Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you have installed colored caliper covers and need to know where you ordered from how much and how well do you like them. I've checked archived sections here but all the information is too old.
Thanks, Robert

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I bought these on Ebay for $11. I ended up buying two sets figuring I would eventually loose one or more while driving. So far so good as they have stayed on for a year and are still fitting very tight. If you stand three feet away and squint your eyes they look pretty good. When I need to do a brake job I will probably go with the real thing.
Red Fashion accessory
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Automotive tire
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Spoke

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
There is always these, but I doubt they have the same name recognition as the Brembos.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I just ordered two sets (same logic as MM) got them for $10.51 per set no shipping cost. Would prefer the Bimbo, but dont know what I got. The ad said "logo doesnt show in pictures but there is a logo". Maybe I will get lucky and get the "Bimbo". I always wanted a Bimbo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Look on amazon for "Endless" caliper covers.
They are metal unlike all the plastic ones. They adhere with a 2 part glue to the caliper surface just the same but dont make any noise because they are stiffer.
Look really good imo, and actually did cut down my brake dust on the wheels by a lot. Also affordable.
You will need the large size for the front, and medium for the rears(or large if you like).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm planning to paint my calipers using G2.
Good choice. Painted the callipers on my 2008 about a year after I bought it with that stuff and it STILL looks good. Used the Duplicolor kit before that and 6 months later the chips on the callipers in the paint were driving me crazy.
IMHO the G2 coating is the way to go for painting the calipers.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The metal covers are better than the cheap plastic ones. We had a guy that just had to have some on his BMW - bought them on ebay. Stuck them on his fronts and they melted when he came down a local mountain using the brakes more than he would in regular traffic. Paid over $100 for them, too.

Think they had a one star Ebay feedback rating, but it isn't as much fun reading those any more as ebay seems to be not showing the really negative comments any more.

Best of all is to paint the calipers - more work, but much better results.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Caliper covers are a real "Turn-Off" to me. I can't bring myself to consider them. But to each his own.

I have painted calipers a few times now. Preparation is critical.

The first time, I cleaned the iron materials using ZEP calcium/lime/rust remover. It worked good but took a lot of effort. Also the etching into the iron was a bit excessive. Another issue with the acid was that after the required water rinse, drying is required which reintroduces a minor amount of rust. Air-dry, fan-dry, compressed-air-dry, hot-blow-dryer-dry yields various amounts of the honey-colored rust film.

Since that first painting project, I had access to a good sand blaster. The results from sand blasting were much better, offering the right amount of roughness to the metal. Also there was no drying required so they remained rust-free when painting.

The example given here is my mother's 16 year old 2002 Chevy Tracker in 2018 with just over 20,000 miles. She rarely drove her Tracker and she parked it outside on the street in front of her house where Chicago street salt trucks did so much damage. My goal was to get the vehicle looking like that 20,000 miles for resale purposes. I took the wheels in for sandblasting & powder-coated restoration ($50/wheel) which had the greatest impact. But the badly rusted calipers could not be ignored.

After Sandblasting

Installed After Painting

With Restored Wheels

This is what I started with, a real mess.

This was an extreme case, shared to provide an example of "How Bad" can turn into "How Good".

On my Sky here, I plan to do the same to my front cast iron calipers & brackets along with new Bosch QuietCast rotors and pads.

My rears calipers made of alloy, will clean up nicely using standard cleaning products and scrub brushes. New rotors and pads to compliment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.