Another old trick with the round-ish air cleaner housing was to flip the lid over, there by
creating a 1/2 inch gap all the way around the air cleaner itself.
I did this on the Formula Firebird I owned and added two extended air feeder tubes to the cleaner itself. It did make a difference.

On our cars the snout of the air intake is short with little room for outside air to inject itself into the air cleaner compartment. More air, more fuel bigger bang.
I have made a small slight adjustment to my RL here.
Under the front chrome piece is the small black grill.
On the passenger side where the air intake is I drilled out several openings through the plastic- maybe 8-10.
Behind this is another piece of plastic with a metal support brace behind that.
Cutting away a small section of this plastic, and cutting out a small piece of the metal support allows air intake now through the now modified grill openings to force feed cool air from the outside into the air cleaner intake.

Has it made a difference? Not that I can tell- maybe. It does let fresh air in from the outside, outside of the heat from the engine compartment, but not limited to the ground up air draft from the plastic air dam under the car from the OEM design. I'm out of warranty anyway here, but I have not had to spent big bucks or major time with this alteration.
1/2 hour more or less.

On the old Firebird it took a trip the Home-Big Box store- for the black drainage pipe used
for extending downspouts, think I got 8 ft. worth plus 4 adaptors to fit. Little shade tree time, couple of adult beverages later- two snouts in the lower grill of the old Bird, winding around the the support bracket to the radiator, under two more supports, with a hacksaw alteration to one side of the OEM air cleaner. Attaching the other hose to the
factory air intake off the cleaner, made a huge difference to the get up and go to the original 4 barrel carb. Couple of wire ties, self tapping screws, black duc-tape for sealing up things. Some minor tweaking to the fittings and the 4 bbl. carb had new life.
New air filter- higher flow capacity than the OEM stock one, flipping the lid over and Bingo- Whoosh. It works.

LAC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts