Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took off work early today and decided she wanted to thak the Sky for a little drive. 100 smiles later when she got home, she mentioned that the fender and door was a different color. There has been a lot about the yellow being different colors and I think I remember Rick Tinley Park posting something about a GM rep telling him that silver was the hardest color to get the body panels to match. This is what i saw with my feeble eyes. I think it depends on the light. If I stood toward the front of the car and looked toward the rear the drivers door and left rear fender looked like two different colors. If I stood at the rear and looked toward the front, both the fender and door looked the same. I thought the big difference would be between the metal body panels and the plastic bumpers. Actually the metal and plactic match really well.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
GaryH said:
My wife took off work early today and decided she wanted to thak the Sky for a little drive. 100 smiles later when she got home, she mentioned that the fender and door was a different color. There has been a lot about the yellow being different colors and I think I remember Rick Tinley Park posting something about a GM rep telling him that silver was the hardest color to get the body panels to match. This is what i saw with my feeble eyes. I think it depends on the light. If I stood toward the front of the car and looked toward the rear the drivers door and left rear fender looked like two different colors. If I stood at the rear and looked toward the front, both the fender and door looked the same. I thought the big difference would be between the metal body panels and the plastic bumpers. Actually the metal and plactic match really well.
:cool:
This car is like a stealth bomber. Try this experiment. If you stand away a bit look at the color at the door seam and the rear panel....
Keep looking - adjust your angle
OMG!! :willy: It's different (0n my yellow the two look very much different).
Now, with out changing angle -- just pop the door - don't open it.. Just release the door latch
WOW it is different again (may even match):willy: :confused: --- It's all lights and angles.
Since my first SC2 in 1994 -- Saturn has always had the most light-affected paint on any stock vehicle I have ever seen.
Don't worry -- it matches -:thumbs: - it's all smoke and mirrors!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Rick Tinley Park, you think you guys have paint oddities? My '99 SL2 Home coming edition has a unique paint colour called "GOLD GREEN". It's haunted by the ghost of ROGER SMITH, a regular poltergeist paint job. depending on the time of day, clouds, humidity and Dewars white label, it may change it's appearence ten or more times. Sometimes it may appear to be blue or grey.

I suppose it goes with the territory. As i've said before, "it ain't easy being...The GREEN Hornet".

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Agreed

Rick Tinley Park said:
:cool:
This car is like a stealth bomber. --- It's all lights and angles.
Don't worry -- it matches -:thumbs: - it's all smoke and mirrors!
On the Midnight Blue, which has metal-flake in it, it is quit noticable.
As a test, since I have seen previous threads on this, I went and looked at my Sky, from the same angle and location, but at different times of the day. I can see the paint change from shades of blue to almost black. "All Smoke and Mirrors" :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Seagull said:
On the Midnight Blue, which has metal-flake in it, it is quit noticable.
As a test, since I have seen previous threads on this, I went and looked at my Sky, from the same angle and location, but at different times of the day. I can see the paint change from shades of blue to almost black. "All Smoke and Mirrors" :thumbs:
Like my 1994SC2... id call it blue and people would be like "I thought it was black" or "isnt that more of a dark purple?"

Its a fabulous color and I would have gone with it but for the fact i have had it for 10 years on my old Saturn.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Like my 1994SC2... id call it blue and people would be like "I thought it was black" or "isnt that more of a dark purple?"

Its a fabulous color and I would have gone with it but for the fact i have had it for 10 years on my old Saturn.
My first SL was Silver Plum. Sometimes it looked Purple, some times it looked brown and sometimes you could see hints of silver in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts