Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have info on how to color your calipers? What paint to use, do u have to take them off the rotors or can u leave them on....any info u have would be appreciated. The spacing between the chrome rims are large and this would make a considerable improvement.

MarlboroMike

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Someone was suggesting powercoating them. I was wondering if there was something aftermarket. There is also some kinda decal you seem to be able to put on them after you paint them. See the Solstice site.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have painted my calipers and is really very easy, you can see them in my pics in my sig.

I used Dupli-color kit that I got at wal-mart for $15. They come in black, yellow, red, blue and silver. I used my floor jack with a special lifting pad that fits into the oval slots in the kappa frame lifting points. The lifting pad costs $19 and is from the corvette lifting pad, if you are going to change your oil and do other things you might as well get one. Do not use the brush in the kit, it is crap, go buy a #8 brush at craft store, or wal-mart when you get the paint.

I did one wheel at a time, the rear ones are the harder ones because there is a wire retainer easy to take of but can be difficult to put back on.
1. Remove wire retainer, paint those silver if you like.
2. Release hand brake, Remove the caliper with #7 hex, 2 bolts. Slide caliper off (watch to make sure the pads do not fall on concrete) let caliper hange.
3. Remove braket using 16mm wrench 2 bolts. Paint bracket 3 times, each coat dries in 10-15 minutes.
4. Paint caliper with 3 coats. On the inside of the caliper you will see machined areas, do not paint this areas.
5. Put the bracket back on. Put the pads back on the rotor, slide the caliper back on and bolt up.
6. Do not put the wire retainer back on, the calipers need to fully cure dry 24 hours. Put the wheel back on and go to the front wheel.
7. After a day drying, take rear wheel off put retainer wire back on, can be tricky and scratch the paint, if it does just touch up.
The front ones are the easiest, no wire retainers, do the same as above.

In reference to decals I just got mine in the mail yesterday from xenonmods. The decals say SOLSTICE in the solstice font, and come in diff colors. I actually supplied the detailed dimensions of the front and rear brakes to them in order for them to be made. I am sure they will be making the sky decals as well, they sell for $8 and no SH charges, just mail.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice pics, thanks for posting! When I take the calipers off of my car I like to hold them up with some saftey wire instead of letting them hang by the flexible brake line. If you drop the caliper and the brake line arrests its fall, or if you repeatedly hang the caliper from the brake line (changing brake pads) the brake line can crack and start to leak. You can get a roll of safety wire at any autoparts store and hanging the caliper from the strut or suspension arms only takes a minute. :thumbs:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sky_Flyer said:
Nice pics, thanks for posting! When I take the calipers off of my car I like to hold them up with some saftey wire instead of letting them hang by the flexible brake line. If you drop the caliper and the brake line arrests its fall, or if you repeatedly hang the caliper from the brake line (changing brake pads) the brake line can crack and start to leak. You can get a roll of safety wire at any autoparts store and hanging the caliper from the strut or suspension arms only takes a minute. :thumbs:
I used a block for it to rest on, and they are very heavy.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I do not like

To each his own - but for my money the last thing I would want is red or other bright color calipers. In my personal opinion it looks really bad, especially say on a yellow car. Now, if you were going to paint them the same color as the body, or black, or get them chrome plated, maybe I could go for that. I would think you'd have to be concerned about heat - or does not much of the heat of friction get transfered to the outer casing of the caliper? The moving part inside is separate from the out casing by a rubber bearing and the hydraulic brake fluid - so I suppose more of the heat would get transfered to the brake fluide/lines than anywhere else.

Years ago I spray painted a set of headers with off the shelf silver paint - and man did it stink when the heat of the pipes burned off all the paint.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
SolSky_Designs said:
I have painted my calipers and is really very easy, you can see them in my pics in my sig.

I used Dupli-color kit that I got at wal-mart for $15. They come in black, yellow, red, blue and silver. I used my floor jack with a special lifting pad that fits into the oval slots in the kappa frame lifting points. The lifting pad costs $19 and is from the corvette lifting pad, if you are going to change your oil and do other things you might as well get one. Do not use the brush in the kit, it is crap, go buy a #8 brush at craft store, or wal-mart when you get the paint.

I did one wheel at a time, the rear ones are the harder ones because there is a wire retainer easy to take of but can be difficult to put back on.
1. Remove wire retainer, paint those silver if you like.
2. Release hand brake, Remove the caliper with #7 hex, 2 bolts. Slide caliper off (watch to make sure the pads do not fall on concrete) let caliper hange.
3. Remove braket using 16mm wrench 2 bolts. Paint bracket 3 times, each coat dries in 10-15 minutes.
4. Paint caliper with 3 coats. On the inside of the caliper you will see machined areas, do not paint this areas.
5. Put the bracket back on. Put the pads back on the rotor, slide the caliper back on and bolt up.
6. Do not put the wire retainer back on, the calipers need to fully cure dry 24 hours. Put the wheel back on and go to the front wheel.
7. After a day drying, take rear wheel off put retainer wire back on, can be tricky and scratch the paint, if it does just touch up.
The front ones are the easiest, no wire retainers, do the same as above.

In reference to decals I just got mine in the mail yesterday from xenonmods. The decals say SOLSTICE in the solstice font, and come in diff colors. I actually supplied the detailed dimensions of the front and rear brakes to them in order for them to be made. I am sure they will be making the sky decals as well, they sell for $8 and no SH charges, just mail.

What ya all think of YELLOW calipers on my midnight blue sky????? SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Heat resistant paint. But hubby should know that. Skip......

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
SkyBaby said:
What ya all think of YELLOW calipers on my midnight blue sky????? SkyBaby-07
Wretched. Just have them done in pink. We all know all to well that's what you really want.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
reedred said:
Wretched. Just have them done in pink. We all know all to well that's what you really want.

TY... TY.... I GOT PERMISSION TO DO IT NOW.!!!!!.. TYTYTYTYTY.... PHEW... i was worried about that for a while..... see, as long as ANYONE ELSE SAYS IT IS OK... then.... it shall be done...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
120 Posts
redkeygunsky

Nice job on the red calipers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice work!
This thread is 5 years old, wonder if I'll get a reply??
Just wondering did the decals stay on the calipers or did they fall off because of the heat?
your paint is heat resistant but your decals are probably not, right?

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I can not believe who is asking this ?.
I 2nd tat Jim. Great to meet you at MOD 8.
Just don,t do Red. lol
LLLFLY

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Nice work!
This thread is 5 years old, wonder if I'll get a reply??
Just wondering did the decals stay on the calipers or did they fall off because of the heat?
your paint is heat resistant but your decals are probably not, right?
My decals stayed on fine. I used a heat resistant clear coat over the decals,works perfect!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
332 Posts
my setup

G2 caliper paint kit is the best I've found out there. Painted the calipers on my SC430 2 years ago and still hasn't faded or chipped.

black calipers, black rotors, white Brembo sticker :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
My Duplicolor did not hold up.
There is a more expensive buy higher quality kit out that from G2.

It's worth the extra money so you don't have to touch up every year to 18 months.

Other than that, it's the exact same process.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Or if your not able (as talented) to do the whole remove and paint thing yourself.....you can cover them up like I did..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts