Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Currently have a CRX Si, my fourth. A local used car dealer has a Sky on his lot. Always thought they were slick looking cars. Been driving a CRX for 31 years and the current one since 2009. Feeling the itch. Haven't looked at the Sky other than driving by it twice a day. Had a friend look at it for me as he used to be a mechanic at a Ford and later Dodge dealership.

It's a turbo with 97k miles, all leather interior, 5 speed manual (yay!). He didn't see any obvious body issues. He didn't see Red Line anywhere but from my reading only those models had the turbo? All owner reviews I've read loved the car.

What should I be concerned about maintenance service wise when I go check it out myself? What is expected life of vehicle? My CRX has 230k on the clock, is 32 years old, and is still running like a top. Just looking at getting something else. The dealer is asking around $8k for the car.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Seats should have Redline embroidered on the head rest area. The head lights will have black under the glass look.

Engine cover will say Ecoo Tec Turbo on it if it is still there.

97K is a lot of miles but if taken care of should give you quite a few more. Check to see if the water pump has been replaced. Be sure the tires are up to date. Make sure the turn signals, key fob all work. 8K with that many miles the rest you shouldn't have to spend a lot on it to fix.

Look at the top and see if there are any wear spots. Where the top bends, sometimes there are cuts in the fabric under that rail. That will need to be fixed if it is torn.

If it meets with your inspection, have a ball with it. They are very fun cars. Good luck and welcome to our group!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Make sure the waterpump has been replaced. That's a $1200 repair and not easy because they are timing chain driven. Make sure the clutch is good....another expensive repair...about $2500 because, according to the shop manual, the diff has to be dropped to do it. At any rate, it's like 14 hours book time. And make sure the top is in good shape. Just the top alone is anywhere from $2500 to over $4k depending on used, new or reskined. Not trying to scare you off, just trying to prepare you for ownership!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a NA ... not a Redline. A waterpump install was less than 500 - including the cost of a new pump.

Ah. I got a new top - not the complete assembly - the price as 1500 including shipping and 400 for the install.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You have to be very careful when increasing horsepower and performance. A bad tune will destroy your engine and bang shifting will destroy your drivetrain. But there are good tunes and good drivers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts