Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see a white or silver Sky with a red top and red interior, green with a green top or a blue Sky with a blue top and blue /black interior. I can't understand why GM is limiting the top color combos so much to black and tan. Reminds me of the Henry Ford story that you can have any color you want as long as it's black. I'm sure that a subcontrator manufactures the tops so GM could specify any color it wanted, and the computer bringing the parts together on the assembly line, controls the color combinations. So why so limited? It would be interesting to see some of our photo cropers come up with some neat combos. Maybe GM will take notice. The Japanese and Germans do not have any trouble doing that.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Right on SkyFan! Love the car - but want a couple of more interior color choices. I know, I know, picky picky.

·
Registered
422 Posts
skyfan said:
.... I can't understand why GM is limiting the top color combos so much to black and tan..... So why so limited? .....The Japanese and Germans do not have any trouble doing that.
Hi skyfan,

same situation here in Germany.
There is no reason why you can get some combinations and others you can't get. In most cases it's not a question of technical problems, sometimes there are designing arguments (red seats in a red coloured car) or commercial aspects: you only get option A if you also take option B (option pakets).

If you have low production units like the Kappas, in some cases production costs may be an argument (for example too many different colours of ragtops).

And the Japanese cars here in Germany have the lowest possibilities in options, normally complete, only dealer installable options possible.

Last word to the Sky RL / Opel GT: In Germany we can only get 7 colours, because of the low demand in white and green in the USA these colours won't be offered in Germany :banghead: I had an eye on green/tan leather/black top. black top not possible with tan leather. :mad:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I would say for a first model year -- the combos are pretty good. After they see what is bought and what is requested -- later models will change and perhaps new combos will occur...

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
The colotr combo that I would like to see is the Yellow with the red and black interior. I think that would really look sharp. Saturn all ready has the parts. Just put in the car that I'm ordering.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree, for a first year car, they have alot of exterior color options.. and on a cloth top GM has not really had more choices in the past.. Think of corvettes, tan black white and I don't think there were any of top colors.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
fkeillor said:
The colotr combo that I would like to see is the Yellow with the red and black interior. I think that would really look sharp. Saturn all ready has the parts. Just put in the car that I'm ordering.
I'll be frank -- one dissapointment with Yellow is teh lack of options -- Black - premium ONLY. I was even toying with Yellow with tan?? What do you think??

But -- Black it is!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I'll be frank -- one dissapointment with Yellow is teh lack of options -- Black - premium ONLY. I was even toying with Yellow with tan?? What do you think??

But -- Black it is!
Yea Rick, Tan and Yellow would look great togeather.

Everyone does yellow and black, its to origenal.

I want something different. That why I think the red and yellow would just POP and say look at me, I'm to :cool: :cool: :cool: for my car.

I think SKY SPY in South Carolina said in another post that you could order the different color seat, door inserts, and steering wheel seperately form the parts department. I have me saleslady checking on that for me. That would be one way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I would say for a first model year -- the combos are pretty good. After they see what is bought and what is requested -- later models will change and perhaps new combos will occur...
:agree: I was thinking the same thing. While the first year has limited color combos, first I am quite happy with mine, this will give them some idea as to what works out, what others are looking for in the future, and what no one liked.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would rather they come up with a better option than having the silver around the window on all the colors before adding new combos.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
belletire said:
I would rather they come up with a better option than having the silver around the window on all the colors before adding new combos.
That could be part of the new color combos. Say that maybe you have the option to have it match the body color or maybe the color of your seats color inserts to pull that color from the interior.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
marklynn70 said:
That could be part of the new color combos. Say that maybe you have the option to have it match the body color or maybe the color of your seats color inserts to pull that color from the interior.
That would require them to paint the chassis a different color... Personally I have no problem with the silver, but you think the chassis would be BLACK. That would at least be a dark (Think accent) neutral color.
But the silver works fine with me -- just enough silver accents to pop the yellow even more...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:

But -- Black it is!
I almost bought a Crossfire convertible in yellow. It had an off white (almost a tan) dash and off white/tan and black leather seats. Two tone sterring wheel. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! Then I saw the Sky in a car show and that was that, If you get a chance to see a Crossfire in yellow, most of them have the tan interior. It was the sharpest interior I have ever seen. Occasionally you can see pictures in Ebay or Auto Trader of that combination.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
belletire said:
Right about the window trim. We're getting the silver pearl so that the window and trunk trim will match. Seems like the trim could be painted the same color as the rest of the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
fkeillor said:
I have been trying to talk my dealer to convince saturn to do that combo for me (I have a yellow car now w/red/black interior) But to no avail.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The windshield frame and behind the seats is actually part of the frame. It serves as a roll bar/cage. That would require to much extra and raise the production costs. That is why I am a Silverpearl nut, I like the looks of the single color, I am also a Red Leather nut. It doesn't matter what color a SKY is, they are all beautiful works of machinery. The silver does work on the Black Onyx, which is my second favorite, I am just to old and lazy to keep it clean:lol: :lol: The years are starting to catch up with me now, and I kinda got a hitch in my git along!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts