Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the midst of deciding on a) Honda S2000, b) Sky Red Line, and c) GPX. Has anyone herer driven either a Miata or S2000. Yes, they are different, but as I am going to autocross whatever I get, I would like some impressions about the Miatas and S2000. I will give me a point of reference that I don't have as I have not driven either.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Both my sisters have Miatas. I got to drive one in Florida... First time I had been in a stick since a couple of Porsches that I had. I am six-foot-one. My shins pressed into the underside of the dashboard with the seat all the way back. The top of the windshield was in my line of sight. I had to scrunch to see under it or get bugs on my sunglasses to see over it.

It was fun, but just too darned small. My SKY fits me like a glove. I think it corners better. I didn't push the Miata to the limit, but my SKY power seems really right for the car. The Red Line should be "crazy fast."

After driving a Miata for a few days I knew I could never own one. As for the S2K, it has the same boring styling as a Miata with an extra ten grand hole in your bank account.

In my opinion the SKY Red Like will be vastly superior to both. It will cost marginally more than the Miata, but will be better equipped and way more power. It will come in under the S2K in terms of dollars for a much superior car. I heard Honda is discontinuing the S2000 - I am not surprised. There is nothing there.

If you want to drive a car that nobody will notice, get a Miata or a S2000. If you want a special car that looks great and people notice, get a SKY. If you want a SKY that is crazy-fast, get a Red Line.

There ya go.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would suggest searching the threads for the comparisons...

But anyway, the Sky rides sooo much nicer than the miata. The Sky is Much smoother, and the bumps don't kill your behind like the Miata.
The Sky corners very, very nice and is well balanced.
The engine is better in the Sky too.

But hey, if you want an opinion, I would go for the Sky...but the Miata will be MUCH MUCH easier to buy as they have so many sitting on the lots...makes you wonder why...hmmmm.:lol:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nobody has really driven a Red Line yet but driving a regular Sky feels more like a Vette then a Miata. You sit on top of a Miata, you sit down in a Sky. Miatas are fun to drive in a parking lot but I prefer high speed sweeping turns instead. The MX5 feels like a smaller car then the Sky which is great in a parking lot but bad going fast on a real road course. You can throw it around but it has a too much body sway and suspension travel.

S2000s are annoying to drive daily. They are so slow down low in the rev range that you can't just drive it and be comfortable. Screaming up to 9,000 RPMS is fun but not when you have to do it all the time to get the car moving. They handle very well and the shifter is great, I just hate the torqueless motor.

The Red Line is going to be a 5.0-5.5 0-60 car with 3.53 gears so you have a little torque monster. Go check out the dyno graph at GM Power Train and read up more on the Ecotec. I'm an engine guy and I love the Red Line for it's engine! Essentially it's a bigger car with a bigger engine. It will be faster then the S2000 and MX5 and hold more lateral Gs which is what Im looking for.

Not to mention it's an awesome looking car. The Red Line with the blacked out headlight should look even better!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
comparing cars

I agree with most points.

HOWEVER!!!

I currently autocross a B/SP Triumph TR8. It is HOPELESS against B/SP S2000's. SO I am going to change cars. After discussing the Solstice/Sky with SCCA is seems that that the GPX/Redline will go to A/Stock against the S2000. The S2000 is wicked in A/Stock. The Sky Redline will carry a 150-200 lbs load into the class against the S2000 and have the issue of much more weight in the wheel/tire package as the S2000 runs either 16" or 17" combos. It does matter. BUT, if the published power specs are correct, the 2.0 turbo EcoTech will kill the S2000 in the torque world. That is why I am looking for relative comparisons.

Side note: Drove a demo Sky today. Nice car. It had a body squeak somewhere!! If I by the GM car it will be a Sky because a) the dealers knew SOMETHING about their product, and b) a GPX is only about a few hundred bucks cheaper for exactly the same equipment!!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I had a Miata, I sold it.....I love my SKY it takes me back to the fun days when I owned a Austin Healy 100-6...But the sky has a much nicer ride..I have not enjoyed a car like I enjoy this one for so long...GET THE SKY....Seal9:lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bradyb,

You are NOT kidding about sitting IN the sky. I really enjoyed driving one today. But I HATED the review mirrors (no lower/outside corners to speak of) and the right "headrest" creates a blind spot over your shoulder. Another annoying point was the brightwork around the speedo/tach reflected the sun. Minor issues, all.

seal9,

An A.H 100-6?!?!?!?! With a GT6 and a modifed TR8 in the driveway, I have to wonder which one of us has the greater sickness! After diving a Sky today, I can only hope that the extra torque and hp in the RedLine is "all there", because it (the 177 engine) really felt like it was working hard.

I am pretty sure that I will be ordering one this week despite my small list of negatives. If I had the extra money I would order two and throw one on e-bay as soon as it came in!!!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
snaponbob said:
I agree with most points.

HOWEVER!!!

I currently autocross a B/SP Triumph TR8. It is HOPELESS against B/SP S2000's. SO I am going to change cars. After discussing the Solstice/Sky with SCCA is seems that that the GPX/Redline will go to A/Stock against the S2000. The S2000 is wicked in A/Stock. The Sky Redline will carry a 150-200 lbs load into the class against the S2000 and have the issue of much more weight in the wheel/tire package as the S2000 runs either 16" or 17" combos. It does matter. BUT, if the published power specs are correct, the 2.0 turbo EcoTech will kill the S2000 in the torque world. That is why I am looking for relative comparisons.

Side note: Drove a demo Sky today. Nice car. It had a body squeak somewhere!! If I by the GM car it will be a Sky because a) the dealers knew SOMETHING about their product, and b) a GPX is only about a few hundred bucks cheaper for exactly the same equipment!!
People had the same type of misgivings about the Solstice vs the 99 Miata Sport and new MX-5 in C-Stock, but if you take a look for being 400~500 lbs heavier and running 18" rims the Solstice Z0K cars are taking a lot of first places against 7 years of proven race technology in their first year.

If you're looking for more of a race winning car then a daily driver+race car I suggest the Solstice GXP since you can get it without AC and OnStar.

The GXP/RL will have the same FE3 Suspension, LSD, and ABS as the Z0K Solstices which are winning now, but add front brake cooling ducts and the much more powerful motor to the mix. 250 ft-lbs of Torque at 1500 RPM sounds nice to me, and all 260 ft-lbs at 2500 RPM.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
MY first Love....

seal9 said:
I had a Miata, I sold it.....I love my SKY it takes me back to the fun days when I owned a Austin Healy 100-6...But the sky has a much nicer ride..I have not enjoyed a car like I enjoy this one for so long...GET THE SKY....Seal9:lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
wt2ga said:
hey move those headlights to the front fenders and it will look alot like a Solstice:)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good points.

But, a couple of counter points;
1) If there was a stripped version of the GPX it would be a "class killer"!!!
2) The Sky apparently weighs about 100 lbs more than a non-air Solstice. I only WISH that I was good enough that 100lbs made a difference.:lol:
3) NOT having a/c will be a minor weight issue but a significant resale issue.

My only real concern is that the GPX/RedLine falls short of the S2000 in A Stock (where I think it will be classed). But, if it is a turd in the class (I doubt it) then the Sky will resell in a hurry.:thumbs:

Now, which color should I buy?:willy: So MANY really important decisions!!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
snaponbob said:
All good points.

2) The Sky apparently weighs about 100 lbs more than a non-air Solstice. I only WISH that I was good enough that 100lbs made a difference.:lol:

My only real concern is that the GPX/RedLine falls short of the S2000 in A Stock (where I think it will be classed). But, if it is a turd in the class (I doubt it) then the Sky will resell in a hurry.:thumbs:

i think the Solstice is called a GXP.... I am not worried about the weight since i weigh close to 300 pounds and i am happy... :)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
snaponbob said:
All good points.

Yeah I wish GM was making a Z0K/Club Sport of the GXP car, but they're not yet. We didn't know there would be a Z0k/Club Sport Solstice till after cars were being made though so who knows, maybe they will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts