Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just boned up and got the Cold Air Intake put on:eek: First let me say it cost plenty:brentil: But it really made a noticeable difference, I think it should come stock with it:D There is way more space under the hood now and I have a big pile of old plastic air intake parts that I may convert into a bong:lol:
The sound is a little less suppressed now, a little deeper I would say:thumbs: Makes me want to drive it even more :driving:

My little Red Rooster is crowing a little lower tone these days:lol:

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
RedSky2night said:
Well, I just boned up and got the Cold Air Intake put on:eek: First let me say it cost plenty:brentil: But it really made a noticeable difference, I think it should come stock with it:D There is way more space under the hood now and I have a big pile of old plastic air intake parts that I may convert into a bong:lol:
The sound is a little less suppressed now, a little deeper I would say:thumbs: Makes me want to drive it even more :driving:

Glad to hear it made a difference. What brand did u go with? The GM one?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
RedSky2night said:

What are your colour combinations? Did you get the Tan roof and Tan interior? Did you get the spoiler? If so can you post pictures?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
RedSky2night said:

:agree: :agree:

·
Registered
322 Posts
RedSky2night: I have several questions. Do you or does anyone out there (here?) know if there is a HP gain with the "cold air box".
Also what was/is the cost at Dealer?

IMHO, there should be some HP gain. K&N filters in other vehicles I have give me 1 to 3 HP depending when added to a "free flow exhaust".

Also: assuming the cold air fix, then what about a "cat back?"

Just applying figures from after market exhaust folks; they claim something in the 5 HP gain. Lets assume ( I know I know) a total of the possibly of a gain of 8 HP over stock. This would put us at 185HP.

If this is even close, its could be worth the $$$ to have. Anybody got a comment? Thanks.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
RedSky2night said:

WOW... you beat me to it.... GOOD FOR YOU....... now, ya gotta bring it out so Brian and I can see it.....SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
68 Posts
is anybody putting a Cold Air Intake on their redline?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've researched CAI s on the ecotec and the result is that I'd never waste my money on something so ineffective. The best results I've seen are an increase of 1 to 3 HP and a large increase in disagreeable noise. Also, if you mount the intake too low, watch out for water ingestion that will destroy the engine.
If you just think about what the system is doing, it's obvious that you're
not going to gain any noticeable power increase. The air going thru the intake travels so fast that it can't possibly heat up to the extent the CAI guys believe it will. The best way to test the efffect is to experiment - monitor the ECM and the incoming air temp sensor with and without the CAI , as well as the intake's temperature. This should NOT be done at idle, but at speed and
during acceleration after the engine is completely warmed up and the ambient temperature is the same for both tests. Then use the formulas that show power changes as a function of temp changes. In the past Pontiac used a hood ram induction setup, where obviously no temp buildup due to passage thru the intake system could have occurred - the air was dumped directly into the carb's throttle body. That resulted in a 5 HP increase for a V8 with somewhere around 250 HP. If GM ever publishes data for their CAI, I will examine the claims they make, but until then I'll believe the two dyno test sites that produced pitifully small gains for the ecotec with the CAI.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GM Cold air Intake

I went with the GM Cold Air Intake, Saturn said this keeps your warranty valid :thumbs: It cost $495.00 plus tax:banghead:
I was told it would get me about 6 horse more. My colors are Red with black cloth interior and no spoiler:cool: I tried to post my avatar but wasn't able I guess we must waite 30 days / 30 posts. I did try to include a picture but couldn't seem to make it happen... should I be able to post pictures? Skybaby has posted several pics of my car from her party:cheers: I haven't figured out how to shrink my pictures down yet:banghead: OK I figured it out:willy:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
NICE LOOKING SKY....REDSKY2NIGHT :cheers: :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are those Red lights flashing?

I'm looking forward to when my avatar will show:D I'm really liking the extra pep and sound from the Little Red Rooster:thumbs:
Kinda like cocka doodle varoom... do you hear a siren:banghead:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A definate difference!

I went to a "Cruz night" at a local restaurant and ended up showing my SKY :thumbs: There was plenty of interest even with all those classic cars there (I had a flag on my antenna too) :patriot:
After that I went out for a :driving: and I must say I'm liking the cold air intake even more:thumbs: There is a real difference in the getty up on my Little Red Rooster now..... it almost fly's :angel: Thru the magic of X-Rays here's what it looks like under my hood (taken from a UFO) note the chicken leg bone hooked to my intake:lol:

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Kool pic!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jaeysson said:
How available are the aftermarket parts? I would imagine there would only be a few right now. What's the best place to buy from right now?
This upgrade should be easy to get get because it fits the Solstice already:thumbs:
So anything that fits it should be available:D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rick you are great and I hope you get your sky soon!!

rick112 said:
What are your colour combinations? Did you get the Tan roof and Tan interior? Did you get the spoiler? If so can you post pictures?
You are always so excited for everyone and want to see pics and hear stories etc. I hope your car comes soon....You remind me of the little boy in the Disney World commercial who is going to the theme park and says..."i'm too excited to sleep!!!" You have waited a heck of a long time and and we ALL will be really happy when your Sky arrives at last!! :cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If anyone is considering the Cold air intake you won't regret it, it sounds great and the extra 6 ponys makes a noticable difference :rant: I predict a ticket is in my future:banghead: :driving: :drool: :nono: :willy: :cheers: :jester: :lol: Those just look cool:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Standard on Red Line?

trigeeks said:
is anybody putting a Cold Air Intake on their redline?
I think the CAI is standard on the Red Line - in part to counteract the effect of compressing the air (which heats it up) - and in part to help obtain the desired performance target.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts